Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DeE Brown Released - Making Room for Mason?

ThePreciating

Because Mason is a natural running back, probably the third best running back on the team. Plus because he is from Potomac, Maryland (Scotland). It is funny how people say that he does not have a chance, Jesse Lumsden is not even in Mason's league. Blaylock could not even start in front of Leon Washington who was a rookie last season. Tell what what running back has shinned this preseason? Mason has been the most impressive to me, Blaylock looks slow, Rock is just not a natural running back. I will keep Betts out of this because he is proven. We need young depth on this team, along with quality veterans. Mason grew up around proven running backs who played in the league, remember Paul Palmer the Heisman Trophy runner up in 1985 behind Vinny Testaverde. Yes I think Redskins fan do, he was the reason for the Cowboys only win in 1988. His uncle is Mark Mason, who started at Maryland and tried out for the Cowboys when they had Emmitt Smith in the backfield. His cousin is Travis Curtis, who played safety for the Jets and Cardinals. Mason has good people around him who have knowledge of the league, so he knows what it takes to make it. If the Redskins do cut Mason, he will be definately picked up by another team!

Good points, BUT our running game has sucked this pre-season. I'm sure the argument can be made that the blame should fall on the O-Line but I think that is a small part of the problem. Portis hasn't played and Betts has barely played. That's why the running game isn't running. I'm sure Mason has a good pedigree and is a good ath and person but he's practice squad fodder if anything at this point in his carrer. Blaylock isn't a starter and isn't being asked to start. He is a good back-up who knows the offense inside out. He will be the third back.

:dallasuck

I am just getting fed up with the IDIOTIC moves that the FO and Gibbs keep making.

Repeat after me, "Beasley is a has been". I reside in San Fran and know about him and his talent as football player. There was a good reason why he was cut by the 49ers.

At the going rate, what the FO and Gibbs should do is release everyone under the age of 25-30 years, and fill their roster slots with folks/over the hill veterans. We could be the first NFL team to have oldest players!

These are depth moves that are being brought in to challange the younger guys for roster spots. You are way to excited about this. Chill dude.

Yeesh. The day before this thread was started, it was clearly stated many times why the man was released, and it had nothing to do with Mason. This is clearly more wishful thinking than keeping up with what's really going on. Look, Mason is a young prospect at best. An unproven one in the NFL. Now Ernest Byner has stated he likes the young man and thinks he'll be a good player in the NFL. Key part of that is "going to be". That means he isn't right now. And it may mean not with the Redskins. Right now, he hasn't done a thing imho, to prove he's any better than anyone presently on the depth chart in front of him, (and he's not even on it). He's had his chances and so far, has been so so. Certainly looks like he could be good one day, but the world is full of "I could have been a contendah's". He's got alot more work to do if he's going to get himself on the roster. That means beating out Blaylock before even thinking about beating out anyone else. And he's not done that as of yet either imho, (then neither has Blaylock).

Right now I see it as Blaylock beating out Cartwright, with Mason going to the practice squad.

I like what I've seen out of Mason, but it's really hard to evaluate when you don't get to see that much. I recall some flashy players who looked great in a few situations in re-season, and then the fans found out those players had nothing more to offer against regular season competition. Consequently, Blaylock and Cartwright probably have the inside track because they have track-records, and are known quantities to the coaches.

Then again, Mason has two more games and plenty of time to 'wow' the coaches into changing their minds.

Archived