Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Study & Poll on Anti-Semitism in America

redman

Study: Dems more anti-Semitic than GOPers

Survey finds bias against Jews greater among young

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: January 15, 2003

1:00 a.m. Eastern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A new study finds Democrats are more anti-Semitic than Republicans.

The Institute for Jewish & Community Research, which conducted an authoritative public opinion survey on the topic of anti-Semitic beliefs, also reveals the young are more likely to be anti-Jewish than those over 35.

"In the wake of the Holocaust, social norms in the United States and elsewhere in the world were more prohibitive of most overt expressions of anti-Semitism," said Gary Tobin, president of the institute. "The constraints against anti-Semitism are weakening, and the rise in anti-Semitic beliefs is part of that trend."

The survey, entitled, "Anti-Semitic Beliefs in the United States," by Tobin and Sid Groeneman, also asked some other timely questions, and yielded some surprising results:

Nearly one-third of Americans (32 percent) were concerned that a Jewish president might not act in America's best interests if they conflict with Israel's. This belief recalls the "dual loyalties" stigma sometimes applied to American Jews – that Jewish Americans are at least equally swayed by Israel's interests as by what is best for America.

Democrats tend to be more anti-Semitic than Republicans. For example, Republicans are less likely to view Jews as caring only about themselves (12 percent) than Democrats or independents (20 percent each). This finding may come as a surprise to many Jews, who are much more heavily aligned with the Democratic Party.

Thirty-seven percent of Americans agree that Jews were responsible for killing Jesus Christ. Historically the Christ-killing charge has served as an ideological basis of anti-Semitism. Moreover, the analysis shows that those holding the view that Jews killed Jesus Christ are more likely to accept other anti-Jewish stereotypes, see Jews as different from themselves, and also see Jews as a moral threat to America.

In addition, the survey asked respondents about their beliefs regarding:

Jewish "control of the media"

Jewish lawyers

Holocaust denial

Jewish "influence on Wall Street"

The data from the survey also revealed a connection between anti-Israelism and anti-Semitism.

"Much of anti-Israelism is thinly veiled anti-Semitism – anti-Semitism in disguise," said Tobin. "The same kinds of stereotypes are often used, such as Israel controls the media or Congress."

On the other hand, the research revealed that nearly one-half of the American public (49 percent) perceives Jews as "like themselves" in terms of basic beliefs and values. Jews are viewed as more similar in basic beliefs and values to other Americans than Muslims, Mormons and atheists. However, Jews are seen as significantly less similar to other Americans than blacks, Hispanics and Catholics. In other words, Catholics, Hispanics and blacks are viewed as more "American" than Jews, while Mormons, Muslims and atheists are not.

Tobin reminds us that "we cannot ignore the flip side of this story: Jews are accepted in America by large numbers." He says, "Indeed, it is not insignificant that about 50 million plus Americans, or 24 percent of our sample, do not hold even one anti-Semitic belief."

The survey was conducted by International Communications Research, a leading public opinion research organization based in Media, Pa., utilizing random-digit dialing. The sample for the main survey is made up of 1,013 randomly selected adults from across the country. The sampling error for total-sample percentage estimates is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

As a young democrat that happens to be Jewish, this doesn't surprise me one bit. Today's "liberals" are nothing more than people that have to root for the underdog, no matter if they are the ones that are targetting women and children.

As for the "fact" that Jews are more aligned with the Democratic party, I think this isn't really so true anymore. While the GOP was (is?) the party for old white WASPs, I think it's clear with the events of the past 24+ months, that the Republicans are at least more reasonable than the Democratic grass-root types in the Boston and San Fran areas. As proof, behold the idiocy:

swas.jpg

"Nearly one-third of Americans (32 percent) were concerned that a Jewish president might not act in America's best interests if they conflict with Israel's. "

One question I have is do people think that a Christian President is more likely to put a Christian country's interests ahead of ours or ahead of a nonchristian country?

Side question number 2: How many here think a Catholic president would put the Vaticans views ahead of the social norms embraced by a majority of the US when it comes to social issues?

I wouldn't be surprised to find that many americans are skeptical of the religion of our politicians regardless of the religion. It might not account for 32 percent, but I suspect that some of that percentage represents a distrust of religion rather than a distrust of Jews.

Note, I am not saying there is no anti semitism in this country. Some of the questions just seem designed to get some odd responses. If somebody asked me who is more American a Jew or a Black man, I wouldn't know how to answer. Can't they both be American? more/less american? Huh? Either you are or you aren't.

gbear, I think it's a little different because there is a Jewish state in the world. While the Vatican I guess is viewed in a similar light (as a Catholic state), I'm not sure most Americans draw the same similarities. In addition, there's no Protestant state.

Anyway, your question of "One question I have is do people think that a Christian President is more likely to put a Christian country's interests ahead of ours or ahead of a nonchristian country?" doesn't really make sense. We already live in a Christian country.

But I do agree with you, that the poll seems to try to get the answer it wants. I'm not sure that America's best interests are radically (if at all) different than Israel's though. I worry that this 32% is actually people that think America's best interests don't involve Israel at all.

Yeah, but how often do we put a European Christian country's needs ahead of a muslim country? I'd say fairly often. The reasons are many: our cultures are closer, our history of being on the same side in wars, ect. Does that imply anti muslim attitudes?

As for your last point, I think you're probably right that there are lots of people who don't see our interests as matching Israels interests. I just don't know how much of it to attribute to anti-semitism. That poll doesn't really help me. Intuitively, I suspect it's there. It's just there always seem to be lots of people who don't think we should be involved outside of our borders and that financial help overseas is just wasteing tax payer dollars on charity.

Originally posted by Canyonero!

gbear, I think it's a little different because there is a Jewish state in the world. While the Vatican I guess is viewed in a similar light (as a Catholic state), I'm not sure most Americans draw the same similarities.

When JFK ran for Prez, this in fact was apparently a common perception/concern.

What if the question were "If an Irish Catholic ran for President, would you be concerned that he might give preferential treatment to the Unionists over the Protestants in the peace process to the detriment of our relations with the UK." Now, if you said yes, would that make you anti-Catholic, or anti-Irish? Or would you be just another guy trying to make a wild guess at a ridiculously nebulous question...

'Anti-Semetic' is a pretty strong term. Just because someone may make incorrect assumptions about the amount of support Jewish Americans give Israel, that doesn't make them anti-semetic. That just makes him mis-informed.

I'd prefer not to cheapen the terminology. As an American Jew myself, I'd like to save 'anti-semite' for those who truly deserve it.

Originally posted by gbear

Yeah, but how often do we put a European Christian country's needs ahead of a muslim country? I'd say fairly often. The reasons are many: our cultures are closer, our history of being on the same side in wars, ect. Does that imply anti muslim attitudes?

I think you've missed the biggest single factor for our traditional alignment with Europe on many things: we tend to align ourselves with other democracies more easily than we do with other types of governments.

And I'd point out in this regard that Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East.

I think the bottomline is that there still is a lot of anti-semitism here (and everywhere). It means little if more anti-semites are from liberal side or conservative side.

There used to be a time when there were a lot of anti-jewish sentiments in conservative wing(Read Religious right) for mainly religious reasons. Dig a little deeper and you'll find there are less such sentiments, again due to religious reasons. This may change if kingdom of God comes to pass. :rolleyes:

As someone has correctly pointed out most liberals tend to support underdogs so you are seeing less support of Israel in their ranks. (Face it, Israel and jews have been synonymous in this country for quite some time).

Bottomline- there should not be any place for anti-semitism in any progressive 21st century social system.

Archived