Will she sing or stonewall?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will she sing or stonewall?

• Sing
    • Stonewall

By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/10181432

Finally, the fans and media expect big things from this year's first-day draft picks, but keep in mind a good season will be to hit the average the previous 28 first-day draftees achieved in their rookie seasons. Keep this guideline with you before you start believing these young defensive tackles down in the trenches are headed towards being a bust -- start 30 percent of the games, be active for 75 percent of the games, be in on 19-20 tackles, grab one or two sacks, defend one pass and either force or recover one fumble. That's a solid rookie season at defensive tackle.

An interesting article, the very end is the part that intrigued me the most. It provides insight into a perceived position of weakness on our team. Im just hoping that going into their respective 2nd years messrs Montgomery and Golston come into their own this year.

Plus its a nice distraction from all the dog fighting talk.

Golston, i know, was pretty highly rated. he like Blades, slipped for one reason or another, (I think perceived injury issues). the kid has a great motor. if Montgomery, is at least a decent/good 2 gap tackle. We will have solved out inside dline issues for a while

I like how even by his rather mediocre stats qualifications for a good rookie defensive tackle, Broderick Bunkley is still a huge bust.

And yet if you ask an Eagles fan he is one of the reason they will give for having the best D-LINE in the league.

So how did Kedric Golston do against the stated criteria:

1. Start 30 per cent of games - Golston started 81% (13/16)

2. Be active for 75 per cent - Golston was active 100%

3. Be in on 19-20 tackles - Golston was in on 44 tackles

4. Grab 1 or 2 sacks - Golston was credited with 1/2 sack

5. Defend 1 pass - Golston was credited with 3 passes defensed

6. Force or recover 1 fumble - Golston was credited with no forced or recovered fumbles

I'd say Golston well exceeded expectations for a rookie DT, especially one drafted low in the 6th round

So how did Kedric Golston do against the stated criteria:

1. Start 30 per cent of games - Golston started 81% (13/16)

2. Be active for 75 per cent - Golston was active 100%

3. Be in on 19-20 tackles - Golston was in on 44 tackles

4. Grab 1 or 2 sacks - Golston was credited with 1/2 sack

5. Defend 1 pass - Golston was credited with 3 passes defensed

6. Force or recover 1 fumble - Golston was credited with no forced or recovered fumbles

I'd say Golston well exceeded expectations for a rookie DT, especially one drafted low in the 6th round

He recovered a fumble against Houston in week 3.

Archived