Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Extremeskins Animal Rights

Luca Brasi

It's refreshing to see all of the animal rights activists coming out of the woodwork with Portis' recent comments. Clearly you discourage the unjust treatment of animals, as you should. You are disappointed and even angered that Clinton, in an effort to support a friend and fellow NFL player, would make a couple of comments that almost seem to condone the behavior that Michael Vick may or may not have been directly involoved with.

My only question is, where were you guys when Jon Jansen, Mark Brunnel, Patrick Ramsey, and a few others openly discussed hunting deer during the offseason? Obviously if you're opposed to dog fighting, which actually rarely results in a dog's death, you surely are opposed to shooting and killing a defenseless animal with a rifle or an arrow.

Yes, one is legal and one is not, but if your concern lies with the treatment of animals, you would be outraged by both. But for some reason I never read a single thread, post, or comment about the good ole boys killing deer and whatever else they hunted during the offseason.

Portis shouldn't have said what he did, and he knows that now. But maybe we need to take a step back and think beyond the press quotes before judging one of our most beloved players.

I think it's a false correlation. Man has wiped out most of deer's natural predators in the US. Deer hunting is allowed and regulated to prevent overpopulation as well as depopulation. Same goes for Bear Hunting here in NJ. Comparing the tolerance of hunting with the tolerance of people enjoying watching deliberate cruelty towards other animals is not the same, at least not in my eyes.

Archived