Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: A Case for Cowher

Gibbsisgod2006

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 11:22 AM ET, 01/ 8/2008

The Case For Cowher

There are definitely some people in this building who believe that Cowher fits the bill for what Snyder would be attracted to. Had a couple of people tell me that this makes a lot of sense to them. Now, as I mentioned earlier Cowher would want full roster and personnel control and probably want to bring some of his own people in as well on that side of things, and it could mean that someone like Vinny Cerrato got shifted to more of a consulting role as well.

But I spoke to a source who knows Cerrato well who said he believes it will be Bill Cowher. He thinks that Cowher will get the keys to the kingdom and become the first $10-million coach, or in that range. "He's going to want the power Parcells had in Dallas," the source said. "Cowher's going to want to shop for the groceries. He lives in North Carolina, that keeps him pretty close to his home. I think that's where this thing is going."

Given the heavy powers that someone like Cowher would hold, he would likely get a title similar to what Gibbs had, and thus that would continue to render a GM moot in the management structure.

So, from what I can gather so far, and we're way early in this process, Williams and Cowher are the names to watch. People around the league have told me that Snyder and his people soured on Gregg after the 2007 season - it's usually hot today, not tomorrow around here - and were somewhat lukewarm at midseason, but became big fans again down the stretch, particularly after the Minnesota game. Still, these guys think indications point toward Cowher.

Bill Cowher is without a doubt the biggest fish out there, and has a Super Bowl on his resume to boot, and that's usually who they target around here.

THe NFL has rules mandating that teams interview minority candidates for these openings, which means the process generally takes some time even if club's essentially have made up their mind on a candidate. Greg Blache, the Redskins' defensive coordinator, has much expereince at the coordinator level, would fit that description, but he also has no head coaching aspirations, sources said, and has been mulling retirement himself for some time. So I don't think he would want to be a part of any dog and pony show; that's the opposite of Greg's style.

Archived