Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Lack An Elusive (Scat) Back

method man

i think we have fine backs that NEED to go take that class tiki barber did, and learn how hold on to the ball. i swear those two(portis and betts) only fumble when it hurts us the most(second half while we're going for the go-ahead) then we crumble. mason SHOULD be on the active roster if hes still with the team, cuz if portis aint healthy and all men are interchangable we could doeCdoe mm and betts. yeah the line's got some issues there, but bugel gets paid too. we dont need an elusive back(whatever that is), we need to do a better job at fundamentals and execution on a consistant basis.

When you are in the second level, it is up to the back much more than the OLine to make something happen.

Bingo. We DO NOT have a back on our roster who's capable of breaking tackles or making people miss in the second level. All those 8 yard runs we get, where the line gets the back on the second level, the CBs and S win those battles with our backs far more than they ever should. The elite backs in this league win those battles consistently, we consistently lose them. We do not have an elite RB on our roster.

Guest sith lord

People keep talking about Portis being so injured. If he's so injured, then why is he in the game. What if he has a 100 yd game next week? Remember, he's injured though. I think people are just making excuses for his lack of production.

People keep talking about Portis being so injured. If he's so injured, then why is he in the game. What if he has a 100 yd game next week? Remember, he's injured though. I think people are just making excuses for his lack of production.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think the same thing. He doesn't seem to have that elite top end speed anymore and without it, as much punishment as he lays out, he just doesn't break or elude tackles. Watching the Dallas game last night I remarked that when you watch Portis run, you cringe every time wondering if he's going to get hurt or take a big shot. You watch Marion Barber run and you wonder when he's next going run over a LB like said LB was a 14 year old girl. Portis just looks like he's breaking down, man, he really does. I certainly hope not but he just hasn't been an elite back as a Redskin. He's been a good one but he looks worse this year than he has at any point so far in Washington.

Not knocking Betts but IMO he was the product of our O-Line last year, along with opposing teams not respecting him as much as they USED to fear Portis.

Right now with the line being so bad (which its hard to blame depth as much as just bad luck) its hard to really gauge how Portis is but at times he does seem to "fall down" just when he could break a long one.

Guest sith lord
Right now with the line being so bad (which its hard to blame depth as much as just bad luck) its hard to really gauge how Portis is but at times he does seem to "fall down" just when he could break a long one.

Ever since Portis has become a Redskin, he's had that problem. He just falls down for no reason.

Ever since Portis has become a Redskin, he's had that problem. He just falls down for no reason.

HUSH!!! Leave me alone in the state of denial!!

I guess I am just like the rest of us who don't want to face the fact he is really just filling the slot but can block really well...

A component that we are lacking right now is a 3rd down back in the mold of a Jerious Norwood or DeAngelo Williams. We don't have that guy who is a breakaway threat everytime he touches the ball.

Portis used to be that guy but injuries and muscle gain have turned him into a power back. Betts is too similar to Portis and doesn't really provide much of a change of pace; that is why I think he should be traded.

If this running game doesn't get going in full gear by Week 12 or so when Randy Thomas gets back, maybe we should start giving Marcus Mason some chances.

Injuries to the OLine is hurting the running game.

Man I hope our Oline injuries aren't as serious as they looked. We have absolutely no depth there.

We had depth, as good as a lot of teams, but it's hard to compensate when your center, your right guard, your right tackle your right tackle's backup, your right tackle's backup backup goes down. Teams just don't have that kind of depth.

Archived