Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs NASCAR Team

TGibson810

Dale Jr. would be a great pick up. I don't know where you newbies to Nascar are getting this "overrated" crap from. Are you still stuck in 2005 or something? Did you not watch nascar any year besides 2005? He's 12th in the standings right now and he finished 5th last season. He had an awful season in 2005 when he finished 19th, but in 2004 he finished 5th and in 2003 he finished 3rd.

With Tony Stewart 7th in the standings and Denny Hamlin 4th in the standings, I think picking up Dale Jr. could only improve Joe Gibbs Racing.

I think he's a bit overrated because he doesn't win consistently. Sorry, sir. But to be the most popular driver and most marketable, you would think the guy could win a few more races. He's also overrated in a sense because he probably isn't even one of the 5 best drivers out there.

As has been stated..#8 belongs to DEI.

Jr has his own team and wants to keep it small, so he will not bring his busch team to Nextel.

Jr, Stewart and Hamlin are all good freinds, and would be a sick team.

However, I said it last year and I'll say it again...Jr will be driving the #3...it was never retired, Childress stated from the start it is Jr's car if he wants it, and only an Earnhardt will drive that car. Thats where he will land....Childress driving the 3...probably a Budweiser #3.

As for him being overrated...completely disagree. he has grown ALOT withink the last year, and it shows in his patience and his driving strategy. With a new team, he will win.

Sorry, I disagree. That would be the biggest mistake he could make, drivng the #3 car.

I think he's a bit overrated because he doesn't win consistently. Sorry, sir. But to be the most popular driver and most marketable, you would think the guy could win a few more races. He's also overrated in a sense because he probably isn't even one of the 5 best drivers out there.

No need to apologize to me because I think you're flat-out wrong. You're not so much wrong factually, but you missed the point by miles.

Popularity doesn't necessarily come from being #1 in the standings, in fact I believe winning all the time hinders popularity. Nobody likes a guy who always wins. And win CONSISTENTLY? The guy is popular, but he ain't Jesus. Tony Stewart hasn't won a race all season either but to say he's not a great driver is a huge delusion.

Also, not one of the top 5 drivers? How about finishing in the top 5 in 3 out of the last 4 seasons? Does that not count for anything?

I guess to you, probably not.

To be honest, I'm not really a Dale Jr. fan. It's not that I don't like him, I don't feel one way or the other about him. I'm a Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin, and Mark Martin kind of guy. But I know a great driver when I see one, and Dale Jr. is a great driver.

Sorry, I disagree. That would be the biggest mistake he could make, drivng the #3 car.

How so?

Do you realize how many fans are going to buy #3 merchandise and root for Dale Jr. if he picks up his dad's car? The marketing possibilities are ENORMOUS. You get the usual Dale Jr. fans (already a big crowd) and you throw in just about every guy who's nostalgic for Dale Sr... I'm sorry I still don't see how this would be the "biggest mistake he could make".

Now at this point this is all speculation, so I can't tell you that you're wrong. But if he does join Childress and drives his dad's car, I have a very strong feeling he'll benefit.

How so?

Do you realize how many fans are going to buy #3 merchandise and root for Dale Jr. if he picks up his dad's car? The marketing possibilities are ENORMOUS. You get the usual Dale Jr. fans (already a big crowd) and you throw in just about every guy who's nostalgic for Dale Sr... I'm sorry I still don't see how this would be the "biggest mistake he could make".

Now at this point this is all speculation, so I can't tell you that you're wrong. But if he does join Childress and drives his dad's car, I have a very strong feeling he'll benefit.

The only reason why it would be a mistake is the pressure associated with driving the #3 car. People are going to see that car and expect JR to dominate as his did did. Which will flat out not happen. The competition is too close not to mention the cars now are nearly identical.

No need to apologize to me because I think you're flat-out wrong. You're not so much wrong factually, but you missed the point by miles.

Popularity doesn't necessarily come from being #1 in the standings, in fact I believe winning all the time hinders popularity. Nobody likes a guy who always wins. And win CONSISTENTLY? The guy is popular, but he ain't Jesus. Tony Stewart hasn't won a race all season either but to say he's not a great driver is a huge delusion.

Also, not one of the top 5 drivers? How about finishing in the top 5 in 3 out of the last 4 seasons? Does that not count for anything?

I guess to you, probably not.

To be honest, I'm not really a Dale Jr. fan. It's not that I don't like him, I don't feel one way or the other about him. I'm a Tony Stewart, Denny Hamlin, and Mark Martin kind of guy. But I know a great driver when I see one, and Dale Jr. is a great driver.

I'm not wrong at all. He doesn't live up to the hype. Period. The guy hasn't won a race in a year. He is a non factor every year. Even when he makes the chase he doesn't contend for the championship. My point was, for him to be as popular as he is you would think he would be a better driver. He isn't anywhere close to Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, or Kenseth's league. He isn't even in Hamlin's league and he's only been in the sport for a little over a year. Well in the Nextel Cup series, anyway. You can't call a guy that has never won a championship in Nascar "great" unless you're talking about someone like Mark Martin. So don't give me this crap about Junior being great. He isn't. He's basically an average driver, maybe slightly above.

How so?

Dude, of course it would be a good move if all your considering is from a marketability standpoint. I'm talking about all the pressure he would be under driving a car with that number. The pressure on him would be enormous. Some from his fans. But mostly what he would bring upon himself. Imagine if he got in the 3 car and his career took a nosedive, similiar to what M Waltrip's has? I just don't want the guy to have to go through everything that would involve him driving that car. And im not even a fan of his. And from all reports I've read he probably wouldn't do it. Think about it, dude. Dale Sr=76 career wins, 7 championships.....Dale Jr=17 career wins, ZERO championships. He doesn't need that looming on his shoulders. He's already been through enough as it is.

Archived