Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ISP Wireless Router problem

Mooka

Having trouble finding an answer...

Basically the area where I live is technically a marsh land and getting a stable high speed connection is difficult. Most providers don't provide to where I live, but of course they all do like 2 blocks away. Anyway I have comcast atm. The service in our area shuts down pretty frequently and when that happens my wireless router goes on the fritz. I have to bump it a bunch of times and completely hard reset the thing re-entering WEP security, etc. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times to get my router working again. Sometimes it just doesn't work for a while. I'm on wireless router #2 and having problems with it again. I can't keep buying new routers every time the thing goes down.

The comcast Tech Support obviously won't help me. Last time I called them, the guy told me that I didn't have internet from them. :laugh: The common NetGear tech support wouldn't help, and they charge alot for the advanced tech support.

Anyone know anything about this? Any way I can protect my router from going on the fritz when the ISP goes down?

Aaahh... your problem is with you router choice. I'm not sure Netgear routers are the best quality in optimum conditions, much less living in a swamp. Invest in a better router such as the Belkin Pre-N routers.... they are the most stable I've run across.

My comcast Triple Play is crap... I'm forever having digital feed distortions, temporary phone outages, and internet downtime. Typically the Phone Telephony box, which runs all three, will reset itself or I'll have to do it manually after a power outage... my Belkin Router seems to stay stable and keep working just as soon as I can get the Telephony modem back online.

I'm inclined to agree with the 'Netgear sucks' theory. If your wireless network goes down (so that you can't even communicate between home computers) every time the internet blanks out, there's clearly some sort of design flaw there. I'm assuming, of course, that there are no firmware updates offered by Netgear for that router which may fix the problem.

Netgear has always been fine when it comes to wired switches and routers, but their wireless has been suspect from its inception. As far as home use goes, Linksys is a pretty safe bet... but I would definitely go for the Belkin Pre-N if I were to buy a new wifi router today.

Wouldnt it be better if you asked a computer tech forum?

I'd imagine that it does help to get multiple opinions... besides, there are plenty IT guys on ES.

I have a couple of question:

1. When your Comcast connection goes down, what is the behavior of the router? Is it non-responsive, or does just the WAN connectivity quit working?

2. What happens when you attempt to bypass the router and connect directly to the cable modem? Are you able to re-establish the connectivity?

3. Do you have a static or dynamic IP address?

Basically, we have to establish if the issue isn't with the modem, and possibly an issue with the WAN/Internet port (as opposed to your router). Which means you could continue to change your routers and experience the same issue(s). Also, Comcast really needs to look at your line for signal issues, since you are a paying customer. Have they sent anyone out to examine your connection for possible issues relating to their installation and configuration?

You should have stopped by the TF forums and asked for help! (Even though I don't see ya around in SB anymore!)

Call comcast to have a technician come out and check the signal strength. Your router isn't the problem and marsh lands aren't the problem either. It's most likely a matter of a bad connection at the cable box.

It's fairly common for cheaper routers to be reset when you lose signal from the modem. Normally a simple "repair connection" within Windows Networking will do the trick. However, when my cable was upgraded to fibre optic a couple of moons ago, the idiot tech miswired the curbside box. It took about 5 trouble calls until I got a competent tech on site.

As an aside, keep track of your downtime and be sure to get reinbursed for loss of service.

Call comcast to have a technician come out and check the signal strength. Your router isn't the problem and marsh lands aren't the problem either. It's most likely a matter of a bad connection at the cable box.
Interesting. Next time a comcast guy tells me that I'm gonna call BS. :) I'll have them come and check my signal.
It's fairly common for cheaper routers to be reset when you lose signal from the modem. Normally a simple "repair connection" within Windows Networking will do the trick. However, when my cable was upgraded to fibre optic a couple of moons ago, the idiot tech miswired the curbside box. It took about 5 trouble calls until I got a competent tech on site.

As an aside, keep track of your downtime and be sure to get reinbursed for loss of service.

Will do. Thanks for reminding me about the repair connection, completely forgot about that.

Archived