Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do You Remember Why?

SkinFan63

Do you remember why?

Do you remember why you’re a Redskins fan? Was it the burgundy and gold colors that transfixed you? Was it the way they were playing on a certain day in a certain game? Was it any of these? After last Sunday’s horrific embarrassment in New England, some of us may be questioning our time-tested loyalty?

Or at least trying to look back in our hazy minds to remember just what it was that made us (you) a hard-core fan of the burgundy and gold. I’ll tell you mine.

My father was a Colts fan. Yes there was a Colts team from Baltimore before there was a Peyton and my dad loved them. When I was 6 years old, he bought me the “vibrating electric football game” featuring the colts and the jets. Does anyone remember those? You bent the little fins under the player’s feet and gave that player the little felt/foam ball and flipped the “ON” switch. They would vibrate all over the steel field (not really where you wanted them to go) but it was the state of the art football game of those times. (1970) Shortly after that my father was killed in a car accident and I switched to the Cleveland Browns. They had a badass running back named Leroy Kelly #44 and I even got his autograph on a poster of him flying down the field. But at 9 years of age, just how much of a hardcore football fan can you be? Apparently, fairly hardcore. In 1973, the Redskins vs. the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. The Redskins were underdogs as I believe that this may have been the Dolphin’s unbeaten season……. Anyway, the burgundy and gold transfixed me and even at 10 years of age, I was a sucker for the underdog. I stared like a zombie at the TV while the Redskins got beaten by the Dolphins…..I’ll never forget that blocked punt that got us our only score. I was devastated as my underdog was beaten fair and square by a far superior Dolphins team. That was the day I became a Redskins fan…..1973. I have NEVER wavered in my loyalty, nor have I ever once thought about jumping ship. Do any of you remember Larry Brown, the running back? Vince Lombardi had a hearing aid wired into his helmet so he could hear what was going on. We invented the first helmet electronics. Then I watched in horror on Thanksgiving day as a bench warmer Cowboy QB named Clint Longley trotted on the field after we sent Stabauch to the hospital with a concussion. Pass after pass completed and then a bomb to Drew Pearson for the game winning TD and I was totally sick to my stomach.

But I stuck with them, because they were my team. I watched Jergensen, then Kilmer, then Theisman, then Schrader then bla bla bla. George Allen, Joe Gibbs, Jack Kent Cooke then Daniel Snyder, and again, never flinching no matter how good or how bad our season went. My highest point? Doug Williams racking up 35 points in the second quarter vs. the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

That was by far the most exciting moment (3 hrs) in my beloved Redskin history.

So here we are, a decade later, with Gibbs back at the helm, and we’ve just been humiliated 52-7. I’m sure most of you are as sick to your stomachs as I am.

I had NO disillusions that we would win last Sunday but I honestly thought we would fight gallantly keeping the score to a respectable level. What I got was a horrific display of ineptness beyond my wildest dreams. But we’ll leave that up to others to spew accusations on (Gregg Williams, Joe Gibbs, etc) The maybe loyal, maybe asinine fact that I am still a hardcore Redskins fan can be debated by whoever and I could care less. But I do think I deserve another championship team before I get to old to thoroughly enjoy it one last time. One more time to feel it flowing thru my veins, one more time to feel I’m (and my team) are on top of the world for the next year. One more time to slam down the beers in excess like every other Sunday only X 10. We have more then enough expensive talent on our team to blow everyone off the field, at any given time. Don’t we? Where is my hard hitting high scoring team of days gone by? Do you remember where you were or what you were doing when you became a Redskins fan? And more importantly, do you remember why?

Do you remember why?

Do you remember why you’re a Redskins fan? Was it the burgundy and gold colors that transfixed you? Was it the way they were playing on a certain day in a certain game? Was it any of these? After last Sunday’s horrific embarrassment in New England, some of us may be questioning our time-tested loyalty?

Or at least trying to look back in our hazy minds to remember just what it was that made us (you) a hard-core fan of the burgundy and gold. I’ll tell you mine.

My father was a Colts fan. Yes there was a Colts team from Baltimore before there was a Peyton and my dad loved them. When I was 6 years old, he bought me the “vibrating electric football game” featuring the colts and the jets. Does anyone remember those? You bent the little fins under the player’s feet and gave that player the little felt/foam ball and flipped the “ON” switch. They would vibrate all over the steel field (not really where you wanted them to go) but it was the state of the art football game of those times. (1970) Shortly after that my father was killed in a car accident and I switched to the Cleveland Browns. They had a badass running back named Leroy Kelly #44 and I even got his autograph on a poster of him flying down the field. But at 9 years of age, just how much of a hardcore football fan can you be? Apparently, fairly hardcore. In 1973, the Redskins vs. the Dolphins in the Super Bowl. The Redskins were underdogs as I believe that this may have been the Dolphin’s unbeaten season……. Anyway, the burgundy and gold transfixed me and even at 10 years of age, I was a sucker for the underdog. I stared like a zombie at the TV while the Redskins got beaten by the Dolphins…..I’ll never forget that blocked punt that got us our only score. I was devastated as my underdog was beaten fair and square by a far superior Dolphins team. That was the day I became a Redskins fan…..1973. I have NEVER wavered in my loyalty, nor have I ever once thought about jumping ship. Do any of you remember Larry Brown, the running back? Vince Lombardi had a hearing aid wired into his helmet so he could hear what was going on. We invented the first helmet electronics. Then I watched in horror on Thanksgiving day as a bench warmer Cowboy QB named Clint Longley trotted on the field after we sent Stabauch to the hospital with a concussion. Pass after pass completed and then a bomb to Drew Pearson for the game winning TD and I was totally sick to my stomach.

But I stuck with them, because they were my team. I watched Jergensen, then Kilmer, then Theisman, then Schrader then bla bla bla. George Allen, Joe Gibbs, Jack Kent Cooke then Daniel Snyder, and again, never flinching no matter how good or how bad our season went. My highest point? Doug Williams racking up 35 points in the second quarter vs. the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

That was by far the most exciting moment (3 hrs) in my beloved Redskin history.

So here we are, a decade later, with Gibbs back at the helm, and we’ve just been humiliated 52-7. I’m sure most of you are as sick to your stomachs as I am.

I had NO disillusions that we would win last Sunday but I honestly thought we would fight gallantly keeping the score to a respectable level. What I got was a horrific display of ineptness beyond my wildest dreams. But we’ll leave that up to others to spew accusations on (Gregg Williams, Joe Gibbs, etc) The maybe loyal, maybe asinine fact that I am still a hardcore Redskins fan can be debated by whoever and I could care less. But I do think I deserve another championship team before I get to old to thoroughly enjoy it one last time. One more time to feel it flowing thru my veins, one more time to feel I’m (and my team) are on top of the world for the next year. One more time to slam down the beers in excess like every other Sunday only X 10. We have more then enough expensive talent on our team to blow everyone off the field, at any given time. Don’t we? Where is my hard hitting high scoring team of days gone by? Do you remember where you were or what you were doing when you became a Redskins fan? And more importantly, do you remember why?

My family moved to Northern VA in 1967.

The First Redskin Game I can remember is the Redskins - Dallas NFC Championship Game in 1971 that put the Redskins in SB VII.

My Best Redskin moment: January - 1988. In College out West. Watching SB XXII in the TV Room. Me and 40 Denver Bronco fans. It was 21-10 and I ran to the bathroom to take a leak. By the time I came back, it was 28-10. By halftime, I was the only one there. I was never so proud to be a Redskin Fan.

It's a shame that the only thing that keeps much of us going is reliving the glory days. The more time goes by, the more it feels like just a dream.

My family moved to Northern VA in 1967.

The First Redskin Game I can remember is the Redskins - Dallas NFC Championship Game in 1971 that put the Redskins in SB VII.

My Best Redskin moment: January - 1988. In College out West. Watching SB XXII in the TV Room. Me and 40 Denver Bronco fans. It was 21-10 and I ran to the bathroom to take a leak. By the time I came back, it was 28-10. By halftime, I was the only one there. I was never so proud to be a Redskin Fan.

It's a shame that the only thing that keeps much of us going is reliving the glory days. The more time goes by, the more it feels like just a dream.

I am 1/4 Tuscarora Indian and liked the name.

1973 - George Allen and the Redskins went 10 - 4 that year.

Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer, Larry Brown, Charlie Harraway, Ken Houston, Charley Taylor...hooked me.

Minnesota Vikings beat us by 7 in the playoffs. Dolphins beat them in the Superbowl.

Dallas, Philly, St. Louis Cardinals and Giants were in the NFC East then.

I am 1/4 Tuscarora Indian and liked the name.

1973 - George Allen and the Redskins went 10 - 4 that year.

Sonny Jurgensen, Billy Kilmer, Larry Brown, Charlie Harraway, Ken Houston, Charley Taylor...hooked me.

Minnesota Vikings beat us by 7 in the playoffs. Dolphins beat them in the Superbowl.

Dallas, Philly, St. Louis Cardinals and Giants were in the NFC East then.

My Dad was a "casual" fan. He wanted the Redskins to win but didn't put alot of emphasis on watching football. He was a diehard Yankees fan and concentrated more on baseball than football:doh:. O well..that was my Dad(gotta luv him anyway). I grew up in a small town and high school football was our pride & joy. Me and group of friends along w/my best friend's parents(she had the coolest mom and stepdad) attended every high school football game during my entire childhood starting @ about 3rd or 4th grade(if I remember correctly). So football became a way of life for us. By Jr. High I was really into football...back then girls weren't allowed to play on the school team(they are now..and yes there are some females on some of the high school teams or there were a few years ago)so I would just go and watch. My 8th grade math teacher was the defensive coach for our Jr. High football team and asked me if I was interested in keeping the stats for the team...I jumped at it...had a blast! Learned alot about football and had a comraderie w/the guys on the team like you wouldn't believe. My friends were jealous..only girl on a bus full of football players:D. Of course..they became like my friends:doh: which meant no dates w/them(they all told me it would be like dating your sister:doh:anyhoo...my love for football was cemented during that time and since the Skins were kinda my Dad's team..they were automatically my team. I remember those SB wins very well. My earliest memory was of the 72 SB appearance. My most "down" moment was that Thanksgiving day game against Dallas when Clint Longley came in and threw that TD pass to Drew Pearson down the left side of the field (:cuss::cuss:still pissed off about that one). I've loved this team for quite some time...and I can't imagine cheering for another team. I clearly don't understand why other ppl like other teams:whoknows:. Why would you when the Redskins exist? Anyway..that's my story...HTTR 4ever!

My Dad was a "casual" fan. He wanted the Redskins to win but didn't put alot of emphasis on watching football. He was a diehard Yankees fan and concentrated more on baseball than football:doh:. O well..that was my Dad(gotta luv him anyway). I grew up in a small town and high school football was our pride & joy. Me and group of friends along w/my best friend's parents(she had the coolest mom and stepdad) attended every high school football game during my entire childhood starting @ about 3rd or 4th grade(if I remember correctly). So football became a way of life for us. By Jr. High I was really into football...back then girls weren't allowed to play on the school team(they are now..and yes there are some females on some of the high school teams or there were a few years ago)so I would just go and watch. My 8th grade math teacher was the defensive coach for our Jr. High football team and asked me if I was interested in keeping the stats for the team...I jumped at it...had a blast! Learned alot about football and had a comraderie w/the guys on the team like you wouldn't believe. My friends were jealous..only girl on a bus full of football players:D. Of course..they became like my friends:doh: which meant no dates w/them(they all told me it would be like dating your sister:doh:anyhoo...my love for football was cemented during that time and since the Skins were kinda my Dad's team..they were automatically my team. I remember those SB wins very well. My earliest memory was of the 72 SB appearance. My most "down" moment was that Thanksgiving day game against Dallas when Clint Longley came in and threw that TD pass to Drew Pearson down the left side of the field (:cuss::cuss:still pissed off about that one). I've loved this team for quite some time...and I can't imagine cheering for another team. I clearly don't understand why other ppl like other teams:whoknows:. Why would you when the Redskins exist? Anyway..that's my story...HTTR 4ever!

It was watching Riggo with my dad when i was a little kid

Ditto. I was watching the Diesel back in the day and my dad always used to say about Riggins is look at the second effort he gives on every play. He doesn't go down easily. That is what I remember most about my first redskins memory. I agree about the loss. I was pained more that our team didn't come out to play and compete. We want to be a playoff team and make the playoffs and I hear all the talk about last year really motivated them to make a difference. I think that we are making strides, but I would say that you saw the difference between a super bowl team and a team that may make the wild card or even go 8-8 and be left out in a very bad NFC. Being hit with reality was not very fun last weekend, that much I can say.

It was watching Riggo with my dad when i was a little kid

Ditto. I was watching the Diesel back in the day and my dad always used to say about Riggins is look at the second effort he gives on every play. He doesn't go down easily. That is what I remember most about my first redskins memory. I agree about the loss. I was pained more that our team didn't come out to play and compete. We want to be a playoff team and make the playoffs and I hear all the talk about last year really motivated them to make a difference. I think that we are making strides, but I would say that you saw the difference between a super bowl team and a team that may make the wild card or even go 8-8 and be left out in a very bad NFC. Being hit with reality was not very fun last weekend, that much I can say.

I'm a third-generation Redskins fan. My grandfather worked as a civilian at the old Navy Department building in DC (known colloquially as "Main Navy," since torn down). He designed radar systems during WWII and for many years later. My dad was born and raised in Chantilly and remained in the area after college, teaching high school and coaching basketball and football. I was around football from my earliest days. The Redskins were the home team for my dad and grandfather, hence their loyalty.

When I was 8 years old, my dad and I moved from Centreville to the Gulf Coast of Florida. This was the year that I started really comprehending football. This was also the year of our first Super Bowl victory. Being situated roughly equidistant from Tampa and Miami, we were subjected to regular doses of the Bucs (who were horrible) and the Dolphins (who obviously were pretty good). Televised Redskins games were hard to come by, but we watched what we could, got highlights when we could, and lived off of clippings from the Post that my grandparents would send (I still have most of these somewhere in a scrapbook that I made).

In my first nine years as a Redskins fan, we won three Super Bowls. That's enough to hook anyone. Adding to that was the fact that Redskins games were so hard to come by where we lived, that when we did get one, it was like Christmas. It was something special. I remember a couple of times when the Bucs were stinking things up so badly that the local CBS affiliate switched us to the Redskins game in the third quarter. I even remember one week when the Bucs were expected to get trounced so badly, that the local affiliate didn't even show the Bucs game, and instead gave us the Skins. :)

After college, I moved back to Northern Virginia, and it felt so great to be able to watch the Redskins every week. No wishing, no straining to pick out a weak AM radio broadcast from who knows where (which happened occasionally); just turn on the TV, and there they were. We would've given an arm and a leg for this in Florida.

Out on my own with some disposable income, I was able to go to some games, and that opened up a whole new world of addiction. ;)

Now I'm on the West Coast, far away from the team that I love no matter how much they confound me, and games are a precious commodity again (made more available thanks to the Internet). It's a bit like being a kid again, because the Redskins, once again, are a connection to the land that I first called home.

I'll always be a Redskins fan. It's partly out of tradition, but mostly it's because I want to be a Redskins fan, even when it kills me. I always believe in them, even when things are at their darkest and fairweathers are jumping off. I guess it's love.

Hail to the Redskins.

I'm a third-generation Redskins fan. My grandfather worked as a civilian at the old Navy Department building in DC (known colloquially as "Main Navy," since torn down). He designed radar systems during WWII and for many years later. My dad was born and raised in Chantilly and remained in the area after college, teaching high school and coaching basketball and football. I was around football from my earliest days. The Redskins were the home team for my dad and grandfather, hence their loyalty.

When I was 8 years old, my dad and I moved from Centreville to the Gulf Coast of Florida. This was the year that I started really comprehending football. This was also the year of our first Super Bowl victory. Being situated roughly equidistant from Tampa and Miami, we were subjected to regular doses of the Bucs (who were horrible) and the Dolphins (who obviously were pretty good). Televised Redskins games were hard to come by, but we watched what we could, got highlights when we could, and lived off of clippings from the Post that my grandparents would send (I still have most of these somewhere in a scrapbook that I made).

In my first nine years as a Redskins fan, we won three Super Bowls. That's enough to hook anyone. Adding to that was the fact that Redskins games were so hard to come by where we lived, that when we did get one, it was like Christmas. It was something special. I remember a couple of times when the Bucs were stinking things up so badly that the local CBS affiliate switched us to the Redskins game in the third quarter. I even remember one week when the Bucs were expected to get trounced so badly, that the local affiliate didn't even show the Bucs game, and instead gave us the Skins. :)

After college, I moved back to Northern Virginia, and it felt so great to be able to watch the Redskins every week. No wishing, no straining to pick out a weak AM radio broadcast from who knows where (which happened occasionally); just turn on the TV, and there they were. We would've given an arm and a leg for this in Florida.

Out on my own with some disposable income, I was able to go to some games, and that opened up a whole new world of addiction. ;)

Now I'm on the West Coast, far away from the team that I love no matter how much they confound me, and games are a precious commodity again (made more available thanks to the Internet). It's a bit like being a kid again, because the Redskins, once again, are a connection to the land that I first called home.

I'll always be a Redskins fan. It's partly out of tradition, but mostly it's because I want to be a Redskins fan, even when it kills me. I always believe in them, even when things are at their darkest and fairweathers are jumping off. I guess it's love.

Hail to the Redskins.

Archived