Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mara: Giants won't renegotiate new contract for Strahan

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2957515

click link for full article

Mara: Giants won't renegotiate new contract for Strahan

What's the Hold Up with Strahan?

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The New York Giants are not going to renegotiate Michael Strahan's $4 million contract to persuade the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end to stop mulling retirement and play this season.

"I don't want to get into negotiating in the media," co-owner John Mara said Wednesday as Strahan's holdout entered its sixth day. "He is under contract and I think you all know what our position is on that. I don't want to make any statements on that."

In his gut, Mara said he feels the 35-year-old Strahan would eventually decide to play, but he said the team was prepared to move on without him.

According to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio, free agent defensive end Simeon Rice underwent a physical conducted by Giants physicians at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York on Wednesday, then met with Giants general manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin at the Giants training facility in Albany.

It seems as though Strahan has backed himself into a corner. His choices are to retire or return with the same contract and his tail between his legs. If his sole purpose was to get out camp, he should have gone about it differently.

All the great years with the organization and he thinks they aren't treating him proper? What have they done incorrectly? I'm not seeing it. He needs to turn in his papers or swallow it and return.

From my perspective, I love the distractions he's caused!!!:D

Archived