Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2002 Season Review: Rod Gardner, WR

Thinking Skins

2002 Season Review: Rod Gardner, WR

01/17/2003

Editor's Note: Washington finished the season 7-9, but won its last two games to provide momentum heading into the offseason. The Redskins beat the Cowboys in the final game of the season, ending the team's 10-game losing streak to its long-time rival.

Heading into the offseason, Redskins.com will take a look back at the performances of selected players from the 2002 season. Two Redskins--linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Champ Bailey--were selected to the Pro Bowl, but many others made significant contributions to the team as well.

Vital Stats

Receptions: 71

Yards: 1,006

Touchdowns: 8

Height: 6-2

Weight: 217

Experience: Completed two seasons

College Clemson

Season Review

The 2002 season started very well for Rod Gardner. In the team's opening game against the Cardinals, a solid 31-23 win, Gardner caught seven balls for 131 yards and one touchdown. He and quarterback Shane Matthews appeared to be in sync from the start.

But 2002 would have its peaks and valleys for Gardner, the Redskins' first-round draft pick in 2001. Head coach Steve Spurrier even replaced Gardner in the starting line-up against Green Bay in Week 7. But Gardner started the team's other 15 games, and put together a better season than he had in his rookie season of 2001.

Gardner led the Redskins with eight touchdown catches, and he compiled two games with over 100 yards receiving. In addition, Gardner brought consistency to a wide receiving corps that endured some changes through the 2002 season. Kevin Lockett, Jacquez Green and Willie Jackson all were released at different points.

Gardner also became the first Redskins receiver to eclipse the 1,000-yard receiving mark in a single season since 1999. That season, Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell both accomplished the feat.

2003 Outlook

Gardner will have one year of experience in Spurrier's offense, which should give him a solid foundation from which to work. With other Redskins also becoming more familiar with Spurrier's scheme, and Patrick Ramsey named the team's starting quarterback, Gardner should see increased opportunities at wide receiver.

What I noticed is that Gardener needed like 200 yards to get to 1000 for the season with 3 or 4 games to go. Of corse I figured we had a WR bound to get like 12 or 1300 yards for the season. It really surprised me when he only had 1008 at the end of the season. I'm wondering if Ramsey just likes Thompson the same way that Gus liked Ellard and Shepard. I was really wondering about their chemistry and if Ramsey really trusts Gardener to run the correct route or to be open down the stretch.

Archived