Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2007 Training Camp - Thoughts & Questions

armada58

It's right around the corner. We are a couple short weeks away from the start of the 2007 Training Camp. This annual event is something that is highly anticipated my most NFL Junkies & Die Hard Fans. Myself and most of the members of Extremeskins certainly fall into those categories.

Every year we approach this time with a list of questions such as.... How will so-and-so player be coming off of X-Y-Z injury? Will new addition, John Doe, fit in and mesh with the team? How good is rookie State-Your-Name going to be?? The purpose of this thread is not discuss the obvious questions covered at length in this forum about the upcoming season. (Then again, maybe what I will talk about has been covered at length already. If so, my bad.) Jason Campbell, The Defense, Year 2 of Al Saunders, etc, etc. Lets not worry about that here.

I want to discuss Training Camp itself. Personally, I think Gibbs is going to run a BRUTAL Training Camp. He is going to really work this team over. I believe that Gibbs feels that the 2006 Training Camp was far too easy and that the team was not ready to play at the start of the season. Gibbs saw the work and attendance in the 2006 Offseason and rewarded the players with a short and light Training Camp. The results of that were obvious and painful to endure.

Coming into this past offseason, Gibbs heard the complaints of veterans about the offseason workout program and conceded to allow them to workout on their own. He gave them freedom to do what they wanted and made the word "Voluntary" actually mean something.

Be careful what you wish for!! Because in Gibbs' mind I'm sure he was thinking, "Fine. You want to work out on your own, be my guest. But, you better be ready because your life in August will be no picnic."

There as reason that the practices open to the public are few. Gibbs is getting ready to put these guys through "Paris Island at Redskins Park". You know what..... I love it! I don't think there a chance in hell that the Dolphins will be facing a team ill prepared mentally and physically to start the season.

That was my "Thought". My question is this........ Will Portis get any carries in the preseason games? I think there is a possibility that Portis might just get what he asked for last year. Much like Ladanian Tomlinson, Portis may very well be in street clothes for every preseason game.

I am 100% sure that CP will be playing in preseason but I can promise you he will be doing NO BLOCKING!! If you see CP in the play I would bet he's going to be touching the ball. And his instructions from the staff will be something like "run forward, nothing fancy, and if you fumble let one of the practice team scrubs get it!"

wide receiver is the position to watch.

Santana Moss is the only 'given' on the roster at WR, and the team remains painfully thin despite the moves in the offseason to bolster depth at other spots.

The move to negotiate a contract with Keenan McCardell is a signal the team is looking for a proven veteran to bring in and provide some consistency.

Unless Lloyd or Randle El has an exceptional camp, I see the Redskins making a trade or looking over the wire for a veteran WR who may be released by another club.

That is the one move I see as very likely.

I take the Redskins more or less at their word that they are 'comfortable' with the players they have at most positions and don't anticipate many other roster moves.

We could see a move for DL depth given that back of the bench players like Ryan Boschetti, Jamaal Green, etc. don't seem capable of filling the void if the team gets hit with injuries during the season.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Jordan Palmer. The Redskins had few draft choices this year and really needed to make each one count.

While we had holes at safety, linebacker and tight end which the team did address with draft choices, one can make the argument that for 2007 Palmer was a luxury pick.

Campbell is the starter and it would appear that one of the veterans will be the #2. Then there is Bramlet fresh off his success in NFL Europe and Sam Hollenbach who appears like he can be a factor as well for the #3 spot.

Perhaps the Redskins should have waited until 2008 to address the issue of finding a developmental qb..........

The move to negotiate a contract with Keenan McCardell is a signal the team is looking for a proven veteran to bring in and provide some consistency.

I honestly think this was a ploy by the FO to give notice to the wide receiver core that their jobs are on the line this season. It seems to me that the Redskins are taking their youth a bit more seriously, especially with our commitment to developing picks like Golston. Knowing this, when I saw that we might be going after McCardell, I literally laughed. The guys is older than a couple head coaches in the league, and we have spent a lot of money to revitalize the receiver position. Remember, there are no quick fixes, and even if there were, McCardell isn't one.

With regards to the training camp, I agree that it will be a really tough one this year. The expectations, although different this year in the sense that we are looking to progress on last year's 5 - 11 record as opposed to 2005's 10 - 6 record, are still high. One thing I wonder about is how Gibbs responds to this adversity. He was essentially unquestioned in his first tenure as head coach, but now he must deal with an inconsistent ballclub, something I'm sure he had little experience with when we were winning SuperBowls.

I agree with the OP, that this will be one brutal training camp. Gibbs is going to hit them with lots of 2 a days. I hope for the players' sake that we dont get the kind of heat we had last year. I went to a couple of practices and the heat was awful. I drank 6 bottles of water and went later to get beers at a local spot, and never once had to take a leak I was so dehydrated.

Archived