Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins not so bad? Some stats.

Tomel

Here's some interesting facts that might put the Skins 5 losses in better perspective.

The 5 games the Skins have lost are to teams with a combined record of 40 wins and 10 losses.

Of the 10 losses the Skins opponents have racked up, 6 are to the Pats, the Packers and the Cowboys, arguably the best teams in the league. Of trhe remaining 4 losses incurred by Skins opponents 2 are to the Bears, 1 is to the Giants and 1 is to the Skins.

The Eagles are clearly the weakest team to beat the Skins. Who have the Eagles lost to? They've lost to the Cowboys, Packers, Giants, Skins and Bears.

Said another way, the Skins have lost to teams that have, with the exceptions of the Packers loss to the Bears and the Eagles loss to the Bears and the Eagles loss to the Skins, have only been beaten by the top teams in the league.

Although none of us like losses, considering the records of those teams that have beat the Skins, maybe it's not quite as bad as it appears on the surface. And, frankly, except for our loss to the Patriots, we've been in every single game with a real opportunity to win right up to the final buzzer. If we can make it through the next couple of games and get a few of our key players healthy, we might be able to make the playoffs and provide some stiff competition.

A team that only loses to the best teams on their schedule is considered a loser - just as a team that beats the bad teams is considered a winner. You can only play the schedule that's given to you.

The Redskins are right in the middle.

Bottom line is we are 5-5.

We are beating the teams we are supposed to and losing to the good teams. Making us average. If you want to be a good team you have to BEAT a good team.

Well said. I think we're better than last year and I think we'll be better next year than we were this year, but it's just frustrating year after year

I definitely agree about the injury bug comment. With injuries comparable to the Pats and Boys, we'd likely be 9-1 instead of 5-5.

Some who have commented on my orginal post have stated we're just "average." Frankly, I disagree. Except for the Pats game, we've played it close against some of the elite teams -- depite our injuries. Like I stated, if we can squeak by the next couple of games and then get some of our starters back in the lineup and healthy, we have a shot to get into the playoffs and do some damage. Especially considering Campbell's progress. In my view the next couple of games are key.

At the very least, for the first time since Gibbs I, we haven't lost any games to the bottom-feeders yet, although a couple have been close.

Yes, but there's a the flipside. Look at the teams we've beaten.

Arizona 5-5

Detroit "6-4"

Philadelphia 5-5

New York 2-8

Miami 0-8

Their combined record is 18-30.

Which, simplified, is like ONE team whose record is 2-3 (and 40-10 is like ONE team who's 4-1)

Looking at it, we beat bad teams (mostly at home) and lose to good teams. Which makes us about average to me.

Looking at it, we beat bad teams (mostly at home) and lose to good teams. Which makes us about average to me.

The fact that we almost won a game that we had no business competing in gives me a lot of hope though. If we make the playoffs and are fairly healthy, I like our odds against anyone (freakishly good Pats aside).

BTW... Love your screen name - I was born in VA (raised in MD) and now stuck w/ a bunch of freakin' cowboy fans. At least you're in Austin - Texas' oasis.

Archived