Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rob Johnson

Ignatius J.

I'm confused.

We sign a backup QB to a backup QB deal some people on this board goes crazy....

I'm not sure why though. We wanted a QB who likes to throw deep. We wanted a QB that would come to a town where there is an entrenched #1 QB. We wanted someone who isn't going to make trouble wanting to be the starter. We didn't want to pay a lot of money.

I can't really think of a single QB who fits that bill, can you?

-DB

edit: Also, with our new and improved O-line, shouldn't the fact that this guys biggest weakness aligns with a strength of our team hold some weight?

We needed a veteran backup and Johnson was pretty cheap at a million a year. He has been a bust overall in his career according to most. Hopefully, he can get into the habit of working with a three to five step drop and getting rid of the ball quickly and break his habit of holding the ball until he is sacked. I'm not the biggest Rob Johnson fan, or even a small one, but it's not a bad pickup IMO. Now let him hold the clipboard keep Ramsey healthy with the new OL.

How does Rob Johnson=Jeff George?

That makes no sense. The ONLY time there has been any turmoil involving Johnson was in Buffalo between him and Doug Flutie, and the Bills got rid of Flutie. He is not a coach Killer like George, he was the back up on a world championship team last year.

He is here as Ramsey's BACKUP!!!!

He is not the starter.... again, he is not the starter.

He is an upgrade over DW or Shane.... nuff said.

Rob Johnson is just not a good guy at all for team chemistry. He rocks the boat, complains, is self-centered as opposed to team centered, and you know that he still wants to be a starter.

I would've preferred a guy who still had the mental strength but lacked the physical ability (as opposed to Johnson, who's the opposite). We want a teacher for Ramsey, not a competitor.

That said, his flaky decisions on the field -- he has the highest sack-per-dropback percentage in active QBs, even more than David Carr -- make it unlikely he'll cause difficulty for Ramsey. In a pinch, he won't kill us. But I would've preferred a more stable guy -- Tony Banks is a good example of a guy who is a perfect backup.

Originally posted by BD

Rob Johnson is just not a good guy at all for team chemistry. He rocks the boat, complains, is self-centered as opposed to team centered, and you know that he still wants to be a starter.

I would've preferred a guy who still had the mental strength but lacked the physical ability (as opposed to Johnson, who's the opposite). We want a teacher for Ramsey, not a competitor.

That said, his flaky decisions on the field -- he has the highest sack-per-dropback percentage in active QBs, even more than David Carr -- make it unlikely he'll cause difficulty for Ramsey. In a pinch, he won't kill us. But I would've preferred a more stable guy -- Tony Banks is a good example of a guy who is a perfect backup.

How do you back this up? Rob Johnson backed up in Jacksonville and never caused a problem, he backed up in Buffalo and never caused a problem, (the problem in Buffalo was that half the team hated Flutie and would have rather had Johnson as the starter... Don't forget, Flutie was the one with the problem being a back up)

.... and he was the back up last year in tampa without incident...

I'm not a R. Johnson fan at all.

He doesn't seem to know how to read a defense and is indecisive when he's in the pocket. The times I've seen him play it seems like when he has the slightest bit of pressure he escapes the pocket and either runs, throws an INT or gets sacked.

From what I've seen he doesn't step up into the pocket and find the open receiver.

Maybe things will be different here in D.C., but I hope to hell the only time we see him for any amount of time is in preseason.

Originally posted by redskin56

I'm not a R. Johnson fan at all.

He doesn't seem to know how to read a defense and is indecisive when he's in the pocket. The times I've seen him play it seems like when he has the slightest bit of pressure he escapes the pocket and either runs, throws an INT or gets sacked.

From what I've seen he doesn't step up into the pocket and find the open receiver.

Maybe things will be different here in D.C., but I hope to hell the only time we see him for any amount of time is in preseason.

Do you think he's going to beat out Ramsey? Do you think he will get significant playing time?

NO an NO.

So what's the problem?

I'm not a R Johnson fan and I still believe J George if he kept his mouth and ego in check would be a star in this offense. What a waste of talent.

Maybe S Double can coach R Johnson up and teach him how to make quick reads and quick releases.

Originally posted by NavyDave

I'm not a R Johnson fan and I still believe J George if he kept his mouth and ego in check would be a star in this offense. What a waste of talent.

Maybe S Double can coach R Johnson up and teach him how to make quick reads and quick releases.

I'm not a Johnson fan, but I don't think he's a head case and I don't think he will hurt the team......

But Ramsey is the starter, I hope Johnson never sees the field.:cheers:

Originally posted by redskin56

....He doesn't seem to know how to read a defense and is indecisive when he's in the pocket. The times I've seen him play it seems like when he has the slightest bit of pressure he escapes the pocket and either runs, throws an INT or gets sacked....

Damn, you have a keen eye. Couldn't have been more of an honest and true evealuation. Could be the reason he is the most sacked QB per attempt.

Rob Johnson could make a fine back-up. He's certainly had experience being #2. My main problem with him is his tendancy to get hurt. The guy gets knocked out of hal fthe games he plays in ... almost literally.

Still, if he can accept the back-up role (and it sounds like he has) and stay healthy when and if he's called upon I think it wasn't a bad move.

I would, however, hate to see Spurrier have a real quick hook with Ramsey and start going back and forth between the two.

Do you think he's going to beat out Ramsey? Do you think he will get significant playing time?

I never stated that he would beat out Ramsey nor that he would get significant playing time.

All I'm stating is my opinion about the player. I'm not a big Rob Johnson fan. I liked him coming out of college, but he really hasn't done anything of any importance in the NFL. He is a good backup as long has he doesn't have to see the field very much. I think he'd be OK in a game here or there if Ramsey has a minor injury and is held out of a game or two.

My point is that I am not impressed with him, I would have hoped that the Skins could have picked up a better back up. After having said that though, no name really comes to mind that would be cheaper and a better fit except maybe Tony Banks, but that train has already left the station in D.C.

As I stated originally, my only hope is the most amount of time that we see Johnson is in preseason and on the sidelines during the regular season.

Who knows, maybe SS and company can get him to read through the progessions and make better decisions. No one to date has been able to, but the future remains to be seen.

Archived