Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Santana Moss: Maybe Not So Much His Fault

dcoles11

I've been hard on Moss this year, I think he pretty much by himself lost that game vs Green Bay.

But I think he is understandably frustrated with how little he is utilized in the offense now.

Whether its because Jason Campbell isn't seeing him or the offense is just so basic now that its hard to get the ball to Moss, he just isn't a factor anymore.

Also, at least 2 times this season that I can remember, a play action pass has been called that was designed to go to him and he did his part to get open but Campbell missed him.

It happened in the game vs the Eagles at the end of the game and then today in overtime.

It has to be frustrating to get open for a TD and get missed again and again.

I'm not calling for Brunell to be the QB but when he was the QB the offense seemed to be set up to get Moss the ball. He ran slants, WR screens, deep balls, he was passing attack in 05.

I think like a lot of people probably did, that when Campbell became the QB it meant we were going to stretch the field and really take advantage of Moss, but that just has not happened.

We have a QB with a huge arm but we are still a dink and dunk offense.

So to conclude I think either the retraints the coahing staff is putting on Campbell or Campell's ability or lack there of to get Moss the ball is the real reason he has fallen so far from grace.

JC does seem to miss Moss a lot. Even when he does hit him, Moss ends up having to leap up or dive to get it... nothing that lets Moss do the YAC thing he's good at.

JC needs to get better here.

you make a good point, when Brunell was the QB the scheme seemed to be to get Moss the ball quickly almost like a running play and let him make something happen.

now Campbell is hitting him further down field but he's not setting him up for any YAC.

If Campell would quick missing him on those play action bombs it would do wonders for this offense. It would loosen up the run defense and of course we'd score more points.

I have a few theories...

a. Santana Moss disappears in double coverage, which leads a young qb to check down right away...especially one with so little time in the pocket.

b. It almost seems that JC misjudges santana's speed from game to game (overthrowing, underthrowing) I'm sure it has to be hard to get a good feel for a receivers speed if he is hobbled from time to time from injuries (groin, hamstring, ankle)

c. Campbell has lost some confidence in Moss from his recent spout of the dropsies this season.

d. Finally, a good wr and a good qb will get their strides together in time, and will keep improving

m'eh....that's what i'm sipping on

Not only has Campbell missed Moss a couple times this season, he has missed a LOT on long bombs this season. Even that pass to Thrash was underthrown; Thrash was behind the defender, if the ball was thrown more in front, it would have been a TD; instead Thrash had to stop and reach back for the ball. It's kind of surprising since we all thought the long ball was his strength.

in order for you to become good at something you have to practice it :)

the Redskins don't allow Campbell to develop any on-field synergy with the receivers.

the team throws deep once or twice a game and off that we are expected to begin to mount an aerial circus? :laugh:

the fact is Moss was unreliable the first few games of the season and Gibbs has drawn back and now refuses to take any chances to move the ball through the air.

Umm yeah forget about Brunell. Everyone seems to forget how horribly he would underthrow the ball, or throw it over the wrong shoulder, and we all thought it was gonna be picked off, but Moss put forth the effort to steal it from the defender.

Campbell needs more deep ball plays called. When you only throw 3-4 passes a game that are designed to go more then 10 yards, then it is going to take longer to develop a rythym.

moss has dropped a lot of balls this year and they were perfect passes. I think its chemistry. Moss says he has a huge arm but that long bomb santana looked like he lost a step.

What are you talking about? Moss went inside, Campbell threw it to the outside.

Archived