Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flashback- North's Testimony During Iran-Contra

redman

On a PBS program the other day they were playing an 1987 old news video of Lt. Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree.

He was being drilled by a senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't. A couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued. Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of", Ollie answered.

And, just exactly who was this senator? Why, it was the distinguished Sentor from the great state of Tennessee, . . . Mr. Albert Gore.

this came out when 9-11 first happen. He didn't say Bin Laden back then. North was on one of the Cable News channels says that he noted another guy.

This is something you'd find on Urbanlegends.com

wow, that took 1 minute to find

Synopsis Colonel Oliver North branded Osama bin Laden as a deadly terrorist during his testimony before the Senate Select Committee investigating the Iran-Contra affair.

Recent versions of the email name then Senator Al Gore as questioning Oliver North.

See the email here.

Is it true? No.

Why? Colonel Oliver cited assassination threats by Abu Nidal, leader of the terrorist organization Fatah Revolutionary Council, as the reason he accepted the home security system from Richard Secord in his testimony before the Senate Select Committee in 1987.

The home security system cost $16,000, not $60,000 as the email claims.

As for Osama bin Laden, in the early 1980's he was busy founding Maktab al-Khidamat (MAK) with Palestianian Brotherhood founder Abdallah Azzam.

MAK recruited Arab volunteers to fight in Afghanistan and channel private and government aid to some Afghan Mujahideen factions. Osama bin Laden formed al-Qaida in 1988 after splitting off from MAK. Most terrorism experts date Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida's first forays into terrorism to a bombing in Aden, Yemen in 1992.

As for Al Gore questioning Oliver North during his testimony before the Senate Select Committee, he was not a member of the committee and so did not have the opportunity to question Oliver North.

When? October 21, 2001

Comments Oliver North was convicted in 1989 of accepting an illegal gratuity for the $16,000 home security system given to him by Richard Secord. In his trial testimony, North admitted forging letters showing he paid for the security system.

North's conviction was overturned due to legal conflicts with with his testimony before the Iran-Contra Senate Select Committee.

This came out after 9-11 and it turned out to be false. The terrorist in question was NOT bin Laden but someone else. Osama's name was inserted AFTER 9-11.

If I'm not mistaken, in 1987 Osama bin Laden was getting US support in the fight against the Soviets. It was not until our forces came to Saudi Arabia (and stayed) in the early 90s that he focused his wrath on the US.

Like every good lie, it contains a degree of truth and/or an emotional string to pull at you. Here, it was the emotional string of a conservative anti-hero, Ollie North, apparently getting the last laugh over a favorite conservative dupe, Gore.

My only level of suspicion centered around the timing of the statement: 1987. That was because my understanding of UBL's hatred of America really grew out of the Gulf War and our continuing presence even after the Gulf War on the sacred Arabia Peninsula. Obvoiusly, all of that post-dates 1987.

Also, as of 1987, we were still supporting bin Laden and other mujahedeen in Afghanistan against the Soviets, so they had not yet turned against us, or at least focused their efforts against us.

I should have trusted my instincts . . .:shootinth

Yeah, this was about Abu Nidal, the 80's version of OSB. He was good for hijackings of aircraft and cruise ships, where he and his pu$$y followers shot Leon Klinghoffer, and parapaligic, and tossed him overboard. That took real balls. What a man. He recently met his demise in Iraq of all places, becasue he started to act like he might like it if the Isrealis snatched him out so he could rat out other a$$wipes, including uncle saddam. one less a$$hole to track down and snuff.

Its ironic that the original version was subsequently altered in apparently a deliberate attempt to smear Al Gore, when UBL's best American friends by far were Ronald Reagan and GBush I.

No sh!t Sherlock. I supposed you've never had a friend you've had a falling out with, huh? Not that he was much of a freind, but during the 80's OSB was fighting the Soviet commies for us in Afganistan. You remember the Soviets commies don't you? The ones with all the nuclear missles pointed at us? The ones that rolled into a few different countries like Afganistan and Chechoslvakia(sp) to take them over and stay?

Hmmm.

Why is it that a completely baseless outright lie deliberately smearing an American citizen evokes little response whatsoever.

But a relatively mild observation on the ironies of history immediately makes your head explode?

You may admire Ronald Reagan. You may admire Al Gore. Many people, myself included, admire them both, although there certainly times I disagree with policies advocated by either man.

Ronald Reagan's administration was fundamentally, disastrously wrong in the time and manner with which he supplied arms to the Iranians. Were those actions commited by a Democrat there would certainly have been cries of treason.

In the time and place where he provided support to Bin Laden and others like him, it was an entirely appropriate and successful action. Nobody should fault Reagan for that policy.

But nobody should circulate lies about Al Gore either. I've gotten several versions of that email in the last year. I find it amusing that many who gleefully circulate that transparent nonsense have heros who are more vulnerable to criticism regarding Bin Laden than Gore, who had nothing to do with him.

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

Ronald Reagan's administration was fundamentally, disastrously wrong in the time and manner with which he supplied arms to the Iranians. Were those actions commited by a Democrat there would certainly have been cries of treason.

I totally agree.... In your opinion, why is that?

Archived