Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

♦HELP! Or♦♦ I will end u♦p crus♦hing my computer

twenty-eight

I've been planning to get an external drive for my music for a while now. Thats what i get for being so lazy

Buy a new HDD for your current computer, get an external enclosure for your old HDD, remove the old, put Windows on the new, stick the old one in the enclosure, copy your music to the new drive, format the old drive and use it as backup for your music.

Kills two birds with one stone... no more virus and you have an external hard drive. :2cents:

Buy a new HDD for your current computer, get an external enclosure for your old HDD, remove the old, put Windows on the new, stick the old one in the enclosure, copy your music to the new drive, format the old drive and use it as backup for your music.

Kills two birds with one stone... no more virus and you have an external hard drive. :2cents:

:thud:

:confused: I just might rather waste the money on a new comp

The system restore should work though, right? I just gotta make sure I dont **** up again

:thud:

:confused: I just might rather waste the money on a new comp

:laugh: It's a lot simpler and cheaper than it sounds ($20-50 for the enclosure, $50-$150 for the drive). If you want a new PC, go ahead and do it. I still say that you get the enclosure, though.

The system restore should work though, right? I just gotta make sure I dont **** up again

System restore is not exactly the godsend it was meant to be. 9 times out of 10 its useless.

If you didn't get them in MS Word it sounds a lot like a problem specific to the browser.

Does your browser start up with a different home page or try to go to a certain web page that you didn't specify?

Samething with IE. No it doesnt. It just keeps heading back and back, eventually back to my homepage. The only way i can get anywhere is if i open it in a new tab....simply because he cant take me backwards

:laugh: It's a lot simpler and cheaper than it sounds ($20-50 for the enclosure, $50-$150 for the drive). If you want a new PC, go ahead and do it. I still say that you get the enclosure, though.

System restore is not exactly the godsend it was meant to be. 9 times out of 10 its useless.

That doesnt sound too bad

9 out of 10?! :doh:

:fingersx:

What about the hardboot? Might that work? How do i do that? Or was that just a joke....I'd love to give this piece of **** a hard boot

Might be time to just give up and go to plan B (aka buy new ****). Although, there's also a plan X (aka hire some mother****er to fix it for you) if you're willing to take the risk.

Ok. A couple more things to try. This assumes XP. First. go start run and type MSCONFIG. Click on the Services tab and check the box to hide all MS services and click Disable All. Click on the startup tab and select to disable all. click ok and reboot. See if problem persists. If it does not, selectively re-enable items until you identify the culprit. If it still occurs, reboot and press F8 just as the POST ends and just before Windows starts. This should give you the option to boot to safemode. Select safemode with networking and test again. Let me know the results.

Ok. A couple more things to try. This assumes XP. First. go start run and type MSCONFIG. Click on the Services tab and check the box to hide all MS services and click Disable All. Click on the startup tab and select to disable all. click ok and reboot. See if problem persists. If it does not, selectively re-enable items until you identify the culprit. If it still occurs, reboot and press F8 just as the POST ends and just before Windows starts. This should give you the option to boot to safemode. Select safemode with networking and test again. Let me know the results.

Thanks. I'm running stinger right now....Found a virus called "W2/Sobig.F@MM" I dont know if thats what is causing the problem.

After this thing is done running and I'll give what you suggested a try. Thanks again:cheers:

Thanks. I'm running stinger right now....Found a virus called "W2/Sobig.F@MM" I dont know if thats what is causing the problem.

After this thing is done running and I'll give what you suggested a try. Thanks again:cheers:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2003-081909-2118-99

That needs to be removed, but shouldn't be the cause.

Download Hi-Jack this and show us/me the log. If theres some isht you want to keep to yourself, feel free to PM me the resulting log contents.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Archived