Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Redskins lost defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis

Thinking Skins

Originally posted by gridironmike

I hope the Edwards experiment succeeds. The players endorsed Robiske too, then dropped two of three. I am glad it happened now and that Edwards will have an entire off-season to get comfortable. I am ready for less juggling and more stability. Lets fine-tune our defense and bring in the burners for offense. Plug in a couple of guards and lets tear 'em up!

BIG BIG difference between the job Robiskie took and the job Edwards is taking.

Actually, Kurt wasn't that much of an unknown, having been the DC in Kansas City the last year he and his brother were there. before that were 3 years as DB coach. And before that ect.......

Allow me to be nitpicky. According to this, Edwards was a coach in Dallas for 3 years, (could be bad math). Before that he was Dline coach in Georgia. I will stand corrected on 4 years not 3...forgot to include this season.

http://www.haruth.com/CoachGeorgeEdwards.html

In three seasons as an NFL coach, George Edwards has established himself as a sound teacher, producing excellent results with a young group of linebackers.

Under the leadership of Edwards, Dallas saw two of its young linebackers post career-high tackle totals in 2000. The blossoming of strongside linebacker Darren Hambrick, who led the team with a career-high 154 tackles in just his second season as a starter, was the biggest surprise. Hambrick recorded the highest tackle total by a Dallas linebacker since Robert Jones recorded 162 stops in 1994. Runner-up on the tackle chart was weakside linebacker Dexter Coakley with a career-high 144 tackles. Because of injuries, Edwards shuffled Dat Nguyen and Barron Wortham in and out of the lineup at middle linebacker all season, and the duo combined for 156 tackles, including 10 behind the line of scrimmage.

In 1999, Coakley was selected to the Pro Bowl, becoming the first Dallas linebacker since Ken Norton Jr. in 1993 to earn that distinction. Coakley finished the year second on the team with 131 tackles, while leading the Cowboys with four interceptions. Randall Godfrey led Dallas in tackles with 143 stops. The season also began the emergence of first-year starter Hambrick, who started 12 games at strongside linebacker and finished the year with 62 tackles.

In his rookie season as an NFL coach, Edwards saw all three of his starters top the 100-tackle plateau and finish second, third and fourth on the team in tackles. Second-year starters Coakley and Godfrey continued their development, with each posting 100-plus tackle seasons for the second consecutive year.

Edwards spent the 1997 season as the defensive line coach at the University of Georgia, where the Bulldogs went 10-2, including a win over Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl, and finished the season ranked 10th in the final Associated Press poll. Along the way, the Georgia defense helped shut out Mississippi State 47-0, marking the first SEC shutout for the Dawgs since 1982.

In 1996, Edwards was the inside linebackers coach at Duke, his alma mater. He joined the Blue Devils after four seasons at Appalachian State University, where he coached outside linebackers in 1992-93 before taking over responsibility for all linebackers in 1994-95. While at Appalachian State, he coached Coakley, a two-time Division I-AA National Defensive Player of the Year and an all-rookie selection as a third-round draft choice of the Cowboys in 1997.

During his four-year tenure at ASU, Edwards coached two All-America and five All-Southern Conference award winning linebackers. The Mountaineers posted a 32-17 record, including a 12-1 mark in 1995, and qualified for postseason play three times during his stint in Boone, NC.

Edwards began his coaching career working with linebackers as a graduate assistant under Steve Spurrier at the University of Florida in 1991-92. In his two seasons at Florida, the Gators were 19-4, capturing the Southeastern Conference title and a spot in the Sugar Bowl following the 1991 season.

A 1989 Duke graduate, Edwards earned four letters as a linebacker with the Blue Devils. He led the team with 116 tackles in his senior season, a year the Blue Devils tied for the Atlantic Coast Conference crown and made an appearance in the All-American Bowl. Named the most valuable linebacker in 1989, Edwards was an honorable mention All-ACC selection as a senior under Spurrier. He also served two seasons as special teams captain.

A native of Siler City, NC, Edwards was a three-time all-conference and all-county choice at Jordan-Matthews High School, and he was also an academic All-America pick as a senior. Edwards graduated from Duke with a political science degree and did post-graduate study at Florida. George and wife Jami live in Coppell, TX, with their son, B.J. (1/25/00).

Bit of a difference Nighthawk.

And one more time. I am not questioning Edwards promotion. Not at all. I've stated since practically the time that Edwards was hired that he would be a likely candidate for the DC job should Lewis move on. I am ..well...read my first post. I say what I mean. :cheers:

Archived