Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI: Evaluating and ranking all the NFL owners

redskin-one

SI.COM

Michael Silver

5. Daniel Snyder, Redskins

If anything, Snyder tries too hard to build a winner. In January '06, when Snyder wooed former Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders with a three-year deal worth more than $2 million annually, it seemed like a great move on paper. Instead, Saunders' philosophy clashed with that of head coach Joe Gibbs, which was one reason the team fell from a playoff appearance in '05 to a 5-11 finish last season. Snyder's zealous mentality also enables Gibbs and VP of football operations Vinny Cerrato to overpay for free agents like Adam Archuleta, Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd, none of which helps the on-field product.

Click for full article

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment.

Yeah, a lot better then I expected from SI.

One question though, this guy implies that Snyder's desire to win allows those that he trusts to misspend the money, so wouldn't that make him not involved enough in the player acquisitions to say "wait a minute"? So I guess what he is saying is what most of the skins fans on here say is that we just need someone to real in the three kids when they get too excited.

I really like how they criticized the Patriots FO for the Branch fiasco. Bellicheck and Pioli got caught drinking their own kool-aid.

When I think of the AFC Championship game, all I see is Reche Caldwell's disgusting bug eyes. I've never seen anything like that.

Oh, and Jerry Jones is not a better owner than Snyder. Dan Snyder's teams have actually won playoff games in the 21st century.

Oh, and Jerry Jones is not a better owner than Snyder. Dan Snyder's teams have actually won playoff games in the 21st century.

I have given up on the JJ stuff. This guy is the exact type of person that Snyder gets accused of being but he never receives any criticism for it, blows my mind.

Can't say I'm a big Syder fan. He definitely capitalizes on the loyalty of Skins fans. But at least he is willing to pass on our money to try and improve the team, although the constant tinkering sabotages any chance at continuity, which is what this team needs right now.

It's hard for people to ignore the three ring difference between the two. Congrats on managing it though. :D

TheFan

I have given up on the JJ stuff. This guy is the exact type of person that Snyder gets accused of being but he never receives any criticism for it, blows my mind.

Far be it for me to defend a stinking Cowboy, but Jerry Jones was the butt of all jokes and routinely criticized by the media - until he shut them up with three Super Bowl wins.

If Danny's way translates into Super Bowl wins, they'll shut up.

Hail,

H

It's hard for people to ignore the three ring difference between the two. Congrats on managing it though. :D

TheFan

LOL. Jerry Jones hasn't won crap since the mid-90's. Anyone who gives JJ props for those rings logically has to blame him for their litany of failures in the subsequent years, up to and including not winning a playoff game since Clinton was President.

Nice to see Snyder get a good comment even if it is a bit back-handed.

In regards to Jones.... I think he does quite a bit behind the scenes in the NFL and I think he earns a great deal of respect there as well.:2cents: :logo:

Can't say I'm a big Syder fan. He definitely capitalizes on the loyalty of Skins fans. But at least he is willing to pass on our money to try and improve the team, although the constant tinkering sabotages any chance at continuity, which is what this team needs right now.

Sorry Trez, but he "capaltizes on the loyalty of Skins fans" is a bitter way of saying he is a good businessman with a working understanding of the concepts of demand and elasticity. I don't agree with many of his moves but one thing he does do well is make money.

The other thing that I do like about him is that the legitimately wants to win. This is the area where he needs improvement. Problem is he is too stubborn, impatient, and arrogant to listen to anyone giving him (football) advice. I do think he is trying to win, just not succeeding.

And yes there are similarities between Jerry Jones and DS. The only difference beting JJ has won. Both guys throw money around and meddle with the team with mostly good intentions towards the objective of winning. I'm not saying they don't care about money as much if not more than winning, but with egos that size, it's easy to see that these guys want it all. You can also add George Steinbrenner to this group and on occasion, our buddy to the north, Peter Angelos behaves this way as well.

"But hey, at least he's trying. Snyder will get it right eventually, if only because he won't settle for anything less -- a quality far too owners possess."

nice remark about a man who is generally skewered in the media.

SI.COM

Michael Silver

5. Daniel Snyder, Redskins

If anything, Snyder tries too hard to build a winner. In January '06, when Snyder wooed former Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders with a three-year deal worth more than $2 million annually, it seemed like a great move on paper. Instead, Saunders' philosophy clashed with that of head coach Joe Gibbs, which was one reason the team fell from a playoff appearance in '05 to a 5-11 finish last season. Snyder's zealous mentality also enables Gibbs and VP of football operations Vinny Cerrato to overpay for free agents like Adam Archuleta, Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd, none of which helps the on-field product.

Click for full article

I thought it was a pretty fair assessment.

#5. I'm shocked that he's even ranked that high!

And as much as I hate the cowgirls, Jerry Jones being #2 doesn't surprise me. Winning 3 SB rings right out the gate is tough to ignore.

LOL. Jerry Jones hasn't won crap since the mid-90's. Anyone who gives JJ props for those rings logically has to blame him for their litany of failures in the subsequent years, up to and including not winning a playoff game since Clinton was President.

Since Jones got the last ring only 8 teams have won SB rings. SB wins are the ones that matter most and 24 teams have worse streaks than his as far as that goes.

As far as "litany of failures go", the only team in the NFC East has room to brag over that the past few years has been the Eagles. Atleast they were knocking at the door, even if they couldn't kick it in.

TheFan

Since Jones got the last ring only 8 teams have won SB rings. SB wins are the ones that matter most and 24 teams have worse streaks than his as far as that goes.

As far as "litany of failures go", the only team in the NFC East has room to brag over that the past few years has been the Eagles. Atleast they were knocking at the door, even if they couldn't kick it in.

TheFan

Those 3 rings are still BEFORE Dan Snyder was even on the radar for Skins ownership.

In a head to head comparison since BOTH have been NFL owners, Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are about even, JJ's teams have beaten Snyder more in regular season matchups, but Snyder has achieved playoff victories. JJ is not better.

Those 3 rings are still BEFORE Dan Snyder was even on the radar for Skins ownership.

In a head to head comparison since BOTH have been NFL owners, Dan Snyder and Jerry Jones are about even, JJ's teams have beaten Snyder more in regular season matchups, but Snyder has achieved playoff victories. JJ is not better.

Whatever makes you feel good.:laugh:

TheFan

Far be it for me to defend a stinking Cowboy, but Jerry Jones was the butt of all jokes and routinely criticized by the media - until he shut them up with three Super Bowl wins.

If Danny's way translates into Super Bowl wins, they'll shut up.

Hail,

H

I thought that was 90% Jimmy Johnson's doing, then when he was getting the credit for the two wins Jerry straight ran him out of town. That is what I thought that happened. Anyways Barry Whatever came in with Jimmy's team and won another.

But I could be wrong.

Who said he did? 3 rings in the 90's. Owners were being compared, JJ - 3 and DS - 0.

TheFan

You implied it when you responded to:

with:

TheFan

I thought that was 90% Jimmy Johnson's doing, then when he was getting the credit for the two wins Jerry straight ran him out of town. That is what I thought that happened. Anyways Barry Whatever came in with Jimmy's team and won another.

But I could be wrong.

Hiring Jimmy was 100% Jerry's doing.

TheFan

Archived