Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

*UPDATE*Great Read On David Patten

RammsteinSkins

One of Brady's favorite targets revives the Saints instead

Tom Brady called former teammate and free agent David Patten this offseason to say he wanted Patten to return to the New England Patriots.

Given the way the Patriots stocked up on receiving talent this past summer, Brady's call might seem like an odd audible. But even though Patten had only 23 catches in the two previous seasons with the Washington Redskins, Brady still valued the veteran.

"For Tom to want me back after all I had been through in Washington was truly a great honor," said Patten, who collected three rings and a Super Bowl touchdown pass in a four-year run with Brady. "Tom said to me, 'When I received my first opportunity, it was you who was on the other end of my passes. I know you. I trust you.'"

David Patten

1393.jpg Wide Receiver

New Orleans Saints

Brady's confidence in Patten's abilities was well-founded. But this season, the Patriots aren't the beneficiaries of Patten's skills.

During the New Orleans Saints' four-game winning streak, Patten has grabbed 19 passes for 332 yards. The 11-year veteran has revived not only his career but the Saints, who began the season 0-4.

Patten, 33, credits his Christian faith for overcoming immense odds several times on his NFL journey. Between ending his playing career at Western Carolina and trying to impress at an NFL free-agent tryout, Patten loaded 75-pound coffee bean bags for 12 hours a day to make a buck. Yet within a few years Patten had become a triple threat rivaling Walter Payton (for one game, at least), scored a touchdown in a Super Bowl and merited a $13 million free-agent contract with the Redskins.

That said, the 5-foot-10, 190-pound slot receiver is only two years removed from a knee injury that nearly ended his playing career.

dropQuote.gifHe is almost like an extended coach. After our 0-4 start, he told the team that the Patriots started 1-3 in 2001 and won the Super Bowl. It was just what we needed. dropQuoteEnd.gif

--Saints WRs coach Curtis Johnson on David Patten

But just when you think Patten is down and out, he emerges. Ask the Seattle Seahawks, On Oct. 14, he burned them for eight catches and 113 yards in leading the Saints to their first victory of the season.

He entered that game with just five catches.

"We have a problem trying to get David to slow down," Saints wide receivers coach Curtis Johnson said. "He is always trying to do something. He sets a great example for our young receivers. He is almost like an extended coach. After our 0-4 start, he told the team that the Patriots started 1-3 in 2001 and won the Super Bowl. It was just what we needed."

As optimistic as he is, Patten has had his faith tested several times in his five-team NFL career that began in 1997.

An undrafted free agent from Western Carolina who did not receive a workout from an NFL team after college, Patten spent six months loading coffee bags onto trucks. It was at this moment, Patten claims, that he rededicated himself to his Christian faith.

Soon, Patten impressed the New York Giants after running a 4.27 in the 40-yard dash at a University of South Carolina NFL workout in March 1997. Former Giants GM Ernie Accorsi called Patten a couple of days later and gave him a chance to try out for the team. The Giants eventually signed Patten to a one-year contract.

Still uncertain about his Giants' tenure, Patten slept on his cousin's couch during his rookie season.

nfl_g_patten_brady_200.jpg

In four seasons as New England Patriots' teammates, Tom Brady (left) and David Patten were a dangerous combination. This season, Brady wanted a reunion, Patten said.

Patten was a good special teams player in his three seasons with the Giants. After a year in Cleveland, Patten signed with the Patriots in 2001.

He made his mark. Patten beat out wide receivers Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, and Bert Emanuel to earn a starting spot. He caught caught 51 passes for 749 yards that season.

Suddenly the former coffee bag loader was a showcase performer. On Oct. 21, 2001 against the Colts, Patten became the first player since Payton in 1979 to run, catch and pass for touchdowns in the same game. The Patriots, behind new starting quarterback Brady, routed the Colts 38-17.

Four months later, Brady and Patten connected on an eight-yard touchdown pass in Super Bowl XXXVI. The Patriots beat the St. Louis Rams 20-17.

"My first five years in the league, I never felt like I was a guarantee to make the team," Patten said. "I always felt that I needed to prove myself all over again, but that is what drives me. I never go into an offseason thinking I have it made."

After four productive seasons with Brady in New England, Patten signed a $13 million free-agent pact with the Redskins. Patten was supposed to team with fellow 2005 Redskins' free-agent signing Santana Moss to give Washington a 1-2 receiving threat.

But Patten caught only 22 passes that season before he was placed on injured reserve to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. In the offseason, the Redskins signed Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd to multi-million dollar contracts. By 2006, Patten knew the Redskins had given up on him. He played in five games and had only one reception last season.

"Oh, man--words cannot describe it,"Patten said referring to his experience in Washington. "I was told after they signed Randle El and Lloyd that I would be given a chance to compete for my starting spot, but that never came to fruition. The coaches did not have a lot of patience with my injury."

His wife, Gailena, told him it might be time to retire. Patten thought about it, but his faith kept him on the path towards recovery.

In April, Patten signed with the Saints. New Orleans' seems to be the right spot for him, even if it's unsettling in some ways.

Patten donates a percentage of his paycheck to his local church in Columbia, S.C.. and checks with his pastor before signing a contract. Patten doesn't hang out in local bars or clubs after practice. He spends time at home with his wife and three children. Patten was even hesitant to have dinner with his agent on Bourbon Street after the Saints defeated the Jags last Sunday.

"He doesn't like to be around that stuff," agent Mark Lepselter said regarding Patten's view of nightlife. "It makes him uncomfortable.

"He is the most legitimate and real person that I have ever met. He is not somebody who says one thing and does another. "

On the field, Patten is finding his place again.

For the first time in his career, he's a slot receiver. Patten is excited about the opportunity, as he will receive a lot of single coverage as defenses focus on the likes of fellow receiver Marques Colston and halfback Reggie Bush.

The slot receiver can open up the long passing game, keeping defenses honest. For an older receiver, Patten is still quick and has the potential to make big plays. He sets up his routes well and is good as studying defenders. He is working on understanding the intricacies of the Saints offense and trying to get better at protecting the football.

He has one fumble this season. Patten, though, has never been afraid to try new things, as he remembers what one of his coaches told him.

"He said be the one guy that teams can't live without," Patten said.

For 11 years, Patten has done just that.

sorry ill get right on it......copy and pasting from espn.com sucks
Just takes a little getting used to! Always hit preview post before submitting on a copy!

I watched Patten play with the Arena Leagues Albany Firebirds in 1996. He actullay wasn't bad as a DB along with WR.

if I remember correctly, we put patton on IR midway through the season against his wishes... he thought he could play... I'll never get how so many receivers can absolutely disappear in our system... it's like we are running a witness protection program for WR's in the NFL...

Archived