Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Huckabee thought that AIDS Research Received an Unfair Amount of Federal Money

#98QBKiller

He apparently thinks AIDS patients should be quarantined and he also had a role in giving a rapist parole in 1999 who went on to kill a mother of three. This is the other Willie Horton we were talking about.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7270.html

Huckabee called homosexuality 'sinful'

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, surging in Iowa polls in the Republican presidential race, wrote on a questionnaire while running for U.S. Senate in 1992 that homosexuality is "aberrant" and "sinful."

"I feel homosexuality is an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle, and we now know it can pose a dangerous public health risk," Huckabee wrote in the questionnaire for The Associated Press, which reported the answer on Saturday.

In another answer that could damage his standing in the presidential race, Huckabee wrote on the questionnaire that AIDS research was receiving an unfair amount of federal money. Instead, he said celebrities should pay for the research themselves.

"In light of the extraordinary funds already being given for AIDS research, it does not seem that additional federal spending can be justified," Huckabee wrote, according to the AP.

"An alternative would be to request that multimillionaire celebrities, such as Elizabeth Taylor, Madonna and others who are pushing for more AIDS funding be encouraged to give out of their own personal treasuries increased amounts for AIDS research."

The revelations could dampen the enthusiasm for the candidacy of Huckabee, a former Baptist minister, because the language clashes with his image as a compassionate, sunny leader.

It also could cause Republican voters to reevaluate whether he would be effective at winning swing voters in a general election that looks trying for the GOP.

Huckabee also wrote that he wanted to quarantine AIDS patients, according to the AP:

"If the federal government is truly serious about doing something with the AIDS virus, we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague.... It is difficult to understand the public policy towards AIDS. It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents."

Huckabee's written public statements came during his initial run for public office, which he lost to incumbent Democratic Sen. Dale Bumpers.

Huckabee is not renouncing the comments, but is seeking to explain them by pointing to the context of the times.

The former governor told reporters Saturday in Asheville, N.C., that there were “a lot of questions” about AIDS when he filled out the AP survey in 1992, according to Joy Lin of CBS News. Huckabee brought up a case in 1991 of a patient who had contracted AIDS from her dentist and said the nation was in “real panic."

“What I mentioned was that the only time in human history that we had not quarantined people who were carrier of a disease for which we didn’t know where it was going was this time,” said Huckabee.

“If I were making those same comments today, I might make them a little differently,” he added. “But obviously I have to stand by what I said. ... Medical protocol typically says that if you have a disease for which there is no cure and you are uncertain about the transmission of it, the first thing you do is quarantine or isolate the carriers.”

Still, the report is a second distraction at a time when Huckabee has tied or passed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney in polls in Iowa. A Newsweek poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers taken Wednesday and Thursday found Huckabee leading Romney by a 2-1 margin, 39 percent to 17 percent. Newsweek’s last poll, in late September, had Huckabee at 6 percent and Romney at 25 percent.

Even before the revelation about his incendiary 1992 views on AIDS policy, Huckabee was facing questions about whether he will be a durable candidate and is prepared for commander-in-chief responsibilities.

The scrutiny has been harsh, leading some Republicans to wonder if Huckabee peaked too soon.

This week in Iowa, he left reporters agape when he said he had not heard about an intelligence report on Iran that had been dominating newscasts and front pages for two days. He later blamed his staff.

Perhaps more damagingly, he has not warded off questions about his role in the 1999 parole of a rapist, supported by Arkansas pastors, who went on to kill a mother of three.

Huckabee said on NBC’s “Today” show on Thursday that he “didn’t put pressure” on the parole board. The former governor acknowledged to CBS’s “The Early Show” that he considered – but denied – a commutation, although the convict was eventually freed, anyway.

“It wasn't so much his innocence, but it was the sentence and the fact that while he was awaiting trial, someone broke into his home,” Huckabee said. “It was a horrible case from start to finish for everybody – for the victims, for him.”

Nevertheless, heavy television attention to the case – with its shades of the Willie Horton case that was so damaging to Michael Dukakis in his 1988 presidential race – has undercut Huckabee’s law-and-order credentials and raised questions about his candor and judgment.

In a quick check of Republican reaction after the AP story broke, some conservatives said they viewed Huckabee’s answers as a blunt statement of views held by many in his Southern Baptist flock, and an antidote to the waffling that pervades politics.

So it may turn out that his more damaging answer was not the one about his view of homosexuality but rather his foray into federal policy – quarantining AIDS patients and cutting funding for research.

This AIDS stuff is all based off of a 1992 questionnaire, right?

I'm not exactly a fan of Huckabee's but wasn't our understanding of AIDS much more limited in the 80's and early 90's, contributing to a much more negative social stigma of people with the disease?

We knew in 1992 that AIDs wasn't spread through casual contact, he said he wanted to QUARANTINE AIDs patients.

Someone should ask him if he still views it as a plague. It's not really a death sentence anymore, so I wouldn't be too shocked if his stance has changed :2cents:

Of course he has, the problem is this line of thinking. If he had lived during the 'separate but equal' era, he probably would have thought that was a good idea.

I will never vote for someone that espouses prejudices such as the view that homosexuality is sinful and wrong, sorry I simply dont care what you 'religious' folk think when it comes to this subject b/c I know in my heart, the truth of homosexuality.

Maybe one day we'll have a majority that understands, I hope so. God Bless.

I will never vote for someone that espouses prejudices such as the view that homosexuality is sinful and wrong, sorry I simply dont care what you 'religious' folk think when it comes to this subject b/c I know in my heart, the truth of homosexuality.

Maybe one day we'll have a majority that understands, I hope so. God Bless.

I don't really want to argue homosexuality, because I am against it. But I'm also against sex out side of marriage. In my opinion they are both just as bad against God.

So since we know where each other stands on the issue we would just go in circles... and thats just not fun! :D

But my question to you would be in response to "I know in my heart".

Has your "heart" ever been wrong? In the concept of it "feels right", but ended up "So... wrong"? I know mine has many times.

The truth is, AIDS is a self-inflicted disease to a huge amount of sufferers. I don't want my money to bail people out that contracted it due to homosexual sex or drug use.

Yes, but people who have no choice in the issue need help.

1. Babies, rape victims, or hetros who get it through various ways. (sex, blood, etc.

I don't really want to argue homosexuality, because I am against it. But I'm also against sex out side of marriage. In my opinion they are both just as bad against God.

So since we know where each other stands on the issue we would just go in circles... and thats just not fun! :D

But my question to you would be in response to "I know in my heart".

Has your "heart" ever been wrong? In the concept of it "feels right", but ended up "So... wrong"? I know mine has many times.

The mind is wrong many many times, the heart is never wrong. We are not talking about 'what simply feels right' but something deeper. If being heterosexual was looked down upon by much of society you may understand but alas yours is in the majority and so you have trouble 'understanding' the true nature of its purpose.

I submit to you now to all those reading this that look down on homosexuality for any reason, and yes I understand that there are many, to attempt to understand that perhaps there is a possibility that homosexuality even exists for the purpose of the human evolution of 'understanding'.

To understand that we are all different in many aspects (religion, race, orientation,etc.) and relations but carry the same core values (i.e. to respect and love one another as a community, to protect one another, etc.)

In my personal experience at such a young age some of the closest moments I have ever gotten to 'God' is when I have gone inward and understood that we all carry many of the same 'gifts' and that the things the separate us are indeed petty and not of importance to the unconditional loving God that is our Creator.

:2cents:

That was nicely written...but

I would go more along the lines that our heart lies to us all the time, and I'm sure that I could use a mulititude of examples to explain this... but i'm about to slam my head on a pillow. :D

I'll try to get about on this subject tomorrow... for I think its a good one! :silly:

honestly, i hope huckabee doesn't get the republican nomination simply because I am looking for an alternative to Billary/Obama, and I see Huckabee as very similar to the current regime...

I have spent close to 8 years listening to Bush talk to me about WWJD....I am ready for a change of the guard...the problem is I don't like Guiliani either....

it occurred to me the other day, if Hillary somehow wins the white house, 1 of 2 families will have held the Presidency or Vice Presidency in this country from the time I was 7 until the time I was 39 (at least) and possibly 43....that stinks way too much of dynastic behavior to me.....there are a host of reasons I won't vote for hillary (even though I am a moderate, and have voted democrat as much as republican) but that seems like a damn good reason to add to the list...

The mind is wrong many many times, the heart is never wrong. We are not talking about 'what simply feels right' but something deeper. If being heterosexual was looked down upon by much of society you may understand but alas yours is in the majority and so you have trouble 'understanding' the true nature of its purpose.

Well my heart says it's wrong, and the heart is never wrong according to you...

I'm trying to make a point. Can you tell? Your opinion is obviously biased towards your own situation as mine is. I'm amazed that you are using this logic without considering its obvious flaws.

Well my heart says it's wrong, and the heart is never wrong according to you...

I'm trying to make a point. Can you tell? Your opinion is obviously biased towards your own situation as mine is. I'm amazed that you are using this logic without considering its obvious flaws.

No, see I honestly think that people will 'think' that their heart is wrong when in truth it is the mind that is deceiving them. I honestly believe that the 'heart' is the closest we can each personally get to God, and that is why I don't believe that if you follow it that it will be 'wrong'.

The mind has been disillusioned in this world, whereas the heart has gone largely ignored.

Empathize and try to understand those most different from yourself and you'll understand how much you really have in common.

I think part of the importance of life is about understanding the core values (love, respect, family, etc.) that tie us all together and not the petty nuances that so many use to separate us (race, religion, orientation, etc.).

I just don't understand why so many people in this world can think that it is wrong to be gay when quite simply gay people do not choose to be gay any more than heterosexuals choose to be straight.

I am comforted by the growth in acceptance though.

Your entitled to your opinion, and I respect that even if the opinion casts judgement. I just find it ironic that so many homosexuals are ignored on this issue when THEY are the ones that are homosexuals. Its very funny to see so many heterosexuals acting as experts on something they have never experienced nor fully comprehend.

To each his own, this will probably be my last post in this thread just because I don't find it productive to debate something that 'I am' and thus need no approval from anyone else.

:2cents:

:cheers:

full article here

Here is a couple of excerpts from Mike Huckabee's response.

Here’s what he said…

On AIDS: “Fifteen years ago, the AIDS crisis was just that; it was a crisis, and we didn't know exactly all the details of how extensive it was going to be. There were a lot of questions back at that time as to just how the disease could be carried. You may remember the 1991 case of the person who had contracted AIDS from her dentist.

“There was just a real panic in this country, and what I mentioned was that the only time in human history that we had not quarantined people who are a carrier of a disease for which we didn't know where it was going was this time, and if I were making those same comments today I might make them a little differently. But obviously I have to stand by what I said and the fact is that it was unusual for us to do something unlike medical protocols. Medical protocols typically says that if have a disease for which there is no cure, and you are uncertain about the transmission of it that the first thing you do is you quarantine or isolate carriers, and that's historically how we've done that in the public health community.”

In the same article he speaks about homosexuality specifically. I don't think there is anything radical about what he says here either.

On homosexuality: “I think people have a right to live anyway they want to, but if asked specifically do I believe that it is a normal behavior, I've said all along that I don't, that I think that it is behavior that is outside the boundaries of the man-woman relationship that is traditional marriage.”

Asked if he thinks homosexuality is sinful, he said, “Well I believe it would be -- just like lying is sinful and stealing is sinful. There are a lot of things that are sinful. It doesn't mean that a person is a horrible person. It means that they engage in behavior that is outside the norms of those boundaries of our traditional view of what's right and what's wrong. So, I think that anybody who has, maybe a traditional worldview of sexuality would classify that as an unusual behavior that is not traditional and that would be outside those bounds.”

On the issue of funding for Aids, it turns out as Governor of Arkansas, he increased the funding for aids research and fighting aids and he actually used money out of the governors emergency fund to do it... hmm

here's his response to aids funding in the same article...

On federal funding for AIDS research and the disconnect between the surgeon general's recommendation and his comments: “Notice what I said in '92,” Huckabee said. “I didn't say that I wasn't for funding, but the question was, ‘Was I for additional funding,’ and I mentioned that there were a lot of diseases that we needed to fund, and that included diabetes and heart disease, and I would add to that Alzheimer's and a host of diseases that effect a lot of American families.

“To single out one disease as the only one that we're going to increase funding for to the exclusion of the others, I think was wrong then. I think it would be wrong now. Do I support additional funding for HIV/AIDS? Yes. I actually did it out of the Governor's Emergency Fund when I was a governor. So my record is one of taking personal initiative to make sure that we did do it, but on the other hand if we only touch that disease, and we leave a lot of people without any consideration who have cancer, who have heart disease, who have diabetes, who have Alzheimer's in their family, then I'm not sure how we can justify that. So that was the point I made then. It's consistent with the point that I continue to make now.”

In terms of the thread title only, I actually agree with the Husckter on the fact that too much federal money is spent on Aids research. Other diseases that are less about behavior like Cancer and Leukemia get so much less funding, I have always wondered why this is true after you look at the overall death rates.

What I am saying is in no way a homosexual bias, so please dont interpret it that way. I'm speaking strictly in the prioirtization of Federal funds.

I have no homosexual bias either, isn't strange that we feel like we have to qualify what we say by telling people that, though?

In terms of the thread title only, I actually agree with the Husckter on the fact that too much federal money is spent on Aids research. Other diseases that are less about behavior like Cancer and Leukemia get so much less funding, I have always wondered why this is true after you look at the overall death rates.

What I am saying is in no way a homosexual bias, so please dont interpret it that way. I'm speaking strictly in the prioirtization of Federal funds.

Archived