Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe we better resign Derrius Thompson afterall

Maybe we better resign Derrius Thompson afterall, although I hope we also sign a good FA. But in comparing his stats last year with say Antonio Freeman, Terry Glenn and even James Thrash, he did just as well if not better.

Terry Glenn - 56 catchs, 817 yds, 14.6 avg., long 49 and 2 Tds.

A. Freeman - 46 catchs, 600 yds, 13.0 avg., long 59 and 4 Tds.

J. Thrash - 52 catchs, 635 yds, 12.2 avg., long 39 and 6 Tds

Derrius Thompson:

53 catches, 773 yds, 14.7 avg., long 47 and 3 Tds.

What he did over the last 5 games extrapolates over a full season to 90 catchs, 1400 yds and 9 Tds. I don't see how the WT arrives at 17 Tds. :laugh: Of course if he started out on a terror next year, teams would start double teaming him, and he probably wouldn't make these figures. But nevertheless...... :rolleyes:

I was surprised that he did as well as Glenn and Freeman, who at one time we were considering throwing big money at to sign.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20030104-22372460.htm

STOP READING THE TIMES!

Seriously, I think Thompson should be resigned because he's one of our guys and he knows the system. You get a speedy guy or two and when you do the 5 WR set, you'd got size with Thompson and Gardner and McCants (he's 6'3') then you get your speedy FA and hopefully Cliff Russell and bam! you're spreading it out and have hands to catch it on the checkdown.

I'm real concerned about Thompson's hands. He was terrible in the Dallas game (which should have been a blow-out) and, like some others, I guage Redskins largely by their performance in Dallas games.

I'm not ready to shower him with cash. Frankly, I think McCants gives us just as much and I believe he's tougher.

I hate the thought of developing Thompson over several seasons and letting him go. I hate even more the idea of giving him starter money and watch him stink next year. With a young QB, we HAVE to have sure-handed WRs who come through in the clutch.

I thought Dennis Northcutt had a great game for the Browns against the Steelers....but when he couldn't hold on to a ball from Holcomb that hits him right in the hands, the Browns were pretty much done. Time after time, Farve hit Driver and Ferguson and they kept dropping passes.

Thompson's stats are fine. But we're not playing for stats...we're playing for wins. Does he give us a better chance to win than McCants?

Tennessee Carl,

You can't go by one game or even a few games. Everyone drops passes and has bad games from time to time. I saw Jerry Rice drop a pass late in a game that cost the Raiders a victory. Bret Favre threw 6 intersections in the playoffs last year against the Rams. Did I hear anyone say dump that bum Favre after that game? Ernest Byner made THE FUMBLE when with the Browns that cost them a Super Bowl chance.... but Byner sure was great with Joe Gibbs after we got him.

So although I wouldn't break the bank with Thompson, I would give him enough of a raise to keep him around. :rolleyes:

Thompson's performance in the Dallas game was embarassing. He dropped 5 passes (I think). But, I even stated during the game that this was certainly not like him, he has had very good hands all year. I hope this was only one bad game and it will not become a habit for him.

After having said that, I think that we should resign him. He has shown the ability to perform in the spotlight in D.C. We need talented young players at these positions (QB, WR, RB) to build a great team. I do think we are in desperate need of some speed at WR but Thompson is a good receiver that has the potential to become great.

Resign him and go forward finding a burner to complement him, Gardner and McCants!

Thompson is only going to get better with more experience. Spurrier is the first coach who has trusted him and I think he played pretty well, despite the drops. I would definately bring him back. We really just need one wideout as I see it. The thing to do is have Gardner, Thompson, McCants and Ramsey live together somewhere for a month, like Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning did after Manning's rookie year. That would make a huge difference.

The key to Thompson (as has been said repeatedly already!) is the price. He will be a very good 3rd receiver for us and may develop into an above average number 2 but we cannot and should not pay him Harrison/Owens type money (slight exaggeration I know).

We let Thrash, Connell and a few others go because someone was prepared to pay them as a starter. That's fine. If someone offers Thompson a multi-million dollar contract then we say bye bye.

If he wants to stay here and develop into someone worthy of a multi-million dollar contract in three years time then great, we pay him something equivalent to a good 3rd or average 2nd and keep a bit of continuity in the team, while at the same time reserving the big dollars for the starter that we need opposite Gardner.

And for the record I am not sure that should be Peerless Price.....

Thompson wasn't used to a QB all season, we kept flipping.

Look, Ramsey throws so much harder than anybody else on the roster, if Thompson sticks with the team then he, Gardner, Ramsey, McCants and whoever else need to get together on their own and run routes with Ramsey just throwing bullets at them. Let them learn how to catch his passes.

everything comes down to dollars.

Thompson is worth resigning at the right price :)

He is not a proven starter yet in the NFL. He is a guy that disappeared during long stretches of games against quality cornerbacks, he still has a lot to learn and polish to put into his game.

If the opportunity presents itself to draft a gamebreaking receiver or sign a veteran that can come in and provide stability and a role model for Gardner, McCants and Russell than the team may have to consider those options.

50 catches in today's NFL with the accent on the passing game and all the rules slanted toward the offense (both receivers and linemen) is not really what it used to be in terms of production.

That is 3.31 catches per game.

Compare that to the 9.25 catches per game by Marvin Harrison and you get an idea of where Thompson fits in terms of his impact on an NFL game at present.

He is an on-again, off-again threat. A guy that can make some plays and break some tackles.

He is also a guy that will drop a critical ball on third down and run the wrong pattern on occasion too :)

And he will be careless with the ball at times................

So, let's not build Derrius into more than he is.

He is a 25, soon to be 26 year old receiver who has shown SOME skills at this level, enough to be interesting but not enough to make a major financial commitment in at this time :)

I think that Thompson should be kept for the right price. He has experience now with Spurrier's system. Time spent with Ramsey's bullet passes should help with his drops.

I often think of the drops during Giant's games by Gary Clark. They were gut-wrenching, but he was a great Redskin.

It really is abouyt the money when it comes to Darrius. There are about a dozen free agents I can think of that are in a similar status and proven ability range as Darrius.

Continuity gives him the preferential nod in my book, as it should in him staying verses going.

I would like to see use sign him (or a close proximity to him of that FA group) to a three year deal with about a million bonus and then near minimum salaries.

If he proves reluctant than look to one of the other mid tier receiver FA's. That said I hope he is back.

I read a little something somewhere recently that mentioned that the staff is very pleased with the progress of Cliff Russell. Is that in his recovery, his film, recognition and playbook knowledge, or is he fully recovered enough to be running routes and catching?

A well tuned Cliff would be a really pleasant boost and could help fill a need.

Originally posted by UK Skins

The key to Thompson (as has been said repeatedly already!) is the price. He will be a very good 3rd receiver for us and may develop into an above average number 2 but we cannot and should not pay him Harrison/Owens type money (slight exaggeration I know).

We let Thrash, Connell and a few others go because someone was prepared to pay them as a starter. That's fine. If someone offers Thompson a multi-million dollar contract then we say bye bye.

If he wants to stay here and develop into someone worthy of a multi-million dollar contract in three years time then great, we pay him something equivalent to a good 3rd or average 2nd and keep a bit of continuity in the team, while at the same time reserving the big dollars for the starter that we need opposite Gardner.

And for the record I am not sure that should be Peerless Price.....

Amen!

Just to add one more thought, we already have two big WR's in Gardner and McCants. Given that, if it came down to choosing between, for example, Peerless Price and Thompson, the choice seems pretty obvious, doesn't it?

Archived