Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I don't get it....

clubisyohankovic

Giants Holder Could Not Have Spiked Ball

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Associated Press

Originally published January 6, 2003, 12:27 PM EST

NEW YORK -- Giants holder Matt Allen could not have spiked the botched snap on the final play of New York's loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

It's against the rules.

Mike Pereira, the NFL supervisor of officials, confirmed Monday that Allen would not have been allowed to immediately spike the ball because it was a long snap. The only time a player can spike the ball is when he takes the snap from under the center.

With six seconds left Sunday and the Giants trailing 39-38, Matt Bryant lined up to try a potential game-winning 41-yard field goal. The snap from newly signed Trey Junkin was in the dirt. Allen fumbled the ball, then made a desperation pass downfield to what turned out to be an ineligible receiver, guard Rich Seubert.

Fox commentator Cris Collinsworth said at the time that since it was third down, Allen could have spiked the ball, giving the Giants another chance at a kick. Afterward, on the Fox postgame show, other commentators agreed.

Pereira said the only other option would have been to throw to an eligible receiver.

=============================================

I don't understand this.... To say that the holder "could not have spiked the ball...." The Giants would have been charged with a penalty, sure. But would it have been 5 yards, 10 yards?? Or is it one of those things where the team is charged 5 yards and 10 seconds off of the clock?? This story did not explain it particularly well. Can anyone clarify?

On an offensive penalty, within the last two minutes (I think) of the ball game the penalty is the yardage, loss of down what ever it may be, PLUS a 10 second run off of the clock. The kick came at :06 seconds, therefore a 10 second run off would have ended the game.

Archived