Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pax River?

forbeskin

Looking to transfer somewhere new. Looking into Pax River, what are some of the goods and bads of the area? How's real estate? Any decent camping in the area, how long of a drive to fed ex? I'm in Kuwait right now, so any place would be better than this! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I work there. Real Estate is not cheap around here like it used to be.

Its about an hour or so from Fed Ex field.

Lexington Park is the highest crime area in the county.

I don't think there is much in the way of camping, plus because we are close to the Bay, the bugs are nasty. I hate biting gnats.

Otherwise its a good place to live.:)

I just moved to California two weeks ago from PG county. I love it down in st marys. Great fishing very quite. As far as the real estate its cheaper then the surrounding counties. Lexington Park is bad but it does not compare to the crime in PG. I would love to meet you guys. You can chill at my crib and peep some games.

The real estate market is a buyer's market now. You could do pretty well buying a home here.

Zguy is right, Lexington Park is a toilet, and overall, most of St. Mary's county is too crowded for me since they've built it up.

There's still plenty of open space there, but in my mind, they developed too quickly for infrastructure to catch up.

FedEx field is about an hour and a half from the base.

There's camping around in St Mary's, especially down towards Point Lookout, and there's also plenty of campgrounds within an hour's drive. It's a boater's paradise, and the fishing is great.

~Bang

What do you have in mind when you say attractions? Bang mentioned the boating, fishing and camping. For some people that's an attraction, for others not so much. There really isn't any night life that I'm aware of, but then that isn't an attraction for me. There's a theater in Lexington Park (my wife got the lead role in one of the plays they put on, a couple of years ago). Other than that, there are the usual big box retail stores and such. Oh, and there's Bert's 50's Diner, gotta give a plug to that place. We try to eat there a couple of times a month.

Thanks, so stay away from Lexington Park, got it. Where are the nice areas as far as home buying? How is the commute, traffic bad? Schools for kids? Is it a nice area to raise a family? I'm not looking for a place with a night life, don't really care for that anymore. Just looking for a good spot to hang out with my family.

Thanks again!

There are plenty of nice areas for raising kids. South of the base is much more rural than north, quiet down there, and since it's all a peninsula, water is always part of the locale.

Traffic can be very heavy, but at least you're getting here after they've completed most of the road widening. A LOT of people have moved here in the last decade.. a LOT. It is very crowded for as rural as it is.

There are nice parks, Point Lookout is an historic landmark, altho it is a very dubious one. It was used as a prison hospital by the north in the Civil war,, more confederate soldiers died there than any other single place in the war. SO,,, there's lots of good ghost stories to go along with the history.. plenty of hauntings down that way.

Speaking of haunted houses, Sotterly Mansion is in St. Marys and is also full of ghosts, supposedly,, nice place, historically preserved, and haunted.

Southern Calvert county also has nice areas to live, although I'd steer clear of the Chesapeake Ranch estates.. sounds nce, but is WAY overcrowded for my tastes.

Calvert Cliffs state Park has nice nature trails.

Washington DC is only an hour and a hlf away, and of course, there's just tons of museums and attractions there. Annapolis is also only an hour and a half away, and is full of great shopping and restaurants. Baltimore is ALSO only about an hour and a half away.

Six Flags America is close to DC, about an hour from Lexington Park... King's Dominion is another theme amusement park about an hour to the south..

the movie theatre sucks ass. Note I mention only ONE because that is all there IS. (One of the long-sitting St Marys county commissioners is the owner, and will not allow another theatre to be built. The screens in that dump are 40 yrs old and so grimy you can barely see the movie, I won't go there. It's a waste of money.) It IS a good-ol-boy network down here when it comes to that sort of stuff. For as much building and developing as has gone on over the last ten years, the commissions of both St Marys and Calvert are run by locals who have lived here their whole lives, and still live under the notion that it's still like it was back in the old sleepy farmers days..

Lots of farmer's markets around, lots of antique / junk dealers to go with them.

There's always festivals and fairs,, the Oyster Festival is my favorite down in St. Marys.. delicious.

Solomons Island is nice, but small,, a few nice restaurants, and a few that think because they're on the water, they can hand you a plate of Mrs Pauls and tell you it's a 25 dollar plate of seafood. the Marine Museum is nifty for a few minutes, but they do manage to attract some halfway decent family type acts to play their stage,,, for example, in a few weeks the Doobie Brothers will play here, and last year we had Bill Cosby and Crosby Stills and Nash.. (Expensive tickets tho,, luckily they're outside and one can hear without paying if one wants to.)

~Bang

There are plenty of nice areas for raising kids. South of the base is much more rural than north, quiet down there, and since it's all a peninsula, water is always part of the locale.

Traffic can be very heavy, but at least you're getting here after they've completed most of the road widening. A LOT of people have moved here in the last decade.. a LOT. It is very crowded for as rural as it is.

~Bang

That's because NAVAIR moved its HQ down to PAX. And more are moving here soon.

Unfortunately PAX NAS sits right in the middle of Lexington Park. But there are lots of nice outlying neighborhoods being built.

That's because NAVAIR moved its HQ down to PAX. And more are moving here soon.

Unfortunately PAX NAS sits right in the middle of Lexington Park. But there are lots of nice outlying neighborhoods being built.

Yep, and word i hear is there will be another good sized growth spurt in the next few years,, which is why I'm fixing my house up now... next time the market goes up, I'm selling and am outta here.

~Bang

Yep, and word i hear is there will be another good sized growth spurt in the next few years,, which is why I'm fixing my house up now... next time the market goes up, I'm selling and am outta here.

~Bang

Same here bro. I'm staying for a few years then I'm out.

Thanks for the replies! I'll do some homework real estate wise now. Navair is probably where I'll try and transfer too. I've been to so many places, but haven't quite found the spot where we want to actually settle down. Pax doesn't sound bad cause I can do sea and shore duty there as well and it isn't Norfolk, San Diego, and I'm close to actually go to a skins game, that's got to be a plus there!

~Bang

Yep. I bought my house for 150K. Its worth over 300K now. I will be moving in two years to Kentucky. It will pay my tuition and make anice downpayment. :)

Awesome. Do you do engineering research? I need to get some contacts in the Navy. I haven't had a Navy SBIR in 15 years (it was pax river too). Just tried to get a pulse detonation contract with them (not pax) but they didn't select us. I really wanted to do that research. It would have been pretty easy for us to do. Oh well, maybe next go round.

The Hollywood area is great to for living, you're just outside the chaos of traffic and roads....essentially everything from the Outback Steakhouse light and on north is golden. Anything south of the Wildewood area is pretty crazy, but there are some good areas, such as Town Creek and/or Barefoot Acres, which is on the road that leads past and behind the Kmart Shopping Center.

Plus if you manage to end up in Hollywood, you'll have some pretty good schools for your kids. Hollywood Elementary, Esperanza Middle, Leonardtown Middle and High. I'm not sure on Esperanza now, if any redistricting has been done since I went there. I live in California now, right off Rt. 4, near the bridge...but I grew up down Clarkes Landing Rd. in Hollywood for a few years (highly recommended area).

Archived