Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tax Question/Help

The Evil Genius

Are their any resident tax experts here?

Here's my dilemna --- I was cleaning out my closets last night and I have a lot of clothing (maybe a few hundred dollars worth) that I want to donate to charities (like Salvation Army).

As long as I donate it by tomorrow - its tax deductible right? The question is... how do you claim it on your taxes? Moreover, is it worth the hassle on your taxes?

Will it count for anything or will I still just get my standard deduction.

Going to donate clothing either way - just wondering...

no, it's one or the other.

Unless you have a bunch of deductions, you'd be better off staying with the EZ form and using the standard deductions.

Im not a CPA, but if you have the following, you should itemize

1- a sales position requiring driving.

2- home office

3- a self made expense acct (ie, you use your own CCs as payment).

You can only deduct a home office if your place of business doesn't provide one. Obviously, if you work at home, then that's different. But if your employer provides you a place to work, then it's non-deductible. My wife and I just asked a tax attorney that very question.

Not true Redman. I've been deducting for my home office for 3 years now.

Now, I do actually WORK from home a couple of times a week, so that may be a distinction between having a PC in a bedroom and calling it an office and actually having work phone and work computer and files in a seperate room.

• 2 weeks later...

I too work at home and at the office. I cannot take the deduction because the home office must be your MAIN office and mine is not.

BTW, one of the recent changes in the tax law might have been to allow some deductions for charitable contributions even if you take the standard deduction. I know that there was some talk of this and it might not have taken effect yet (or it might have been killed in committee) But check it out before you sign on the bottom line.

Archived