Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A poll and a question; the meaning of "Redskins' Football"

DCsportsfan53

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Gibbs will not reach the NFC Champ. game this year with this team, maybe next year with a few changes but I say that every year. As for the definition of Redskins football it's very easy, Redskins football is about winning and winning constantly, at least to me it is. I remember winning games pretty, ugly, blowouts, and last second games but we always won 10+ games and were hell in the playoffs. We won running, passing, with tough D it didn't matter because we won constantly.

Exactly what I was getting at and that's exctly my feeling of what Redskins Football is. We won every which way possible but dammit, you didn't want to play us, you knew you'd come out bruised and more likely than not, we would win.

What I see now couldn't be further from that and after 3 and a half years of hoping we'll get there, I'm having a real hard time believing anymore. :(

Gibbs will not reach the NFC Champ. game this year with this team, maybe next year with a few changes but I say that every year. As for the definition of Redskins football it's very easy, Redskins football is about winning and winning constantly, at least to me it is. I remember winning games pretty, ugly, blowouts, and last second games but we always won 10+ games and were hell in the playoffs. We won running, passing, with tough D it didn't matter because we won constantly.

Exactly what I was getting at and that's exctly my feeling of what Redskins Football is. We won every which way possible but dammit, you didn't want to play us, you knew you'd come out bruised and more likely than not, we would win.

What I see now couldn't be further from that and after 3 and a half years of hoping we'll get there, I'm having a real hard time believing anymore. :(

In the past it has been easy to define

Physical, punishing line of scrimmage dominance on both sides

Intelligent play calling, innovative offensive attack

Controlled agression on defense, Respectful mean streak toward opponents

I keep the image of the "88" team in mind for the above.:helmet:

Its up to the 2007 skins to define all this for themselves in the wake of getting bent over this past week.

In the past it has been easy to define

Physical, punishing line of scrimmage dominance on both sides

Intelligent play calling, innovative offensive attack

Controlled agression on defense, Respectful mean streak toward opponents

I keep the image of the "88" team in mind for the above.:helmet:

Its up to the 2007 skins to define all this for themselves in the wake of getting bent over this past week.

Why's that?

Actually, the question regarding Redskins Football is great, but the one about this team going to the NFC Championship under Gibbs......well, I'm pretty sure his approval rating is WAY down right now.

I'm surprised that the results are pretty even.

Why's that?

Actually, the question regarding Redskins Football is great, but the one about this team going to the NFC Championship under Gibbs......well, I'm pretty sure his approval rating is WAY down right now.

I'm kind of surprised, too. The reason I asked was because for me, unless there's a dramatic change in the way things are done and the attitude displayed through the play calling and risk taking, it's not even a possibility. I finally came to that unwanted conclusion after last week because if there was ever a game to pull out the stops, try everything and go for broke it was last week's game. And we did the opposite. At this point in the 4th year of Gibbs II, that leads me to believe that the philosophical shift is not going to happen and that Gibbs is completely set in his ways. I just don't know how else to explain why this looks like the Mark Brunell circa 2004 offense.

Redskins football refers to conservative offensive philosophy, and you don't wan't to know what kind of feeling they evoke in me lol.

:laugh:

Read what Loyal2 wrote and my response. I think the characterization you (and many others) hold of a conservative offensive philosophy and running the ball at all costs are misguided. Gibbs 1 would call fake punts, surprise onside kicks, throw when everyone expected the run and run when everyone expected the pass. He was unpredictable and adapted to the players he had and the team he was playing. That's the key difference for me. I don't see the adaption to his team or the opposing team. It feels like we go in with the same offensive gameplan week in, week out, year in, year out.....no matter the players we put out there and no matter the strengths and weaknesses of the defense and team we're playing. That fact, and the fact that it was NEVER that way the first go round are what have left me with little hope for any real success this time around.

And btw, for the record, the NFC champ game question for me is something of a barometer for success. I can't possibly consider Gibbs II a success if after 4 (or 5) years we haven't won one NFC East Title or reached 1 NFC Championship Game.

I'm kind of surprised, too. The reason I asked was because for me, unless there's a dramatic change in the way things are done and the attitude displayed through the play calling and risk taking, it's not even a possibility. I finally came to that unwanted conclusion after last week because if there was ever a game to pull out the stops, try everything and go for broke it was last week's game. And we did the opposite. At this point in the 4th year of Gibbs II, that leads me to believe that the philosophical shift is not going to happen and that Gibbs is completely set in his ways. I just don't know how else to explain why this looks like the Mark Brunell circa 2004 offense.

Redskins football refers to conservative offensive philosophy, and you don't wan't to know what kind of feeling they evoke in me lol.

:laugh:

Read what Loyal2 wrote and my response. I think the characterization you (and many others) hold of a conservative offensive philosophy and running the ball at all costs are misguided. Gibbs 1 would call fake punts, surprise onside kicks, throw when everyone expected the run and run when everyone expected the pass. He was unpredictable and adapted to the players he had and the team he was playing. That's the key difference for me. I don't see the adaption to his team or the opposing team. It feels like we go in with the same offensive gameplan week in, week out, year in, year out.....no matter the players we put out there and no matter the strengths and weaknesses of the defense and team we're playing. That fact, and the fact that it was NEVER that way the first go round are what have left me with little hope for any real success this time around.

And btw, for the record, the NFC champ game question for me is something of a barometer for success. I can't possibly consider Gibbs II a success if after 4 (or 5) years we haven't won one NFC East Title or reached 1 NFC Championship Game.

Redskins football means simply beating up your opponent and wearing them down. It could be from a power running game but not necessarily. It means that you have a roster of players that realize the team comes first and you accept whatever role you have in it. It means being tough and smart.

Gibbs used to be able to adapt to his talent. He came in as a disciple of Air Coryell but when he realized he didn't have the personnel to make that work he switched to the punishing ground game. He wouldn't hesitate to improvise if he thought that would help the team. A classic example was when he benched George Rogers in the Super Bowl and instead started Timmy Smith. Sadly those days are just a memory.

I'm still hopeful of an NFC title game though if for no other reason than the NFC is pretty mediocre at the moment.

Redskins football means simply beating up your opponent and wearing them down. It could be from a power running game but not necessarily. It means that you have a roster of players that realize the team comes first and you accept whatever role you have in it. It means being tough and smart.

Gibbs used to be able to adapt to his talent. He came in as a disciple of Air Coryell but when he realized he didn't have the personnel to make that work he switched to the punishing ground game. He wouldn't hesitate to improvise if he thought that would help the team. A classic example was when he benched George Rogers in the Super Bowl and instead started Timmy Smith. Sadly those days are just a memory.

I'm still hopeful of an NFC title game though if for no other reason than the NFC is pretty mediocre at the moment.

Archived