Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 Help the Homeless Walkathon - 1st annual ES group

SkinsNatsFan

Help the Homeless Walkathon

Everyone is welcome! It costs you nothing! Fannie Mae donates $50 if you turn in your form.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Metro opens at 6:00 a.m.

Registration opens at 7:00 a.m.

Pre-walk activities begin at 8:30 a.m.

Walkathon begins at 9:00 a.m.

http://www.helpthehomelessdc.org/site/c.plI4IcNWJyE/b.2699647/k.1CD/Welcome_to_the_Washington_DCbrHelp_the_Homeless_Program_Web_site.htm

Each year there's a walkathon on the National Mall in DC to raise money to help the homeless. As an employee of Fannie Mae, they will donate $100 if I show up and walk, and $50 for each guest of an employee that shows up and walks.

If possible I'd like to get a group of ESers to walk this year. It's an easy walk and an easy way to raise money to help the homeless. There is nothing for you to pay if you go as a guest of an employee. Of course you can always donate also.

I'm attaching a map of the route and a map of the registration area.

If you're interested in going, please PM me. I'll pre-register you and send you the guest registration form. Just fill one out for each person that's coming and hand them in that morning at the pre-registered check-in booth.

Go Skins! :point2sky

Update -

We'll meet by the pre-registered booth shown on the map above by 8:30 to 8:45 to turn in our forms to make sure that we each count as a $50 donation from Fannie Mae, and get our free t-shirts. The earlier you can get to the booth, the less crowded it will be. The lines get long as the time gets closer to the start. I'll be there before 8:30 if you come earlier. I'll have the forms with me. They're a simple name and signature form so that won't take long.

It looks like it'll be a chilly morning, so bring your winter Redskins gear.

We should be able to complete the walk and be back in plenty of time to get to Redskins Park to send the team off to stomp all over brokeback mountain.

Also don't forget Sweet Sassy Molassey's event Saturday night.

Pre-registered walkers

SkinsNatsFan and family

thelongestbreath

Pez

Unconfirmed

Huly and Gibbs

skinsfan87

SmootPointReally

Om and family

docsandy

EnterApotheosis

I did it last year. It was an awesome experience. I am very grateful I did it. I can't think of a better way of visiting the mall.

I took pictures for my sociology class project. Here are a few of the ones I still have.

Brian1178.jpg

Brian1193.jpg

Brian1204.jpg

As wonderful as this event was though, once it was over it seemed like everyone just forgot about why they were there and went on about their business leaving the cleanup duties to a few.

I took a picture of this sign in the trash can because I felt it was a great symbol for the day.

I'd deffinately be intrested in doing this, let me know if you need my information for the form to fill out SNF. Also I just heard dogs are allowed to walk, if I remember correctly the Metro doesn't allow dogs to ride in the cars though correct?

Thats right! I did not even think of that. Ok now I have to figure this one out as I promised I would bring Gibbs to the send off.

I'd deffinately be intrested in doing this, let me know if you need my information for the form to fill out SNF.

Great! I sent you a PM, but I figured I'd post the gist here for anyone else who can make it.

I just need names of the people who will be attending, and whether or not they're over 18, and I can pre-register them.

I thought I could attach the form to a PM but I guess not. Maybe I'll just bring a handfull of them and a pen. You'll just need to fill in your name, whether or not your 18 or over, and you or your guardian's signature . Then you just turn it in at the pre-registration booth that morning and get your free t-shirt.

If they really want a good turnout just move the walk-a-thon to Fedex and register all of those poor souls that have to walk from the cash lots to the stadium.

Good to see people still care. Some homeless people get a bad rap. Everybody is always quick to say "get a job you bum" w/out knowing what made them homeless to begin with. A lot of those people have no family, friends or anyone else to turn to. Yes, there are some bad apples, but some legitamitely need help.

I did it last year. It was an awesome experience. I am very grateful I did it. I can't think of a better way of visiting the mall.

I took pictures for my sociology class project. Here are a few of the ones I still have.

Nice pics by the way, thanks! Too bad you're not here for this one.

I would be all for this...

Cool. Let me know.

I would if it weren't the 17th. Unfortunately, I have business to take care of and an event to prepare for on Saturday.

I hope your hard work pays off for you guys!

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220950

BTW, how many miles is that?

It's 3 miles. But you can stop any time you want. Turning in the signed form before you start is what is necessary to have the money donated.

Nice pics by the way, thanks! Too bad you're not here for this one.

I really wish I could be there. Unfortunately I am stuck in Tallahassee. Once I return to the DC area for good, you can count on me every year if you are making this a regular thing.

I really wish I could be there. Unfortunately I am stuck in Tallahassee. Once I return to the DC area for good, you can count on me every year if you are making this a regular thing.

Sounds great! We've been going as a family for the last four years. This is the first I've tried to get an ES group together. I plan to do it every year, so we'll be looking forward to seeing you in the future.

And for anyone interested, there's also a stage on the mall with some entertainment each year. Here's the description for this year :

"Darius Rucker of the band Hootie & the Blowfish will be performing live. The popular musician is joining singer-songwriter Michael McDonald (from the Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan), who is this year's Help the Homeless Walkathon National Honorary Chair, and BeBe Winans, who is a celebrated inspirational singer and songwriter."

Pretty nice, brother. :)

Trying to work it out where I can bring some or all of the family to participate in this one. Will be in touch ...

I finally got internet access back! Now to make sure I stay out of the Stadium forum...

Sounds good! I think we'll try to meet up around the pre-registered check-in booth before 9.

Archived