Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Coach of the Year??

KSSKIN

i saw on pti today that somebody asked if gibbs should be coy. i can't remember which "knucklehead" it was but they said no because bill belichick should get it hands down. i disagree...simply because he cheated. just like shawne merriman didnt get def. mvp last year belicheat should be discounted because he is a cheater and didn't do it the right way! i'm not saying that it should definately be gibbs by the way. i can see del rio, crennel, mccarthy up there as well. what do you think?

P.S. SKINS 24 shehawks 13

i saw on pti today that somebody asked if gibbs should be coy. i can't remember which "knucklehead" it was but they said no because bill belichick should get it hands down. i disagree...simply because he cheated. just like shawne merriman didnt get def. mvp last year belicheat should be discounted because he is a cheater and didn't do it the right way! i'm not saying that it should definately be gibbs by the way. i can see del rio, crennel, mccarthy up there as well. what do you think?

I heard the same about Coach Gibbs today on T.V. Belicheat has had a great season but what would happen if the Skins & Pats ended up in the superbowl...lets say the Skins won...who would get COY?

HTTR!!!

agreed. And in the Washington Post this morning, I think Shapiro? not sure wrote that Gibbs should be coach of the year b/c all the adversity we as a team have been through and how he's lead us through it.

tomlin, mccarthy, crennel, del rio, and gibbs are the only ones to win coach of the week twice this season. tomlin won it twice early in the year. both times that del rio and gibbs have won it were the last quarter of the season...when it gets down to the nitty gritty. imo its between the two of them

If New England loses at all, I think Gibbs has a serious shot. If not, I mean I want Gibbs to win, but Bellichek would/should get it.

would but not should. i think somebody should say something (ie jason taylor last year) about a cheater being dq'd for post season awards. probably wouldn't help anyway though

Are you kidding me? Gibbs might not be getting the award but there is no way in hell Belicheck gets this honor. The man was fined 500,000 dollars. Lost his team its first round draft pick. Got the team itself fined. There is just no way, he could turn water into wine. It's not going to happen.

Gibbs should at least be NFC coach of the year. No team has ever prevailed under these circumstances. Can you name any team that has had their most talented player killed in the middle of the season? And next to that lose their starting QB and the right side of their offensive line.

I think Gibbs should win the award. Belicheck is going to be the obvious choice unless the NFL basically disqualifies him (which I think they should), but I am of the mentality that the award should go to the coach who has the single most important impact on their team.

When you think about the award from that criteria, there is simply no other coach who comes close to Gibbs this season. Even without Belicheck, New England would probably have wrapped up home field advantage and be just as hot as they are now. I credit their GM as much as Belicheck. Their team is ridiculously stacked at every position - and they've had almost 0 injuries all season. It wouldn't be hard for may coaches with that team to go winless or close to it.

Just thinking about what Gibbs has been through this season is incredible. Losing 6 starters to season-ending injuries, including a completely revamped line after only week 2. Losing countless other stars for weeks at a time. Having to rely on undrafted rookies and late-round castoffs like Lorenzo Alexander, Stephon Heyer, Anthony Montgomery and Reed Doughty. Players that probably wouldn't be playing for other teams if it wasn't for the skins. Then you have to endure the murder of your defensive star amidst a late-season 4 game losing skid. And you can't even stop to mourn. Gibbs had to coach the players up to fight and feel pride when the team was at its lowest point. Now we've been forced into a QB change in the last month of the season - and we're winning.

How Gibbs has responded has been simply inspiring and amazing. Any other coach with his half age and resume would have thrown in the towel and stepped away from an unrecoverable disaster of a season. But Gibbs never even thought about it. He found a way to inspire his players to fight on and coach up his reserves to fill the void they were thrust into. And we've plowed our way into the playoffs by winning - and winning strong.

There simply has not been another coach this season who has had to respond to a fraction of the injuries, heartbreaking close losses, and devastating death of the player their entire defense was built around like Gibbs. If we lost out, everyone would have understood. Except Gibbs.

And we didn't lose out. We're in the playoffs, headed West to continue the roller-coaster ride that has been the story of the 2007 Redskins. If you really aren't convinced that Gibbs is the most valuable coach. Ask yourself this question - If you were a player on this team, would you want anyone else in the world to be the captain of your ship? I don't think so.

Why should gibbs get it over Mcarthy in the NFC. Going into the year the bears were the runaway winner in that division to everyone. He went 13-3, Gibbs finished 3rd in his division. Cmon be for real here. As much as i hate bellicheat, gibbs is not coach of the year right now and it isnt close.

Archived