Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Through 6 weeks- Who is the defensive player of the year?

GOSKINS_08

Negative. Post their numbers next to Osi's.

Osi - 8 Sacks, 3 FF's. 1 Def TD, 16 Qb hurries, 24 tackles in 6 and a half games.

Urlacher plays in a Cover 2 D-so it's no surprise his stat sheet is somewhat nul.

Not saying he's been the best defensive player or anything, but when he was in a much different scheme when Jauron was there, his stat sheet was much fuller.

Aside from one game (one great game, but one game) Osi has been average at best. Subtract the philthy game and what are his stats? (18 tackles and 2 sacks) not impressive. He has also done it on a D that is ranked in the bottom half of the league in ppg.

Taylor on the other hand has 5 picks and is doing it for a D that is ranked 3rd in ppg. ST makes this defense excellent. Osi doesn't make his defense good.

Aside from one game (one great game, but one game) Osi has been average at best. Subtract the philthy game and what are his stats? (18 tackles and 2 sacks) not impressive. He has also done it on a D that is ranked in the bottom half of the league in ppg.

Taylor on the other hand has 5 picks and is doing it for a D that is ranked 3rd in ppg. ST makes this defense excellent. Osi doesn't make his defense good.[/QUOTE]

:doh:

Fletcher is definitely our MVP on defense. Stats are one thing, but he's the leader out there and it shows.

Carter has shown alot this year, and could be what makes this defense better than what we had in Williams' 1st and 2nd years here. With out his pressure I don't know that Taylor would have the INTs he's been getting. For once, we have a pass rush from our front 4 and he's the main reason.

But then again, Ed Reed got alot of credit for having 9 INTs one year, and most of those plays were gimmie INTs as well. I don't think Taylor should have that counted as a knock against him. What hurts Taylor, is that he could have had 2-3 more INTs than he already has, but dropped them.

Fletcher is definitely our MVP on defense. Stats are one thing, but he's the leader out there and it shows.

Carter has shown alot this year, and could be what makes this defense better than what we had in Williams' 1st and 2nd years here. With out his pressure I don't know that Taylor would have the INTs he's been getting. For once, we have a pass rush from our front 4 and he's the main reason.

But then again, Ed Reed got alot of credit for having 9 INTs one year, and most of those plays were gimmie INTs as well. I don't think Taylor should have that counted as a knock against him. What hurts Taylor, is that he could have had 2-3 more INTs than he already has, but dropped them.

Unless, Taylor can notch double digit interceptions, it's going to be very tough for him to win. As you can see, the sportswriters tend to vote for the big sack guys:

http://football.about.com/od/nflhistory/a/nflawardsdpy.htm

DBs win this thing about once per decade. Champ Bailey was as good as any CB has ever been last season and he didn't win it. The one thing Taylor has going for him though is that he is a high profile player. So he's got an outside shot.

I think the recipe for him to win would be for the defense to continue to play well, Skins to make the playoffs, and pick off 10 passes.

Ed Reed had 9 INTs and won it.

Unless, Taylor can notch double digit interceptions, it's going to be very tough for him to win. As you can see, the sportswriters tend to vote for the big sack guys:

http://football.about.com/od/nflhistory/a/nflawardsdpy.htm

DBs win this thing about once per decade. Champ Bailey was as good as any CB has ever been last season and he didn't win it. The one thing Taylor has going for him though is that he is a high profile player. So he's got an outside shot.

I think the recipe for him to win would be for the defense to continue to play well, Skins to make the playoffs, and pick off 10 passes.

Ed Reed had 9 INTs and won it.

Archived