Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Importance of Special Teams

SkinsThug

How mant NFC East teams make the playoffs next year?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How mant NFC East teams make the playoffs next year?

The Giants/Niners game once again proved how important it is to have your special teams in order.

Ever since our special teams debacle vs. the Bucs in the playoffs ('99?), I can't say we've improved our kicking situation. Hopefully this year the FO will get it's @ss in gear and take care of business.

I won't mention our PRs/KRs either.

OOPS.

Originally posted by riggo-toni

This was the one area where El Martay got it right, and the rest of the organization keeps mucking it up. Stock is a solid ST coach, but we made no effort to give roster spots to ST players.

You've got it 100% right!! Let's hope that SOS's painful first year in the NFL will teach him the right approach to ST play in the future. Everyone thinks that is an area where you can get by with cheap players and last minute fill-ins ( the parts-is-parts approach) until its too late.

I'm trying to remember the last time we had a good special teams unit. Riggo mentioned Marty's team, and that one wasn't bad, but not spectacular. At least they weren't give up the big plays. It would have to be back before the Norval days when our special teams were should I say "special". Every year we seem to have a couple of outstanding players in this unit and we end up losing them. Serwanga is the case this year. Improving this unit could possible be the greatest thing to happen to this team for next year. And the great thing is you don't have to pay these guys outrageous salaries to do their job.

Archived