Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pats illegal man down field?

BDawkinsSucks

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803b1d6f

Did anyone else see this play (02:32 in the above video) and scream, illegal man down field?

The center as well as another lineman are running down field to block before the ball is thrown, resulting in 22 yds from a screen pass.

Obviously this is by design. How come this isn't a penalty?? If it's not a penalty, how come we don't run this play?

Did anyone else see this play (02:32 in the above video) and scream, illegal man down field?

The center as well as another lineman are running down field to block before the ball is thrown, resulting in 22 yds from a screen pass.

Obviously this is by design. How come this isn't a penalty?? If it's not a penalty, how come we don't run this play?

Something else I noticed which I do question the legality of is when the Pats throw screen passes, it looks like they are having blockers set blocks before the ball-carrier even has the ball in his hands. Shouldn't this be holding because you can just stop a guy from pursuing up the field, especially if the RB/TE/WR doesn't even have the ball yet.

Something else I noticed which I do question the legality of is when the Pats throw screen passes, it looks like they are having blockers set blocks before the ball-carrier even has the ball in his hands. Shouldn't this be holding because you can just stop a guy from pursuing up the field, especially if the RB/TE/WR doesn't even have the ball yet.

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if they designed an illegal play and ran it a couple of times. It doesn't matter if they even scored a touchdown on that play. Just like the end of the game when people screamed to have Randel El's reception reviewed. What did it matter? We were down 52 to 7 with 30 or so seconds left on the clock...

We didn't stand a chance against them and that's our fault. We played like how we always do and that strategy only beats mediocore teams at best. It doesn't seem like we'll open up our offense under Gibbs and it doesn't seem like we'll blitz with our personel. Don't worry about the minor things our opponents do. I mean, if you really wanted to get into the dirty play of football, ask about how people punch each other in the nuts when there's a fumble scrum.

It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if they designed an illegal play and ran it a couple of times. It doesn't matter if they even scored a touchdown on that play. Just like the end of the game when people screamed to have Randel El's reception reviewed. What did it matter? We were down 52 to 7 with 30 or so seconds left on the clock...

We didn't stand a chance against them and that's our fault. We played like how we always do and that strategy only beats mediocore teams at best. It doesn't seem like we'll open up our offense under Gibbs and it doesn't seem like we'll blitz with our personel. Don't worry about the minor things our opponents do. I mean, if you really wanted to get into the dirty play of football, ask about how people punch each other in the nuts when there's a fumble scrum.

The rule actually states that if a pass is caught behind the line of scrimmage, a lineman can be downfiled up to 5 yards past the line of scrimmage at the time of the catch without it being a penalty.

The rule actually states that if a pass is caught behind the line of scrimmage, a lineman can be downfiled up to 5 yards past the line of scrimmage at the time of the catch without it being a penalty.

Keep using that excuse, but if this team that seems to get caught cheating a lot more than your average NFL team, wouldn't it just be a bit suspicious that they got away with so much?

Keep using that excuse, but if this team that seems to get caught cheating a lot more than your average NFL team, wouldn't it just be a bit suspicious that they got away with so much?

Difference between our screen plays and pats is that Brady throws to his back when he is running at full speed, a tremendous advantage against a D. Our screen plays are slow and our backs never seem in position to catch the ball and run immediately. I don't know how many times I see portis out of position on a screen and when he tries to make a quick move, he slips and falls or never catches the pass to begin with.

We seriously can learn from NE on how to play design. Bellicheck is awesome at it.

Difference between our screen plays and pats is that Brady throws to his back when he is running at full speed, a tremendous advantage against a D. Our screen plays are slow and our backs never seem in position to catch the ball and run immediately. I don't know how many times I see portis out of position on a screen and when he tries to make a quick move, he slips and falls or never catches the pass to begin with.

We seriously can learn from NE on how to play design. Bellicheck is awesome at it.

Archived