Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Monk better make it this year...

Eparadox

Wow, he's been shutout for 3 years now, really hard to believe.

The numbers speak for themselves. Enough about this crap about him not taking over games or he wasn't dominant enough. That's a load of crap. If someone like Swann can get in because he had great playoff games but didn't do jack in the regular season, I don't want to hear about Monk not being Hall material!

I don't believe that Monk is a HoF player, but I don't believe Swann should have been either. He clearly got in because of a couple of high visability catches. Unfortunatley for Monk, none of his catches had that kind of visability.

Before I get blasted, I'm not bashing Monk, I just think the HoF should be for only the elite. I do believe that there are too many in there now that don't deserve it.

Teams should have their own HoF or ring of honor etc.... Monk deserves that without a doubt... but he is not one of the greatest WR's ever to play in the NFL.

Sorry I have to get into this, but codeorama, do you know what exactly what you're talking about? Jerry Rice, Tim Brown, and Chris Carter, do those names ring a bell to you? They should, I believe they're the only guys in NFL history that have more receptions than he did. As a career, he has the least, per full season of dropped balls than any player in NFL history, since they kept record of it in the 1970's. Who's records do you think that Jerry Rice was breaking?

If Art Monk doesn't deserve to be in the Hall, then in my personal opinion, take John Riggins out, he never owned a record, keep Dan Marino out, he sucked when it came to the post season, to hell with any records, take Joe Namath out, all he did was beat the Colts, he has no records, he never made it back to the Big Show, why should he be in the Hall.

The reason why these guys are in, will be in, or should already be in, are because they were great at what they did. The Redskins would have never been Super Bowl Champions if it were not for Art Monks abilities to know where he was on the field at all times, and his leadership on and off the field. He broke records on a team that was known for taking a big running back and running the ball 50-55% of the time and sharing his play time with Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders. Jerry Rice's only sharing time was with Dwight Clark and then when he was gone, John Taylor, none were even really Pro Bowl type recievers. The Posse all made it to the Pro Bowl in one season, the year eludes me at this time.

So before you begin to say that a man isn't worthy of being in the status as one of the greatest of all times, look at all of the facts.

I've gone off on this subject more times than I can count. Three rings. Broken records all over the place. Longevity. The one, ONE stat he didn't completely dominate was TDs. Apparently that's enough for guys like Peter King to justify trashing the guy every year. I'm just waiting for them to dig their claws into Darrell Green next.

Monk belongs in the Hall. This shouldn't even be a debate.

I'm just not looking at Monk through Redskins colored goggles. And obviously, a lot of other people feel the same way, more importantly, the people with the votes.

You can throw all the numbers you want... Monk was no Jerry Rice... etc..

Like I said, I'm not bashing Monk... I have nothing against him, he was a great receiver that played a long time.

Riggins (and the Hogs) was the Redskins for a peroid of time...

Marino was the greatest passer the NFL has ever seen, defenses had to change because of him..

Namath made the NFL....

My opinion may not be popular, but it is obviously not the minority opinion.. except among Skins fans.

Code, First of all, there is only one Jerry Rice. Unless you only want one WR in the Hall then that's not a valid arguement.

Secondly, go and watch SB 26 again. See what sparked our offense. See how Gary Clark suddenly started getting open in the second half. Then tell me how Monk was not a factor in the biggest game in the NFL.

Unbelievable. When he retired everyone was referring to him as a first ballot HOFer. Now that King and his ilk have been bashing him for a few years, people are actually buying it and thinking he was some glorified possession reciever who never made a big play. Just some shmoe who specialized in the 8 yard out. This is Monk's thanks for not running to the middle of the Star and making an @ss of himself.

Cris Carter was no Jerry Rice, and has always been completely shut out in the post-season (remember 41-0...) And people were game-planning far more for Randy Moss then they were Carter. So...if Monk doesn't deserve to get in, neither does Carter.

I actually believe Swann did deserve it before Monk, BUT not Stallworth! If Stallworth deserved it, Monk does far more so. Same goes for whatsisface from SD!

Like I've said many times before, the problem with Monk and

Darrell Green is that they are not bad boys or self-promoters.

Both are very classy guys. This works against them. Both deserve HoF. Darrell has best chance. If either or both had

kissed the media's butt and done a ton of commercials they would

be in Canton in a heartbeat.

Mike Wilbon has an at-large HOF vote and should use his PTI soapbox to stump for Monk. There is no doubt in my mind he deserves it. Unfortunately, if he doesn't get in this year he may have to wait for a Veterans Committee vote. There are some colorful names on this year's list and that may work against Monk as well. :(

Archived