Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Gibbs Get Coach of the Year?

2006Skins

A month ago, half of redskins fans wanted him out. Nowhe could be up for coach of the year. I don't think there is one coach in the league that could have done what JG did this year. Lets go over the accomplishments, shall we?

Of course, death of the best player on the team. I have been saying that since last season. ST was the best player and a leader on the team. It was like having a boxer's right arm taken away from a fight.

5-7 to 9-7. We all know in today's NFL that players can give up on the team/coaches. This team has not. In fact, they seem to play for their coach and have the heart and character of their coach.

Making the playoffs with the 2nd toughest schedule in the league not to mention that they are in a division with 3 playoff representatives.

I know that Bellicheat will get it, and that there would be Packers fans that would scream that McCarthy should get it. And they would bring up valid points. I don't think they would be enough to overcome all the adversity this skins team has faced this year.

In January, coach of the year votes will be taken; so should/will Gibbs get it?

http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=coaches

For 13 weeks I think most people on here would think he was doing an average to below average job, to be honest. These last 4 weeks have been incredible, but I dont think thats enough to make up for the slow start. Most resilient coach, yeah. Best coach down the stretch, sure. But I think its kind of hard to justify Coach of the Year.

If we win the NFC, or even the Superbowl... then he certainly would deserve Coach of the Year.

YEah, I dont think they would. Thats why I said "deserve" and not "win."

We're on the same page :laugh:

But your point brings up, how do you go by coach of the year? Is it for the season week by week, or what the mean of the season becomes. If it's the latter, than Gibbs has a strong case for it.

If we went to the SB, I would say yes. I really don't think Bellichick will get it...he really isn't that liked, and it would be hard to imagine giving a guy Coach of the Year, when he got fined $500,000 for cheating and cost his team a 1st round draft pick.

I actually thought that Romeo Crennel was gonna get it....but, missing the playoffs may have hurt them.

Who knows? It may be Wade Phillips.

It should be noted that being the best team doesn't always get you the honor.

Gibbs got it in '81, when we finished at 8-8....because he overcame the adversity of starting out 0-5.

He didn't get it in '83 when we were 14-2 and super dominate...not in '87 when we won the Superbowl and he won all the scab games with no regular season starters...and not in '91, when we came close to going undefeated, won the SB, and were super dominate.

Jimmy Johnson didn't win it either of his Superbowl years, but won it in 1990 with a 7-9 record...so, you never know....I'm going with Rome Crennel

It should be noted that being the best team doesn't always get you the honor.

Gibbs got it in '81, when we finished at 8-8....because he overcame the adversity of starting out 0-5.

Thats interesting... I did not know that.

If thats how the voters think then Gibbs may indeed have a chance. I think its unlikely, but this team's resilience has been well documented. It wouldnt surprise me if the media found someway to reward the team for that.

I think that he should be a nominee, but I can understand why Belicheat or McCarthy would be given the nod.

However, I really think it will be close. Fans (not just Redskins' fan) understand the success we had under Gibbs this year after the death of our star safety. I hope this ride doesn't end.

Here's to making the SB! :cheers:

Coach of the Year: Joe Gibbs, Redskins

A homer pick? Perhaps. Once again, there were times when Gibbs looked lost and out of touch in his second coaching go-around, as when he handed the Bills an easy game-winning field goal with an illegal second straight timeout to ice the kicker. But Gibbs gets the nod here over the coach who won them all, Bill Belichick, and the coach whose team had the most surprising success, Mike McCarthy, because no one had to overcome more to get his club to the postseason than Gibbs, who somehow kept his entire organization together and crafted an astounding turnaround that began three days after the funeral of his best player and featured a backup quarterback who hadn't started in 10 years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/01/AR2008010101712.html

Archived