Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just saw the movie "Amelie".....

chiefhogskin48

Has anyone else seen the movie Amelie? It's a French subtitled flick that got rave reviews from movie critics, and even friends of mine. I went into it with a great attitude and expected it to be a top-notch film, but I was extremely disappointed. It was perhaps the most overrated movie I've seen since Pulp Fiction.

Amelie just seemed so predictable, wierd, and overly long... not to mention sappy. I think people probably liked it so much because it was "artsy", visually appealing, quirkily humorous, and most of all, not Hollywood.

Does anyone agree/disagree? For those of you who disagree, why was this movie so good?

I saw it with my then girlie. I thought it was weird to say the least but the more I :high: , the more I started watching the colors and stopped paying attention to her stupid saga to help people.

It was just weird but I can see how people loved it. The filmwork itself was really good, use of shots and colors.

I saw it in the movie theater when it first came out. Since there was no hype for me, I was not disappointed and, in fact, thought it was great.

That is why I hate to hear about a movie beforehand. I remember seeing "The Sting" after everyone had seen it and told me how great it was. Without any surprises at the end, I thought the movie to be just average. It is all in the expectations. If you have few, you won't be disappointed.

I thought Amelie was an awesome movie, a breath of fresh air to see movies like this out there with all the sh!t movies Hollywood churns out. I went to Blockbuster the other day and could not find one movie that even hardly tempted me to rent it, in the New Releases.

Rented Insomnia on pay-per-view last night - sucked. Don't waste the $$$.

I bought the DVD after reading rave reviews, and I thought it was fabulous.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but the fantasy elements were quite endearing. The pig lamp, the talking paintings, the talking photograph, how her TV gave her advice, so on and so forth.

It was definitely chock full of french kitsch. The American equivalent be a drive-through movie theater with Elvis and Marilyn Monroe dolls sitting in dozens of '57 Chevys.

Not that I have a problem with that. Great movie.

French film is definitely an acquired taste. I've always been the "artsy-fartsy" type, so several French films are among my all-time favorites.

Archived