Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins interested in Peerless Price, also 3 free agents signed

Fun & Gun

If Thompson ever became a 75 catch, 1200 yard reciever and we didn't resign him, it would be a bonehead move on our part. Because although he isn't the type of reciever we are looking for, that is still very good production from a reciever and it would mean we were pretty damn successful in the passing game. Now, he hasn't proven he can do that, yet by his stats this season he's produced better than a #3 reciever and more along the lines of a #2.

These are Derrius' stats for this season.

53 catches, 773 yards, 14.6 ypc, 4 TD

Now here the stats of other #2 recievers around the league.

Dez White - 51 catches, 656 yards, 12.9 ypc, 4 TD

Kevin Johnson - 67 catches, 703 yards, 10.5 ypc, 4 TD

Antonio Bryant - 44 catches, 733 yards, 16.7 ypc, 6 TD

Dante Stallworth - 42 catches, 594 yards, 14.1 ypc, 8 TD

David Patten - 61 catches, 824 yards, 13.5 ypc, 5 TD

Plaxico Burress - 78 catches, 1325 yards, 17.0 ypc, 7 TD

All of these guys are #2 recievers on their teams, and only Burress has better stats than Thompson. I choose these six because these were the best I could find, the other I looked at didn't produce anywhere near as much as Thompson did. So we can all stop calling him only a #3 reciever, he's proven, IN LESS GAMES, that he's right up there among the #2 recievers and can get better.

You're missing my point. He may have all the skills in the league, but we still are in a position where we need a speedy reciever, something that Thompson is not. So he does not fit into the starting lineup opposite Gardner. If he is going to be a number 3 guy on this team, then why should we overpay for him? We dont ask our number three guy to get 75 catches and 1200 yards.

Originally posted by blakman211

You're missing my point. He may have all the skills in the league, but we still are in a position where we need a speedy reciever, something that Thompson is not. So he does not fit into the starting lineup opposite Gardner. If he is going to be a number 3 guy on this team, then why should we overpay for him? We dont ask our number three guy to get 75 catches and 1200 yards.

Well who says this speedy reciever needs to start? Our base formation is one with 3 WR's on the field. Thompson could still be the starter and we could still have our speedster to stretch the field.

And one of my points was, if Thompson were to ever produce like that, does it even matter if we have a deep threat out there or not? Obviously not if he's moving the chains anyway. We all know Gardner will produce, with Thompson on the other side putting up numbers like that. Truthfully, does have a speedster really matter?

Of course, those are just fabricated numbers to prove a point. But it is possible Thompson could produce that, and he's shown that he's capable of moving the chains already. Thompson should be offered a fair contract for his skills...and not as a #3 reciever, which he is clearly not. With the way this offense is run, we could have Thompson, a speedy #2 reciever on the field with Gardner and have an awesome pass attack. It wouldn't matter at all who's the #3 or not, because our #3 reciever will get a ton of snaps anyway.

Gamebreaker,

Be careful when you make statements like the ones you began your post with. This board has many opinions, almost all of which are conflicting. Even if two people agree we should dump thompson and sign price, that doesn't mean that thier reasons for that opinion do not contradict each other.

At this point, most of the argument is over weather or not the front office has made a bonehead move by not signing DT immediately.

Also, your "research" is pretty inadequate. How about Jerry Rice, Peerless Price, Isaac Bruce, Ed McCaffery, Darell Jackson, David Patton, M. Muhhamed, Terry Glen, Todd Pinkston?

Derrius Thompson is middle of the pack #2 talent at best, He may improve to abive average number 2, but this offense needs two recievers in the top ten. As a number three he'd be amazing. That's the level of talent difference we want on offense.

-DB

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

Also, your "research" is pretty inadequate. How about Jerry Rice, Peerless Price, Isaac Bruce, Ed McCaffery, Darell Jackson, David Patton, M. Muhhamed, Terry Glen, Todd Pinkston?

Derrius Thompson is middle of the pack #2 talent at best, He may improve to abive average number 2, but this offense needs two recievers in the top ten. As a number three he'd be amazing. That's the level of talent difference we want on offense.

-DB

You got me, I did omit a few players here and there. My original point was that Thompson was a #2 reciever, whether he become more than that nobody knows, but that is what he is today. I brought up the stats of other #2 recievers to prove that he is a #2 WR as well, a middle-of-the-pack #2 reciever, but that is what he is.

Darrell Jackson, Ed Mccaffrey, David Patten, Terry Glenn, and Todd Pinkston's stats were all barely higher than Thompson's. Considering he didn't much at the start of the season, he could've been right with them. I would exclude Muhammed because he's really Carolina's best reciever, and McCaffrey was recovering from a broken leg so he would usually play better.

Spurrier never said we needed two Top 10 recievers, he just said we needed a reciever with more speed to stretch the field. If that's all he's looking for he could sign Eddie Kennison and be done with it.

Archived