Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Smoot "I love being a Redskin..."

Baculus

I always remember a locker room interview this last season with Fred Smoot, where, at one point, the interview ended with Fred saying, "I love being a Redskin." You just cannot get this type of team "love" from just any player. The guy LOVES it here--not just like--and truly enjoys being a member of this team. This statement from Fred always stuck in my head, and now, with rumors of trade attempts involving Fred Smoot, it makes me feel a little sad.

I want to see Fred stay--he is a young developing player that we drafted, and he could be another set of bookend players, with Champ on the other side, on our team.

A pity, and either if the trade doesn't go through, I am sure this will shake Fred's confidence in the team.

HTTR!

~B.

I'll leave my trust in Spurrier to make decisions that are best for the Skins....if you could get enough value for Smoot it shouldn't be off the table. And as I said before, what such consideration does to Smoot's ego shouldn't be a part of the equation. Players constantly harp that the NFL is a business. Thats right. So sometimes tough decisions have to be considered and made for the greater good of an organization. I'm betting Smoot's smart enough to understand that and not take it personally if all this is true. I also agree with Art's assertion that a player either responds well to competitive pressure or they whine and fold. I'm not sure sending Smoot the message that he hasn't lied up to his potential yet, and his days as a Redskin are not guaranteed (not as a threat, but as a stark reality) is a bad thing. If Smoot stays, it might result in him turning the corner and proving he was the shutdown corner some felt he had the potential to be.

Im with Baculus1,

After a tough tough loss when everyone is all depressed and you start seeing some players question the team and why are they here and how they cant wait to get out of here. They always talk to Fred Smoot and what does he say usually something like "well all we gotta do is win the next 10 games and get some help and we are in the playoffs so its not too bad" or when we are out of the playoffs he says "well they all better watch out cause next year we are gonna make da playoffs." Hes always positive and i think all the guys in the locker room really like the guy.

I think he might be the only player on the team that thinks like us fans. As in he thinks before every season and he serously believes that there is no way we can not win the superbowl this season. He's good and a great guy. He brings intensity to the field. And perhaps most of all he learned very quickly that the dallas cowboys are the devils team.

He was born to be in burgendy and gold and he should stay here.

I'm feeling all warm and gooey inside.

Look, Smoot is a fiery trash-talking guy. I like that. I have nothing against the guy, but I think its beyond fair to say that the jury is still out on how good a corner he can be. I'm just saying that the coaching staff no doubt has a much better ability to assess his upside and attitude, and weight that against potential benefits of trading him. I do agree that unless we can get a true monster player (and not say our 2nd or 3rd choice WR) we shouldn't give up on Smoot. But how nice a guy is about #23 on the list of factors we should consider.

Smoot will definitely be better next year if we keep him. A trade............No Way.

Next year he wont have to worry about playing the other teams #1 reciever sometimes. He will always play the #2 reciever and shut him down.

In a good 3 or 4 years having Smoot and Bailey both still in Redskin's jersey's will be like having Darrell Green and Deion Sanders both in their prime. The other team will have under 100 yards passing every game.

I would hate to see Smoot go. He has afterall lead the team in ints. since he's been here.

"But that's because people aren't throwing to Champ"

Yeah, but he's lead the team in interceptions for the past 2 years. Nothing negates that.

"But look at all the touchdowns he's given up"

What player in his first 2 years, who has had 2 different defensive systems, hasn't got beat a few times? Oh, and he leads the team in interceptions.

If the Redskins are shopping Smoot, I'm pretty confused. I mean, who do they plan to replace him with? An '03 second round pick? Bauman? I hope not. And, we are going to have enough trouble signing a OG and a backup QB with our cap space. Now, I thought Smoot had a pretty crappy year, but he's young and as #2 corners go, I can live with him. And trading up to 4 doesn't get us Rogers (Johnson just feels like a draft bust waiting to happen), so I just don't get it.

You have to look at this thing economically as well. Smoot will be entering his third year this fall.... and next year he's going to want to get "his" when it's time for contract negotiation. Most teams can't afford to pay two CBs top money.

If we can get something for him now, especially when the F.O. is skeptical he truly is a top tier corner, then it's got to be explored. Maybe the brass are aware that he still parties alot, never misses his turn at the water bong, and continues to miss team workouts.

It's been noted on this board or CPND that he is rarely seen in the weight room in the offseason. That could be a problem.

Originally posted by Brown 43

You'd think Marvin in Cincy would like him, so we could trade up to #1?

No on that!

But my real question is, the articles stating Chi contacted us for a trade up inlcluding Smoot and our #13, but also had us receiving their #4 and possibly another player?

What is he second part of this proposed trade?

Archived