Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Celizic at it again

drkewl

You'd think that after a victory and a 1-0 record the verbal shots the team takes in the media wouldn't be as loud and unanimous as it was earlier, but almost every recap i've been reading suggest the redskins are a horrible team that either got lucky and/or deserve no respect for the win.

Case in point, ESPN's recap of the game:

"The Redskins got...a 16-13 overtime victory over the Miami Dolphins, though they know they won't get much credit for barely beating a rookie-heavy, rebuilding team with a new coach and a new quarterback.

Both Miami and Washington were last-place teams in 2006, and it showed. Most baffling stat: five unused second-half timeouts at the end of regulation."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=270909028

Now i don't expect a lot of praise for the skins after beating the dolphins (a team they should've beat), but why is the unused TOs such a glaring indicator of bad teams? If i remember, the skins were constantly criticized last year for bad clock mgmt and running out of TOs long before the half or regulation ended. Now they end regulation with TOs to use (they only had seconds to work with on the final drive so there wasn't much opportunity to use any timeouts), and they get dissed for that.

So to recap, the redskins win, the eagles lose to an "ordinary" packers club with 500-year old Favre and the cowboys and giants display the defensive competence of a Louisville/Middle Tennessee matchup, and the general consensus is: The cowboys are superior, The giants are fun and exciting, the Eagles have a strong defense and should challenge the cowboys, and the redskins are...well, the Deadskins. :rolleyes:

Yup that's pretty much it my friend. But, did you see CP's comments in the recap I like what he said. We need the doomsayers, we do not need anyone jumping on our bandwagon. I think this team is going to play with a chip on their shoulders this season.

Archived