Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

20-3

#98QBKiller

The games lost to the Giants and Packers hurt worse. Not only because both are in the NFC and one is a division rival, but both were games that should have been won.

You couple those games with the injuries piling up and it looks like a rough road ahead. That two game cushion would have been nice but instead of being 6-1, it's 4-3.

Even though the Patriots game was embarrassing as hell... it's not as important as the losses to the Giants and Packers.

With the injuries, I just hope this team can find a way to sneak in to the playoffs. Hell, with the way the offense is playing it's no guarantee that we'll beat the Jets. Something needs to start clicking on that side of the ball.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get easier for us after the Jets.

True, but that says more about the Jets than it does about us.

It's hard to get easier than 1-7. But of our final nine games, only three are against teams that currently have a winning record: Dallas twice and the Giants.

For the sake of comparison, four of our last six games have been against teams with winning records.

Unfortunately, it doesn't get easier for us after the Jets.

True, but that says more about the Jets than it does about us.

It's hard to get easier than 1-7. But of our final nine games, only three are against teams that currently have a winning record: Dallas twice and the Giants.

For the sake of comparison, four of our last six games have been against teams with winning records.

The games lost to the Giants and Packers hurt worse. Not only because both are in the NFC and one is a division rival, but both were games that should have been won.

You couple those games with the injuries piling up and it looks like a rough road ahead. That two game cushion would have been nice but instead of being 6-1, it's 4-3.

That's true. The Giants game in particular hurts. You gotta win those home division games. At least we won the Philly game.

But yeah, now we have to figure out a way to beat the Giants in NY. And that's a tall order.

That's true. The Giants game in particular hurts. You gotta win those home division games. At least we won the Philly game.

But yeah, now we have to figure out a way to beat the Giants in NY. And that's a tall order.

I'm working on a Gregg Williams theory. I think Gregg can gameplan well against the one-dimensional teams, but we will struggle against balanced offenses that will take what we give them as New England did.

Mike Martz didn't take what we gave them until too late, Green Bay didn't even try to run the football until the Denver game. Minnesota and Buffalo don't have NFL grade passing games. But, we don't match up well against the teams in our own division.

I see the defense regressing in the second half. If we're going to make a playoff run, we need more help from the offense. Despite the O line probelms, we need to put together a consistent passing game right now.

The Jets aren't pushovers. They are better than Miami and improving with young talent.

I'm working on a Gregg Williams theory. I think Gregg can gameplan well against the one-dimensional teams, but we will struggle against balanced offenses that will take what we give them as New England did.

Mike Martz didn't take what we gave them until too late, Green Bay didn't even try to run the football until the Denver game. Minnesota and Buffalo don't have NFL grade passing games. But, we don't match up well against the teams in our own division.

I see the defense regressing in the second half. If we're going to make a playoff run, we need more help from the offense. Despite the O line probelms, we need to put together a consistent passing game right now.

The Jets aren't pushovers. They are better than Miami and improving with young talent.

I don't disagree. I just think a lot of people are basing our chances on the fact that we've struggled without noting our a relatively difficult schedule. Maybe our weaker schedule going forward should be factored in. I am by no means guaranteeing that we will fare better against it.

I absolutely agree that the offense needs to perform better. My hope is that facing teams of a generally lesser calibre than the Packers and Patriots will afford us the chance to do so.

I don't disagree. I just think a lot of people are basing our chances on the fact that we've struggled without noting our a relatively difficult schedule. Maybe our weaker schedule going forward should be factored in. I am by no means guaranteeing that we will fare better against it.

I absolutely agree that the offense needs to perform better. My hope is that facing teams of a generally lesser calibre than the Packers and Patriots will afford us the chance to do so.

Want reason for optimism?

We should have beaten 2 of those 3 teams that are part of that 20-3 record.

But I never lose hope. Jets are in for it big time.

How is losing 2 games that we should have won a reason to be optimistic? It's a major problem that this team keeps the other team in games to the point where it's cost us two losses. It could have been worse, we tried to hand the Dolphins and the Cardinals those games as well in the same fashion that we lost to the Packers and Giants. To me, that's cause for concern, not a reason to be optimistic.

Want reason for optimism?

We should have beaten 2 of those 3 teams that are part of that 20-3 record.

But I never lose hope. Jets are in for it big time.

How is losing 2 games that we should have won a reason to be optimistic? It's a major problem that this team keeps the other team in games to the point where it's cost us two losses. It could have been worse, we tried to hand the Dolphins and the Cardinals those games as well in the same fashion that we lost to the Packers and Giants. To me, that's cause for concern, not a reason to be optimistic.

And to keep looking at it that way, except for the Patriots, we were in a position to win both of our losses against those good teams. Granted, we've had some ugly wins against some bad teams, but if we can find a way to play 4 quarters against those good teams instead of 3, we're in good shape for the rest of the season.

The only problem is, we're not stopping teams in the second half of games from being able to drive the ball up and down the field at will.... a task that becomes that much harder now that we've kissed Carlos goodbye for the rest of the year. I do like the way our schedule rounds out for the rest of the year. (Please God let us at least split with Dallas...)

And to keep looking at it that way, except for the Patriots, we were in a position to win both of our losses against those good teams. Granted, we've had some ugly wins against some bad teams, but if we can find a way to play 4 quarters against those good teams instead of 3, we're in good shape for the rest of the season.

The only problem is, we're not stopping teams in the second half of games from being able to drive the ball up and down the field at will.... a task that becomes that much harder now that we've kissed Carlos goodbye for the rest of the year. I do like the way our schedule rounds out for the rest of the year. (Please God let us at least split with Dallas...)

You misread my thread.

I wasnt using the losses as a reason for optimism. I was using them to question it at this point.

That why I said what I did in the last line about never losing hope.

Basically, we agree, I just worded it differently.

You misread my thread.

I wasnt using the losses as a reason for optimism. I was using them to question it at this point.

That why I said what I did in the last line about never losing hope.

Basically, we agree, I just worded it differently.

I have three positive points to report:

1) And as Clinton pointed out on SportsTalk 980 yesterday, The Lions at 5-2 have won every game so far this season except the two they played against in the NFC East. The implication being they're pretty good, but we're better.

2) As I mentioned in a thread yesterday, Gibbs II's teams have always finished their last nine games stronger than they had played their first 7 games. This was a sidebar in the Wash Post yesterday.

3) According to Sagarin's system, the Redskins have had the 6th most difficult schedule in the NFL, so far.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl07.htm

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I think the Jets are dog meat come Sunday.

I have three positive points to report:

1) And as Clinton pointed out on SportsTalk 980 yesterday, The Lions at 5-2 have won every game so far this season except the two they played against in the NFC East. The implication being they're pretty good, but we're better.

2) As I mentioned in a thread yesterday, Gibbs II's teams have always finished their last nine games stronger than they had played their first 7 games. This was a sidebar in the Wash Post yesterday.

3) According to Sagarin's system, the Redskins have had the 6th most difficult schedule in the NFL, so far.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl07.htm

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but I think the Jets are dog meat come Sunday.

Realistically, I have us winning 5 out of our next 9 games, maybe even 6 or 7 if we tighten up but even if we just win 5 more, we're 9-7 and would likely sneak into a wildcard spot. A HUGE improvement over last season and something to build on next year.

I agree completely. The only teams left on our schedule that can beat us if we are playing at our best are the Cowboys (twice) and the Giants. Thats not to say that we cannot beat them, but I'm just saying that they have the players to do it. So your prediction is very realistic. However, if we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot, and if the football gods continue to smite us with season-ending injuries, we're not going anywhere.

Realistically, I have us winning 5 out of our next 9 games, maybe even 6 or 7 if we tighten up but even if we just win 5 more, we're 9-7 and would likely sneak into a wildcard spot. A HUGE improvement over last season and something to build on next year.

I agree completely. The only teams left on our schedule that can beat us if we are playing at our best are the Cowboys (twice) and the Giants. Thats not to say that we cannot beat them, but I'm just saying that they have the players to do it. So your prediction is very realistic. However, if we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot, and if the football gods continue to smite us with season-ending injuries, we're not going anywhere.

Archived