Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Base Defense

moneyede

Don't forget to tell them about how Rocky won't be playing. There are a lot of reasons we shouldn't do the Briggs trade. But honestly I think it would be because we have so much invested in Rocky, and have a solid tackler playing his original position in Lemar.

I know Gregg Williams plays many defensive sets, but what does he play the most. With Springs, Smoot, and Rogers it seems a waste to get Briggs because we will have some player getting big money that is not playing.

My top sticky makes me wish it was tomorrow already :).

The Redskins are founded on stopping the run with seven players. That requires very lively, active linebackers because the line is asked to catch and release -- engage the lineman, read the play, then shed. Our defensive line was the best and very close to the best in the league AGAINST the run for two years, while being average, then below average rushing the passer. Last year it was, on the whole, average against the run -- deteriorating to bad as injuries came in -- and the worst rushing the passer.

A portion of the failures behind them is on the defensive line. A GREATER portion of the failures of the line is on the people behind them. We've improved those people some this year. It can't hurt to continue doing that, while potentially ALSO adding someone up front.

Archived