Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Virginia Beach might be new home for Training Camp(merged)

Skeletor The Invincible

Guest ComebackKing

I've enjoyed the 15 minute drive to training camp in Ashburn the past 2 years that I've attended. I would hate to see it moved over 3 hours away from me.

Just found this. Anyone heard any truth to this? Will this pass?

Virginia Beach wants to be Redskins training site in 2009

Saturday, Jan 5, 2008 10:29 am EST

Virginia Beach officials have asked the Washington Redskins to consider relocating their summer training camp beginning in 2009, city officials said Friday according to a Washington Post report.

City officials familiar with the talks said the Redskins would train at the Sportsplex, a facility in Virginia Beach. Team officials have asked the city to provide $2.5 million in upgrades, including a weight-training facility and an additional practice field. The Virginian-Pilot first reported the proposal.

The team's relationship with the city stems from the Redskins Beach Blitz, which attracts more than 5,000 fans to the Virginia Beach Convention Center. The third annual weekend event, scheduled for May, includes interactive games, clinics by players and autograph sessions. About 40 players and coaches participate. The Redskins' training camp has been at Redskins Park, the team's headquarters in Ashburn, since 2003.

Source: Washington Postnewwin12_1.gif

Related: Washington Redskins

Redskins officials probably like Va. Beach because of the annual Beach Blitz they have every year. From my experience going to Redskins Training Camp, it normally takes about 4 1/2 to 5 hours to drive from Va. Beach to Ashburn and vice versa. Sometimes it may take longer especially if you're going to rest stops on I-64 or I-95 and have heavy traffic along the way. When I did that during last August, it took me about 5 to 5 1/2 hours to drive from Va. Beach to Ashburn because I stopped at certain rest stops along the way and traffic was somewhat backed up as well. In my opinion, I have mixed reviews on this idea.

What?! Why? What, are they driving to Georgia? :yikes:

I cant imagine the Skins leaving Redskin Park for any other location. They said they left Carlisle because it could not offer all the neccesary tools that RP affords. All I remember about them leaving Pa for Va is that they said the bartenders in carlisle wore armbands (much like in Philly) in honor of losing Sonny. lol. HTTR

This is about the TEAM!!!!!!

It has no business being in Ashburn. A real diehard fan would go to Carlisle. Training camp in Ashburn is a circus not to mention the faculty at Redskins Park treat you like dirt. I had a couple things stolen they acted liked they didn't care. Carlisle was fun and reaal relaxing, I want it back there. Virginia Beach isn't high on my list but it be better than Ashburn, players need to get away from coaches for a few weeks to focus on football

I thought the whole reason have having Redskins Park was to have the facility closer to the area and Fedex Field?

Wouldn't it defeat the whole purpose of leaving the college in PA if we're just going to move the same distance (maybe a little less) in the opposite direction?

VA Beach would just be more of a distraction. I think they need to go back to Carlisle or another small secluded area. I think that having in a large beach town would be a big distraction to the players.

I think the only reason the Redskins would explore this possibility is because they would be getting paid a lot for the revenue brought to the city.

All year :deal:

Nope. Sounds like just for training camp in the summer.

"The Washington Redskins could be calling Virginia Beach their summer home as soon as 2009.

Redskins officials are in preliminary talks with city staff to move the team’s training camp to the Virginia Beach Sportsplex in a deal that would bring professional football players, coaches and their legion of fans to the region each summer."

would be way too sweet!!! when all the bigwigs from dc along with everyone else gets to enjoy the I-64 traffic, then maybe somebody will realize that it needs to be widened from the hampton roads tunnel all the way to I-95...let them feel my pain when heading out to watch the 'skinz!

it would be too fine to run into a player here in the area!

Archived