Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Titans decide Browns and their own fates Sunday

SkinsNumberOne

I wonder - does anyone remember a time where one team's game decided the fates of two teams regardless of what the other team did in their game?

The Titans play an in-conference (against Indy) game, boosting their conference record with a win. The Browns have played all of their in-conference games, and are coming off of a conference loss (Cincy). The Browns play the 9ers. Since they have the same record, it doesn't matter what the Browns do, all that matters is what the Titans do. If the Browns win, the Titans will have to win to get in (because they will need the conference tiebreaker), but if the Browns lose, the Titans still have to win, since by losing they would tie on the conference tiebreaker. Then it would move to the next tiebreakers -

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

(source: http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures)

I think Cleveland would win on #4 there.

I don't remember a situation exactly like this, where one team's actions decided both team's fates, as they have a tie going into Week 17.

Talk about a similar situation as ours.

Not sure if you were sarcastic, but the situation was pretty different actually.

The Browns could have won or lost, either way it wouldn't matter - their chances of making the playoffs would be relatively unchanged (except for the margin of victory tiebreaker).

The Vikings and Saints needed to win, as is 99% of the time the case. The guys who are behind usually need to at least win.

In this case, the playoff contenders (Browns and Titans) had the leader (Titans) playing a conference game. That's what made the difference here. All that mattered was the Titans game. Strange situation.

Archived