Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense Next Year

MRMADD

Defensive Depth Chart:

DT Gardner, ___, Powell, Cowsette

DE ___, Wynn, ___, Smith, Jackson (if healthy?)

LB Arrington, Armstead, Trotter, Mitchell, Pierce, Marshall, Mason

CB Bailey, Smoot, Bauman, ___

S ___, Ohalete, ___, Lott

So we'd need a DT, two DEs, a CB, and a couple of safeties. What am I missing? Is Mitchell gone?

Terrell should be on this team. People are using him as a scape goat for our defensive problems. He is a decent player, especially as a 4th corner as we saw during the two previous seasons. You don't get rid of young, versatile, cheap players. He has also shown his value on special teams.

Since when does he miss many tackles? This is an unfair criticism of Terrell. He isnt a tackling machine, but he puts people on the ground when he has the chance.

Terrell is a great player to keep around. He can backup safety and corner spots and he was a special teams stud. If he wouldn't mope about getting benched, he'd immediately be our best special teams player. You don't let players like Terrell go because they haven't proven to be dominating starting level players. He has a role and has starting experience.

Argghh. I think we can get his production out of a lot of stiffs on the street. He's a restricted free agent -- let him go. If he's gotta stay, I hope he's deep on the depth chart, or just playing lots of special teams.

The bottom line is that Terrell is a mediocre player. Not terrible, but not very good. I'd like to see us find an above-average player back there.

Terrel is a way below average starting FS, which is exploited even more in a system like M. Lewis', where the safeties play a vital role. However, he would make a very good dime CB, and a good backup safety. He's fast, and decently strong, but he lacks awareness, which is deadly for a FS.

I'm glad nobody's penciled in Big Daddy. Our interior defense seems better....significantly better...without him. I like Powell's enthusiasm (anyone else expect a taunting flag on his somersault?).

I had hoped that Bruce Smith would retire. He's looked much better toward the end of the season, but he's so inconsistent. I hope he'll retire after he gets his 3-4 sacks.

Safety is where we need immediate help. I'd like to trade down in the first and look at Julian Battle out of Tennessee.

Re our "significantly better" interior line w/o Big Daddy, could it be due to the suck-job teams we've played since he went out with an injury?

I want him back. He is solid, and a true team player -- he's already re-negotiated his contract several times to help us out with the cap. Plus he's only 28 or 29 -- still young for a DT.

I'd love to have Big Daddy back. Gardner and Wilkinson are huge in the middle -- and yes, Big Daddy does make us better. Don't judge your interior defensive line by their play against the Texans and Cowboys. Those are two of the worst offenses in the league.

That said, I don't think he'll be back.

DW was there on Turkey Day when Dallas ***** slapped us right up the middle all second half when the game was on the line. The only difference between that game and yesterday was that Solomon Page was out yesterday along with DW.

So we can say that Carl Powell is better than their backup OG. But we should also be able to say that Page is better than DW. And Page, while a pretty decent player, is no Pro Bowler.

We need Pro Bowlers on our lines. DW was close a couple of years ago but is known league-wide for being a "bust." Gardner played at that level this year and is the best DT we've had since Dave Butz. Whatever the staff did for his back should be commended. The others are just OK.

DL and OL are the guts of the team. I was glad to see Carl Powell step up yesterday. But he's an OK player on an OK DL- and that's not getting it done.

Charles Mann was a 3rd rounder and Dexter Manley a 5th. They were the two best DLs we have drafted (in my memory). Dave Butz, the 5th pick in th 1973 draft, came from STL.

We can get Pro Bowlers in any round. Let's not settle for less ...

I like Big Daddy, but we need some youth-get a FA or draft pick to put next to Gardner-keep Powell to rotate in/keep 'em fresh- keep Wynn on one end and 1st round draft pick(if not on DL) or young FA for other end. Bring in Ladarius in on third down. Put Bruce in 10 times a game to keep him fresh and give someone else a breather and get the sack record as a Redskin and retire as a Redskin.

Mitchell is a wonderful backup player. We are lucky we had him when Trotter went down. But, by no stretch of the imagination did he outplay Trotter, be it significantly or even slightly. Mitchell managed a solid 19 total tackles (including assists) in his four starts. He certainly didn't and doesn't make the number of plays Trotter made in the defense. In Trotter's four full starts immediately preceeding his injury against Dallas he had 36 total tackles. Trotter was only just coming on in the defense and making an impact. Mitchell certainly didn't have the impact on the game that Trotter was starting to have, though he is well suited for his role and did a good job, in general, of making the proper read to feed the running back to the proper gap when he'd take on blockers. Trotter still had some trouble with that even as he started to lift his game.

Archived