Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GM time

redbob

We do need a GM in the worse way. How many NFL organizations run well without a true GM?? D.Snyder should realize that he's not a football expert and neither is his sidekick. The fact is we have dumb and dumber making personnel decisions and they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the first 2 letters. Spurrier has more clout than we realize and he should exercise it. Think about it-- he tells snyder he wants/demands more input on personnel and wants to be the tie breaker if there is disagreement. If he doesn't get it he will walk. What is danny boy going to do?? Fire him and look for another coach.

I,m tired of this s*** ! I want someone other than DS/VC to take control of the personnel moves and if they won't hire a GM then SOS has to make a statement. I agree with many of the things that other posters have said regarding the hiring of a GM but I don't think it's going to happen because DS is a power hungry jerk.

On another subject. Do we gain any compensatory draft picks for the free agent losses from this year? I believe the NFL awards extra picks to teams if they lose free agents but I'm not 100% certain.

We need a GM to counterbalance both Snyder and Spurrier.

Snyder has a fantasy-football mentality. He's just trying to acquire the biggest "name" players at glamorous positions. Spurrier, on the other hand, is running some kind of halfway house for ex-Gators.

We need a strong GM to say to Danny, "We need to stock this team with performers at the critical but less-spectacular positions like OG, S, TE, and DT." We need a strong GM to say to Steve, "We're gonna cut every ex-Gator and sign people who can actually play."

Unfortunately, any GM we sign has to play by Danny's rules, which means he'll never hire one with the balls to tell him to sit down and shut up. Cerrato is the worst possible pseudo-GM for this franchise, because he's Danny's lap dog. Can anyone tell me ONE good move Cerrato has made? The front office really scares me, because our totally inept performance this year means that we have a real opportunity in the draft next year. I'm afraid these guys are gonna blow it.

Cerrato certainly should get credit for moving up to take Samuels early so he wouldn't get overcharged for such a bold stroke. I suppose you could argue that taking picks 2 and 3 are no-brainers, but, picks 1 and 4 have done nothing, so, it may be more brainy than we like to think.

Cerrato had a heavy hand in this draft as well as we went with a lot of "HIS" guys. Betts, Royal and Lott, in particular, are guys he scouted closely and heavily. Whether that's good or bad I can't really say yet.

Did you guys listen to Spurrier's show tonite? He talked about being more involved in running the Washington Redskins, said they have some plans that they will announce in two weeks when the season ends and when asked whose is the final desk that personel decisions stop at said that it was a good question that they needed to get answered.

All that suggests to me that either they have plans to make his the final desk or that they are going to get a GM that he is comfortable with (Wolf, Ruskell?). I know I'm more anxious to find out what the plan is than anything else to do with the Skins in 2002.

complicating things is the fact Snyder believes he gave Marty a free hand and it ended up blowing up in his face, so he is going to be very resistant to giving up control over personnel.

what he has to understand is that Schottenheimer was not an experienced GM and made mistakes that others might not make.

he was on the right track when he was negotiating to bring Beathard back but then all of a sudden everything changed and we ended up with the Mendes/Cerrato two-headed hydra instead.

for a guy whose forte is supposed to be college scouting, Cerrato didn't do much after the Samuels pick in the 2000 draft.

On another subject. Do we gain any compensatory draft picks for the free agent losses from this year? I believe the NFL awards extra picks to teams if they lose free agents but I'm not 100% certain.

This comes up every year. I suggest that the answers for this topic be saved somewhere on the site o these questions can be directed to the answers. Say a "NFL rulebook section" if you will.

The compensatory picks depend upon the number of free agents lost versus the free agents signed. That does not include cut players. Say Davis gets cut; he does not count for compensatory purposes.

Also, the quality of the free agent lost/signed counts. A Jon Janson lost versus losing a David Loverne for example. Janson might give a 4th round in compensation while a Loverne type, if lost might give a 7th.

The formula for comp picks is base on the free agent period for the previous year. so you need to sit down figure up who was lost in free agency last year, then figure up who was signed such as J. Green, Trotter, Doering, ........

If you have more losses than gains, you get a comp pick. No more than 4 comp picks are awarded. And no comp pick is geater than a 2cd. (You'd have to lose a Farve to get a second.) Most comp picks are 5th round or later.

Originally posted by DeathByLinebacker

Did you guys listen to Spurrier's show tonite? He talked about being more involved in running the Washington Redskins, said they have some plans that they will announce in two weeks when the season ends and when asked whose is the final desk that personel decisions stop at said that it was a good question that they needed to get answered.

All that suggests to me that either they have plans to make his the final desk or that they are going to get a GM that he is comfortable with (Wolf, Ruskell?). I know I'm more anxious to find out what the plan is than anything else to do with the Skins in 2002.

What concerns me about this is that the Skins would unlikely be able to hire Ruskell in two weeks, as that would probably constitute tampering. Hopefully they have a real, substantive change in mind, rather than just a rearranging of furniture.

Is it such a BAD idea to consider Spurrier as head coach/GM??? I know it failed with Marty Chokenheimer and it seems to be flushing Mike Holmgren's career down the toilet. But Spurrier is a guy fresh out of the college ranks with extensive hands-on experience evaluating talent through the recruiting process-- something Marty and Holmgren did not possess. He seems most impressed by intelligent, gutsy, overachieving athletes rather than the showboating playmakers favored by FSU and Miami, which tells me he wouldn't be playing fantasy football and screwing up our cap. He also has proven that he's not afraid to axe Gators, so I doubt very seriously we'll see another influx of his former players next offseason.

I'm not saying this is the direction the team should go in, but the concept does have merit. Put Mendes at his side to handle the cap, send Cerrato out mining colleges for prospects, and have Snyder admiring from a distance with checkbook in hand. I might be able to live with that.

Archived