Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Justin Scaggs..Can't we find a place for him?

jimster

Justin Scaggs is finally on the active roster, but we aren't using him. He's one of the fastest, if not the fastest guy on the team and has a great work ethic. I would love to see Spurrier work with him in the off-season programs and take advantage of his talent and loyalty. --If nothing else, we need speed on special teams.

The guy's problem is that he's probably the rawest pure athlete the Skins have ever had on their roster. Even looking at his college career in Evangel, he didn't settle on one position to learn its intricacies. And how much quality coaching do you think he even had at Evangel???

Skaggs's best approach should be to find an offseason trainer to work on refining his route running and quicks. As Art mentioned in an earlier thread, there is a big difference between pure straight line speed and on-field quickness. I'd be willing to bet that Skaggs is far from being able to create space against a DB with 4.4-4.5 speed, which is why he's been limited to special teams duty at best.

this team has been very slow to get its younger players out on the field.

it took weeks to see Betts at all. it took weeks to see McCants and Ohalete. it took an injury to see Ramsey again before the last game of the season.

only recently have Andre Lott and some other backbenchers gotten a chance to play.

especially frustrating as the veterans largely underperformed and lead us to a sorrowful record under .500.

In my mind this season was all but shot after the Giants game BEFORE Dallas, but someone forgot to tell the Redskins braintrust.

They were still holding out for the mega miracle to happen, you know that .000005% chance of making the playoffs at 5-7 or 5-8 :laugh:

Skaggs should get on the field. our return game has been less than spectacular.

Betts was our best returner on kicks but is now the starting tailback, so I would definitely like to see Skaggs.

We know what Watson can do already. We aren't learning anything by continuing to use him back there, although he has been solid lately.

On punts, I think we could give him a look as well, although that may have been tried in minicamp or over the summer and perhaps he just didn't field the ball well as a PR.

some can and some can't do double duty.

why the Redskins didn't pick up Allen Rossum a couple of weeks ago for the balance of the season is a mystery to me.

He has experience and took a kick back last week for a TD.

but then again didn't Spurrier admit that Ramsey twice this season has come out and surprised him and staff regarding how well he performed on the field? :)

some guys are just gamers. you can't teach that.

Barry Sanders was an awful practice player. He walked through practice but did some amazing things in games.

I agree that Skaggs may be more limited than we think based on his history and what we have seen from other raw youngsters such as McCants and Thompson.

But that's the price of being way under .500. You have to continue to go through younger players to find the diamonds in the rough.

Remember how many players came in and out of Dallas in 1989 and 1990 before Johnson had his core of guys set?

Remember how many players Bill Walsh went through in 1979 in San Francisco when the 49ers went 2-14?

That's the way you find the Dwight Hicks or Tony Tolbert that comes in and ultimately becomes a pro bowler :)

Originally posted by The Angry Buddha

The guy's problem is that he's probably the rawest pure athlete the Skins have ever had on their roster. Even looking at his college career in Evangel, he didn't settle on one position to learn its intricacies. And how much quality coaching do you think he even had at Evangel???

Skaggs's best approach should be to find an offseason trainer to work on refining his route running and quicks. As Art mentioned in an earlier thread, there is a big difference between pure straight line speed and on-field quickness. I'd be willing to bet that Skaggs is far from being able to create space against a DB with 4.4-4.5 speed, which is why he's been limited to special teams duty at best.

Not much to argue with there. I heard that route-running was the biggest thing holding Skaggs back in pre-season (this is from local Redskins writers). I imagine Evangel probably played the "you run and and I'll hit you" offense, so this is a big change for him. Skaggs also didn't become a WR until, I believe, his 2nd or 3rd year in college, after he got injured playing Safety.

He's a project WR, point blank. A project that I WISH we would keep around and work on, but I don't know if it will happen.

I've got a buddy going to the game this week and I left specific instructions for his group to start up the "We Want Skaggs" chant. I said I want it to be like Rudy. We'll see. :)

(and put the man back there as the 2nd guy on KRs, since Betts or Watson will be the starting RB!!!!)

I'm sorry I don't see him breaking any returns like Dante Hall on KC. Also, they don't seem to look outside for any holes in the wedge, it's lower your head, run up the middle and hope for the best! I can have a 25 yard avg. running up the middle. Just my opinion!

Originally posted by Brown 43

I'm sorry I don't see him breaking any returns like Dante Hall on KC. Also, they don't seem to look outside for any holes in the wedge, it's lower your head, run up the middle and hope for the best! I can have a 25 yard avg. running up the middle. Just my opinion!

Thank you, Mr. Snyder.

Now it's time to give the keyboard back to Vinny and go shopping for a small island nation.

I think we ought to give him a shot at PR. Champ's a great runner, but he's dropping too many back there. I'd rather have a tough guy who'll catch them all. Not sure what he can do once he gets the ball, but we need a change here so why not see what he can do?

:pint:

You are right Trevor, we are wasting our time with Skaggs, he needs at shot at returns not just coverage. Why not give him a few chances before we ship him out to be a great replacement to Brian Mitchell in Philly, or so it seems thats what happens to our ex players:doh:

I've been to the past two camps at Carlisle and I saw plenty of Skaggs. He had a better showing under Marty, to be honest. This year he was muffing punts frequently.

I don't think he'll do much, but I don't see the point of stashing guys on the practice squad or roster and never seeing what they have on the field. Give him a chance and if he doesn't show something, cut him.

Archived