Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All-Time Undrafted NFL Team

Dan T.

what no Tony Promo?

:laugh:

Good thing we're stocked at quarterback, otherwise we would have to consider Tony Romo sits to pee, who went undrafted out of Eastern Illinois then was signed by Dallas as an undrafted rookie free agent.

Really, we're already so stacked at QB we left Romo sits to pee off with a clear conscience. He would be SEVENTH string on this team, behind Moon, Hart, Krieg, Warner, Garcia, Delhomme. . .

We could put him as first string holder, but he doesn't deserve that either. :laugh:

It's intriguing seeing all the undrafted players from older eras (Motley, Night Train, etc.) who are/were African American, & hall-of-fame players. It reminds me of the fact that race bias was a huge part of choosing players in earlier eras (esp. Motley & Moon).

It's inescapable to me how you can see the physical gifts, intelligence & craftiness that these players possessed & yet not draft them because they were black.

(I guess other members of this ES board can quickly "educate" me on just how possible it is--even today)

My Cowboys' bias was showing in excluding Tony Romo sits to pee from the roster. I've included him as the 7th quarterback.

Looking at the list, it's interesting to see clusters of really good players - Pro Bowl caliber players - at 2 positions - quarterback and at safety.

Other stacked positions include center, running back, and wide receiver.

Bo Jackson

:doh:

Bo Jackson was actually drafted TWICE. The Bucs chose him first overall in the 1986 draft, but he decided to play baseball instead. His name went back into the pool, and the Raiders chose him in the 7th round of the 1987 draft.

Does Romo sits to pee really need to be on there? he hasn't even played a full season yet. Besides being that far down in the depth chart, wouldnt there be a chance he would have to hold on field goal attempts? that would be bad news.

Probably not, but it is fairly remarkable that, in this day and age, an undrafted quarterback is the unquestioned starter of an NFL franchise. Let's leave him on for now. Unless you can come up with another quarterback to bump him!

Jimmy Smith, WR Jacksonville

Andre Reed, WR Buffalo

Jimmy Smith was drafted by Dallas in 1992 on the second day of the draft.

Andre Reed was drafted by Buffalo in 1985 on the second day with the 86th pick.

No offense, but maybe you should do a little research next time.

Fixed, thanks. Seemed too good to be true. . .

It would have been great for the list if it was true, but as you said, it was too good to be true.

On another note, I am glad to see how much effort everyone is putting into this thread though. That is really cool.

It would have been great for the list if it was true, but as you said, it was too good to be true.

On another note, I am glad to see how much effort everyone is putting into this thread though. That is really cool.

It's been an eye-opening exericse for me. It does show that the NFL draft isn't always the "be-all and end-all". That lineup is pretty strong. I wonder if we're missing some defensive lineman, though. We're a little thin there. . .

It's been an eye-opening excericse for me. It does show that the NFL draft isn't always the "be-all and end-all". That lineup is pretty strong. I wonder if we're missing some defensive lineman, though. We're a little thin there. . .

OK, how about:

Sam Rayburn DT Eagles

James Hall DE Detroit Lions

John Randle DT Vikings

OK, how about:

Sam Rayburn DT Eagles

James Hall DE Detroit Lions

John Randle DT Vikings

Randle's a gem - starter. Hall's had a steady, long career so he gets in. Rayburn seems borderline, but he had a decent year in '04 with 6 sacks, so I included him. . .

Good pulls!

I bet that team could win a Superbowl.

I wonder if these guys, in general, have a different attitude and mind set in how they approach the game - the notion that because they were passed over they have something to prove. They probably had to bust ass in training camps to stand out and prove they belong, and that fierceness and drive carries over in how they approach the game overall. Imagine a whole TEAM with that same hungry attitude.

I think we've seen that with James Thrash with the Redskins, who's often described as one of the hardest workers on the team. Which reminds me, I'm going to add him to the list. He's carved out a pretty decent, longer-than-average NFL career as a special teams ace, return man, and spot receiver.

Archived