Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

daschle all of a sudden is offended...

jaydean

you know, here's what really ticks me off about politics. here is senator tom daschle, the pride of aberdeen south dakota, (right where i live and work), and he totally gets behind trent lott a couple of days ago and says that we all say things we don't mean and that lott didn't mean anything by it. NOW, ALL OF A SUDDEN, HE'S DEMANDING AN APOLOGY FROM LOTT, and he wants president bush to intervene. sounds like some democrats got a hold of daschle and said that you know we got our butts kicked in the election, now the republicans own the white house, and all of congress, this is all we have to live for is to try to run trent lott out of town. this really ticks me off...we have a lot more important things to worry about in this country other than this bulls***.

Daschle was ready to let all that slide until his own party started giving him the business. Rush played a clip of Maxine Waters saying as much ... that Daschle let Lott off the hook WAY too fast and WAY too easily. Now Daschle has gone back to being offended again. He's a joke.

Interestingly, a caller to a local radio show here this morning stated that Lott, seemingly saying the same thing in a 1980 speech in Mississippi (rally for Reagan I believe), said that "if we had gotten the job done 30 years ago we wouldn't be in this mess today." I can't speak for the accuracy of this so consider it heresay. Interesting heresay, though.

Since so some on here seem offended that Daschle would switch his opinion, I just thought I would link this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45700-2002Dec12.html

What about Bush? Does he get blasted for thinking making a mistake once is okay but twice is not. That's what Daschle was saying too. HE was fine with it when it was one comment made at a 100 year old's birthday, but a history of them sets back the Republican party, and quite frankly sets back the whole US. There are things we as a country need to be able to deal with especially welfare without them being turned into race issues. Having Lott as a spokesperson/leader of Congress promotes the appearance of impropriety.

That's a shame.

As a dem, I'm torn. On one hand I'd like him to stay in his current spot for a few more years. I'd like to be able to tar the Republicans as racist like they tarred the democrats as immoral because of Clinton. I'd think it was for the most part based on nontruth, just as Gore getting painted as corrupt by association with Clinton. However, how many of you conservatives minded that Gore was painted with same brush in terms of tarninshing the Presidency during the election?

As an American, I can't think of anything I'd like less. I want a government about getting things done not torn along race lines or torn over whether the sexual life of a political figure is any of our business.

gbear.....there is some common ground....however, you do happen to bring up an issue that I was thinking about last night irt public figures and privacy......I have to disagree along the following grounds: if an individual, say a President for instance, is in a position where he voices opinions that shape values or advocates policy that influences private behavior, then his private life is very much in play and subject for public inspection. how far this carries I'm not sure, but I am sure that it is legitimate.

I must have missed where Bush changed his opinion.

I've been pretty vocal about my criticism after first defending him. But my change was based on learning what the ONLY issue the dixiecrats had.

Daschle changed his mind for PURELY political reason and gain. He couldn't care less about the comment itself.

fan since 62,

totally off subject but your posts interests me.

Do we extend this look at the private life down to the governors level? Heck, I think they have more of an impact about laws that are personal in nature in this day and age. Just curious. I understand that we the voters, lacking knowledge on how a person once elected will act in given situations, should be entitled to any clues we can get. That being said at what point do we say enough is enough, and what are reasonable expectations? Are these expectations, for example that a president not cheat on his wife, realistic? Are we as a people capable of realising when we set angelic standards? I don't know the answers to the questions above. Perhaps this should be a side issue. How much do you want to know about the canidates? I think the Dems and the Republicans have both been hypocrits on this issue. The Dems say it's no big deal with Clinton, but then look for clues in judical nominations. The Republicans say look at our guys' performance in judical nominations then blast Clinton.

Kilmer, the first night through today Bush refused to comment with his office saying it was a nonissue. That is taking a stance, much like the supreme court not hearing a case is a decision. He was supporting Lott by saying nothing and hoping it would just blow over.

Just so we're straight on something, are you now saying that Daschle changed his tune because of preassure, but Bush just now suddenly thinks there is something wrong with the statements? Sorry, but I suspect both are bowing to the political preassure from within their parties and from without their parties.

I dont believe that you honestly think not making a statement is the same thing.

Bush's first comment on the issue was to slap Lott pretty good for it and denounce it.

Daschle spoke his heart, and then saw a polical opportunity and changed his tune.

And I suppose you think Bush just didn't know about Lott's comment until yesterday? Please... he was hoping it would blow over and only made a big deal about it for 2 reasons:

1) The liberal press blasted Lott and the Republicans

2) The conservative press blasted Lott and to some extent the Republican leadership for not commenting.

Bush saw these things and reacted, just like Dashle did. Heck, I'm a liberal and I think too much is being made out of this. I'm sure that's what Bush and Daschle both thought too. Then one saw political advantage and another saw political weekness. Maybe they both saw both if they are shrewd politicians. Let's not pretend either of them suddenly feeling the need to take shots at Lott out of anything but political gain/loss stances. Maybe you believe that, but I'm too much of a skeptic to believe that.

Bush didnt say that Communism was bad yesterday, I guess that means he doesnt think it is.

We have 2 politicians here.

Bush and Daschle.

1 did the right thing and denounced Lotts statements. The other supported him then changed his stance once opinion polls and his puppetmasters in the DNC told him to.

Is it impossible for Democrats to give the President praise for doing the right thing? It's such a shill position. Give the man the credit he deserves on this.

LAst I checked, Communism wasn't an issue yesterday. Lotts comments were. I know you think I am only a Democrat blasting away at Bush for not commenting, but I would remind you that there were many in the conservative press doing so long before me. HE SHOULD HAVE COMMENTED when his comment could be taken for anything other than a political move to appease.

It's amazing that you can criticize him for not speaking out immediately. I would bet that if he commented on it the day after it was said you would criticize him for not saying something the same day.

The Liberal spin notwithstanding. Bush did the right thing. Daschle followed the Dems path of playing politics as usual.

So I'm guessing it's okay for Bush to take longer than us here on the board? Longer than the conservative press which denounced Lott's comments quickly? My point is that he had the opportunity and didn't take it until he was forced to.

Interesting that we find ourselves on opposite sides of this given our forced to do the right thing debate when it comes to taxes. Ah well, we don't have to be consistant (either of us).

Did he ultimately do the right thing, I guess. BUt if you're giving points out for just doing the right thing regardless of motivation, why are you so against what Daschle did? I just can't believe you don't see Bush's comments are purely political too. I guess we'll just disagree on this one.

I know WHY he's doing it. But he came out at first and spoke his heart. Only after he saw the opportunity did he change his mind. If he was offended by it he should have spoken out about it at first. HIs changing says to me that he didn't have a problem with it. Which is just as disgusting IMO as what Lott said.

His supposed outrage is not because Lott said something wrong. It's outrage PURELY for political gain. It's not genuine. It's a flip flop based on polling and party pressure. We saw Clinton run his administration the same way. It stinks.

Why do the republicans going around making these lame excuses for Lott and attempt to change the subject to Clinton? Oh let me answer! It's because that's what they always do and that's why they are in big trouble if they don't cut this Lott guy loose!

I hope they keep making excuses and keep Lott as the leader! Make my day!

I, for one, am not. Lott needs to go.

I know the Dems are hypocrites. I know the media has two standards when it comes to reporting these kind of issues. I EXPECT the GOP to be the bigger party and hold themselves to a higher standard. I think GOPers should take their lead from the President and stop trying to defend the indefensible.

I think that Clintons praise of Fulbright was disgusting, but using it as a reason to excuse Lott's gaffe is terrible. It's something that I expect from the Dems and it disgusts me to hear the GOP stoop to there level.

Archived