Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Hail to the Redskins": A vital role in Dallas getting a team?

BigHerc

http://espn.go.com/page2/wash/s/toomay/020314.html

This is a story of how our beloved "Hail to the Redskins" played a vital role in Dallas landing a team in the NFL. It also shows how the Cowboys have always been a dirty team.

I do not know how lod this is, there is no date on the article, but a 'friend' who lives in Texas sent it to me yesterday. I tried a search and did not find this in a previous post. If I missed it and it was already posted, please forgive me.

yeah, it was the start. The Redskins are just as much at fault on that one, Marshall was just being an arrogant prick like how the Orioles owner was being when the Nats came to town. At least the Orioles had some reason to be worried, but Dallas was too far away to really matter for Marshall back then.

Still, F the cowboys!

Don't know if that article has been posted before, but it's certainly been discussed. That's the real start of the rivalry, but George Allen brought those feelings of hatred to the field and is often credited with starting the rivalry.

Hail,

H

Could not have said it any better!! Go George Allen!

GO SKINS

It's a shame those shenanigans don't happen any more in the No Fun League. I for one would love to see a team play in Cincinnati and bring a crate full of chickens wearing prison garb, and let 'em loose onto the field. :silly:

Marshall was the Bill Bidwill of his time. One reason was him being a racist ignoramus and not signing a black player until 1962, when other teams started integrating in 1947. Not coincidentally, the Skins were one of the WORST teams in the NFL from 1946-68.

I remember seeing an interview with Sammy Baugh, who had once asked Marshall when they were going to sign some black players. Marshall responded that the Skins would sign black players when the Harlemt Globetrotters signed some white players.

Marshall also didn't use scouts, and relied on a copy of Street & Smiths for scouting college players and signing them. He even drafted one player after that guy said he wasn't going to play in the NFL that year...and then drafted him AGAIN the next year despite that!!

And we thought Snydork was an ill-informed fantasy league owner!;)

Archived