Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paper Champs?

@DCGoldPants

Well, after watching that mess last night. I believe even more now that the AFC is the class of the NFL this year. The Steelers aren't even the best team in the AFC and they smoked the Bucs like they were the last joint on earth.

I know, I know. Brad wasn't playing. Lets be honest here. That OL gave up like 7 or 8 sacks again. He wouldn't of lasted the 1st half anyway.

They are disco dancing in Philly right now (they are alittle behind in the times) because there is no chance the playoffs go through Tampa. Now all they gotta go is beat NY IN NY (who is fighting for their playoff lives) and hope Green Bay loses or that playoff record at Lambeau is going to come into play.

Oakland/Green Bay

Originally posted by Bufford

Oakland/Green Bay

I still can't see Green Bay. As much as I hate to say it, they've clearly been handed two wins by the refs vs. Minnesota and Buffalo. Bledsoe's performance didn't help either. :rolleyes: In the long run, the Redskins will be better off with Ramsey than they would have been with Bledsoe as a quick-fix.

I also don't think the AFC is all that strong. Only Tennesee is playing consistently right now. The rest are up and down.

The two NFC teams that are peaking right now are the Giants and the Eagles. Saturday's game will be interesting.

The media anoints the Bucs the best team in the NFL each year. Any reasonable person can see that without a running game and a solid offensive line, the Bucs will go nowhere. Thus, paper champions.

Here is why I say the Packers.

The Eagles aren't playing for anything but homefield this weekend but its against the newly hot Giants.....in New York.

The Packers go to NY also but to play the Jets who will know if they have a shot for the playoffs before that game starts depending on what Miami will do.

Lets just assume for a minute that Philly does win and gets home field. Then I'd say 50/50 going on to the Superbowl to lose to whoever the AFC puts out there. If Green Bay wins and NY who is DYING to get into the playoffs and is a division rival beats you guys. Then that's it. Playoff teams go into Green Bay but they don't come out. I don't know how many years now its been that story. Green Bay struggling inside of domes. That's a fact but right now there aren't really any left they'd have to face. Atlanta might be it and they are a wildcard.

So again. Green Bay/ Oakland. Even if Philly has homefield, we've seen what Indy did at the Vet and Favre would be the best QB you faced all year. Better than Brunell or McNair or Manning.

Originally posted by Bufford

Here is why I say the Packers.

The Eagles aren't playing for anything but homefield this weekend but its against the newly hot Giants.....in New York.

The Packers go to NY also but to play the Jets who will know if they have a shot for the playoffs before that game starts depending on what Miami will do.

Lets just assume for a minute that Philly does win and gets home field. Then I'd say 50/50 going on to the Superbowl to lose to whoever the AFC puts out there. If Green Bay wins and NY who is DYING to get into the playoffs and is a division rival beats you guys. Then that's it. Playoff teams go into Green Bay but they don't come out. I don't know how many years now its been that story. Green Bay struggling inside of domes. That's a fact but right now there aren't really any left they'd have to face. Atlanta might be it and they are a wildcard.

So again. Green Bay/ Oakland. Even if Philly has homefield, we've seen what Indy did at the Vet and Favre would be the best QB you faced all year. Better than Brunell or McNair or Manning.

Your arguments make sense. However, also consider the following:

1. The Jets can still get a wild card, even if Miami beats New England. I think it involves three other teams winning, another two losing and a total solar eclipse during the fourth quarter. ;)

2. Agreed, playoff teams have been dying in Green Bay for decades. However, of all the NFC teams, I believe the Eagles are the only one able to beat them there. The odds won't be in their favor, but currently, the Eagles are the most complete team in the NFC (offense, defense, special teams, coaching).

3. Manning played an absolutely perfect game against a team that had a complete let down on that day. He was not the same QB who played the 'skins or the Giants. Every team in today's league has a letdown or two.

4. Favre is a great QB, but he tends to take risks when rushed. The Eagles have the best pass rush in the league. Turnovers will be a factor if they play each other.

5. Since McNabb got hurt, the Eagles have been a different team. They are a lot more confident in themselves as a football team. Letdowns don't happen vs. division rivals, especially the Giants.

I'm not trying to change your mind. In any event, starting Saturday, the next month is going to provide some excellent football. Maybe even the paper champs will play a factor in the coming weeks.

My ideal scenario is Eagles-Giants in the NFC Championship Game, with McNabb and the Eagles at full strength. Revival of the NFC East and a lot of past ghosts can be exorcsized (or new ones made!).

Maybe next year the Redskins can join the fun and we can really return the NFC East to dominance.

My ideal scenario is Eagles-Giants in the NFC Championship Game

Never happen (OK, I just jinxed myself). Let's get off this Midget bandwagon. They beat THE COLTS...we all experienced how good they are :rolleyes:

How they (Colts) got to be 9-6 I'll never know.

Originally posted by Blazers21

Your arguments make sense. However, also consider the following:

1. The Jets can still get a wild card, even if Miami beats New England. I think it involves three other teams winning, another two losing and a total solar eclipse during the fourth quarter. ;)

2. Agreed, playoff teams have been dying in Green Bay for decades. However, of all the NFC teams, I believe the Eagles are the only one able to beat them there. The odds won't be in their favor, but currently, the Eagles are the most complete team in the NFC (offense, defense, special teams, coaching).

3. Manning played an absolutely perfect game against a team that had a complete let down on that day. He was not the same QB who played the 'skins or the Giants. Every team in today's league has a letdown or two.

4. Favre is a great QB, but he tends to take risks when rushed. The Eagles have the best pass rush in the league. Turnovers will be a factor if they play each other.

5. Since McNabb got hurt, the Eagles have been a different team. They are a lot more confident in themselves as a football team. Letdowns don't happen vs. division rivals, especially the Giants.

I'm not trying to change your mind. In any event, starting Saturday, the next month is going to provide some excellent football. Maybe even the paper champs will play a factor in the coming weeks.

My ideal scenario is Eagles-Giants in the NFC Championship Game, with McNabb and the Eagles at full strength. Revival of the NFC East and a lot of past ghosts can be exorcsized (or new ones made!).

Maybe next year the Redskins can join the fun and we can really return the NFC East to dominance.

Also remember, Favre is 0-5 all time at the Vet I believe, and typically does not fair well on the road in playoff games. I think they are the most capable of beating us, but I'd give the same odds of us winning going into Lambeau as them coming to the Vet.

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

I'd give the same odds of us winning going into Lambeau as them coming to the Vet.

EL,

I like our chance better at Lambeau than theirs at the Vet. The turf alone will have them worrying. Besides, Andy Reid knows how to win in GB. They'll get it done either way.

Beating the Giants this weekend gives the Eagles a great shot at the SB.

Originally posted by Blazers21

In general, 'Skins fans hate Eagles fans more than they hate Giants fans in my experience. If they only knew them better...

I've grown to dislike the Giants more recently over the past 4-5 years than even the.... gulp.. Cowboys. I dislike their fans, and their team. (In general). Unlike the Eagles-Skins or Eagles-'Boys, the Eagles-Giants is a real rivalry, and is probably the second biggest one in the East, next to Boys-Skins of course.

fansince62,

In that Giants/Skins game, the Giants had a lot of starters out with injuries. The Giants won because the backups played well. And if I'm not mistaken, Ramsey came in during the time the Giants were up by a couple of TD's. Manning and the Colts scored quickly while the Giants were laying back when they had a big lead. But hey, Ramsey is definitely going to be a very good QB for you guys and he may play like that against the Giants next year and many years to come which could be very annoying. I don't like the fact the Giants will not only face McNabb twice a year but Ramsey also and maybe Parcells. What a pain in the arse this could be.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I don't like the fact the Giants will not only face McNabb twice a year but Ramsey also and maybe Parcells. What a pain in the arse this could be.

It will make for some great games, though, Tom. Anything to bring excitement back into all NFC East games. The 'Skins-Giants games this year were almost unwatchable, as were the Eagles-Cowboys. The Eagles-Giants games are fun because they are now competitive again.

Archived