Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The basic philosophy of Joe Gibbs

Redskins4ever

Going back to the Campbell draft pick two years ago, and the way Brunell guided this team to the playoffs in 2005 and the way Todd Collins has been able to guide the Redskins into the playoffs in 2007, made me reflect on one of Gibbs's principles that he seemed to have gotten away from.

In Coach Gibbs's first stint, we won so many games with proven, veteran QBs beginning with Joe Theismann and continuing with Doug Williams and eventually Mark Rypien. The only young QB that started in Gibbs's offense up to Jason Campbell was a young Jay Schroeder, who was a 4th round pick, but who did well in 1985 and 1986 and Schroeder went on to become an All Pro.

When the Redskins selected Jason Campbell with the 25th overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft, it really surprised me because Gibbs had never drafted a QB that high. I understand Big Ben, Matt Leinart and Vince Young being young QBs and having to deal with the pressure of being a franchise QB because of their brilliant college careers, but doesn't it seem like Joe Gibbs kind of went along with today's NFL's grand scheme of things and unlike the Gibbs of old, went with the plan that other teams were doing in starting a young QB? Shouldn't Campbell, regardless of his 1st round draft standing, been polished and groomed into the starting role a little more like Aaron Rodgers is at this time?

Gibbs should have turned to Collins last year after Brunell struggled instead of Jason. Thoughts?

I agree with the JC pick. JC is the future of the Washington Redskins. He sat behind Brunell for a year and a half and last year in the 9th week was his first game. We would have most likely won more games if TC had been qb'ing since Brunell was pulled, but we also would have slowed JC's growth.

I am all for JC starting next year with another solid offseason with Saunders. JC just needs more live action to learn the system and trust his receivers. Do to the health of Santana Moss he wasn't able to practice, therefor developed no chemistry with Jason. ARE was limited in practice also and the OL wasn't blocking well for him. Portis also wasn't as healthy, therefor wasn't running well.

The team is healthy,practicing well and blocking well. TC also has 8 years experience in Saunders system. TC is now, JC is the future including 2008.

Obviously that's what is important now King, but it would certainly appear that the OP is concerned about next season.

And I as well. All of this will play itself out. It's not going to matter what you, me or anybody else on this board thinks, Joe Gibbs will make that decision at the end of our season and hopefully, that season ends in about another month.

I think most everyone here, including myself, would have started a riot if TC got the nod instead of JC. When JC came in, we were already done. We had invsted so much to get him, we needed to see him play.

giving JC the starting role last year was the right move

Should have, could have but did not. Schroeder only lasted a little over 2 years with the Skins. He was replaced by Doug Williams who went on to take us to the Super Bowl. Coincidence?

This is precisely my point. Start a youngster, let him take his lumps, and then let's see how he does. If he does great, then he does. If he struggles then that's apart of his development. However, given the fact that Collins is doing what Doug did 20 years ago to me is no coincidence.

I'm all for Jason becoming a great NFL franchise QB. But I think Gibbs gamble to draft him has paid dividends, but lost in the sauce is one of the things Coach Gibbs been best known for and the fact that Todd has stepped in and played the way he has proves my point.

This is precisely my point. Start a youngster, let him take his lumps, and then let's see how he does. If he does great, then he does. If he struggles then that's apart of his development. However, given the fact that Collins is doing what Doug did 20 years ago to me is no coincidence.

I'm all for Jason becoming a great NFL franchise QB. But I think Gibbs gamble to draft him has paid dividends, but lost in the sauce is one of the things Coach Gibbs been best known for and the fact that Todd has stepped in and played the way he has proves my point.

I think Jason is going to be a great NFL qb. Him, Big Ben, Garrard, and Cutler are definately the future stars at QB.

Shouldn't Campbell, regardless of his 1st round draft standing, been polished and groomed into the starting role a little more like Aaron Rodgers is at this time?

Gibbs should have turned to Collins last year after Brunell struggled instead of Jason. Thoughts?

So the majority complain because todays game has passed gibbs by and you want gibbs to act like it's 1985 again....

Gibbs was not dealing with Free Agency or a salary cap in his first tenure...you can afford to sit a future QB on the bench as long as you see fit.

Times have changed you can't operate like that anymore.

And Aaron Rodgers is not being "groomed ino the starting role" he was drafted as the heir apparent to Favre however Favre won't hang em up.

GB did not anticipate Favre would still be slingin them out there at this point or they wouldn't have wasted a first rounder on him, which is exactly what it was...a waste.

Archived