Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: George Edwards possible 2003 D coordinator

Awesome

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, December 5, 2002; Page D02

Coach Steve Spurrier said yesterday he is getting rookie Patrick Ramsey about one-quarter of the practice-field work at quarterback, readying the Washington Redskins' first-round draft pick for some playing time during the season's final four games.

Danny Wuerffel is taking the bulk of the snaps during practice, Spurrier said, and is scheduled to start Sunday against the New York Giants at FedEx Field. Spurrier indicated that Ramsey could play Sunday, saying: "It depends on how the game goes."

Spurrier said this week that Ramsey's next start could come Dec. 22 against the Houston Texans. The rookie hasn't had any extensive playing time since struggling in his first two NFL starts in October after leading the Redskins to a win in Tennessee in relief of Wuerffel in his pro debut.

"He said I'd be the number two guy and he'd give me an opportunity to play at some point," Ramsey said of his conversations with Spurrier. "I'm anxious to have an opportunity to play again. . . . I didn't really play well the last game I played in. I would love to go in and play better and feed off of that in the offseason."

Coaching Shuffle?

Some members of the organization believe linebackers coach George Edwards would receive strong consideration to replace Marvin Lewis as defensive coordinator if Lewis leaves for a head coaching job in the offseason. Edwards is listed as the Redskins' assistant defensive coordinator. He spent four seasons on the Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff before coming to the Redskins, and played for Spurrier at Duke University and coached for him at the University of Florida.

It is unclear how much consideration the Redskins would give to their other defensive assistants, line coach Ricky Hunley and secondary coach George Catavolos. Lewis says he would be receptive to a college head-coaching job, and he appears to be a top candidate at Michigan State. But it's uncertain if he'll be in line for any NFL head-coaching opportunities this winter, and some Redskins officials believe they will be able to retain him. . . .

The Redskins signed linebacker Orantes Grant, formerly of the Cowboys. . . . New punter Craig Jarrett is serving as the holder for new place kicker Jose Cortez.

© 2002 The Washington Post Company

It's so apparant how much better Mark Maske is than some of those other hacks the Post has writing about the Redksins. No spin, and great inside information.

I am all for this if Lewis leaves.

Edwards' stock was on the rise even when he was with the Cowdungs, and he has played and coached for Spurrier before.

He just needs to turn to the page that shows the DB's always playing on the same side of the field in the playbook and RIP IT OUT! ;)

This is a tough call.

I was happy about Lewis coming over, but looking at it now it's too bad we didn't keep Schott (Kurt) as DC considering the way the defense was playing at the end of the year last season. We would have had continuity and been spared the struggles to learn this system. We would have better players at LB and wouldn't be facing ANOTHER change if Lewis lands a job somewhere.

Ah well, can't change the past. :)

While I think Schottenheimer did a decent job here, Im not sure he is the all-world defensive coordinator everyone makes him to be. Remember his KC defenses werent that great, generally middle of the pack.

In addition the current Detroit defense is ranked 28th in the league. While some of that is talent issues, they are giving up 370 yard a game, almost 40 yards more a game than they gave up last year.

So for my money I think the continuity of having Lewis who has a known product that works, is a far better choice for us.

Originally posted by Storm

While I think Schottenheimer did a decent job here, Im not sure he is the all-world defensive coordinator everyone makes him to be. Remember his KC defenses werent that great, generally middle of the pack.. [/quote

============================================

wasn't kurt just a positions coach on the def. in KC????gunther cunningham was martys def coach in kc for a few years and replaced him as head coach.remember those defences with n.smith,d.thomas,d.edwards,j.hasty $ d.carter.in my recollection they terrorized opponents consistently.that's how marty won,defence/running the ball & special teams.pretty much everything were having problems with this year.

getting back to edwards.give him a chance if he's going to maintain the same system more or less.find out first though if he's willing to adapt his system to our players strengths i.e arrington & more man coverage(i know were playing it more now)

That's all well and good, but I don't think that Lewis is going anywhere, for a few reasons.

1 (and most important)--There aren't going to be many openings. In the AFC, everyone's around.500 and in playoff contention except for Cincy and Houston. Houston's not getting a new coach, so that's one possible opening there. In the NFC, Holmgren's in jeopardy in Seattle, and who knows what Millen might do in Detroit, but there aren't many jobs opening there either. There's always a surprise or two, but I don't see more than four jobs out there.

2--The Redskins defense has been unimpressive despite some impressive talent.

3--The word out there is that he isn't a good interview and, in some very limited dealings with him, I can see where that comes from. He has this air of being aloof and superior when it comes to dealing with the media. I can see being an owner and talking to him and thinking, "Do I want this guy to be my team's face to the media?"

Kurt Schottenheimer was the D coordinator under Cunningham in Kansas City for two years after Marty left. Didnt do anything note worthy with that team.

He was also the specials team coach at one point. We may want to bring him back for that position.

I think a lot of the Def's great play last season was based on our RUN RUN RUN and RUN some more offense. Here are our Time of Poss. stats from the final 8 games:

WAS (33:20) - DEN (26:40)

WAS (37:49) - PHI (22:11)

WAS (25:33) - DAL (34:27)

WAS (33:44) - ARZ (26:16)

WAS (33:48) - PHI (26:12)

WAS (33:39) - CHI (26:21)

WAS (32:35) - NOL (27:25)

WAS (40:07) - ARZ (19:53)

The only game we lost the TOP in was against Dallas (shocking :rolleyes:), and that was a game in which SD rushed for only 53 yards.

I realize TOP comes down to the offense as well as the defense, but I don't really think Kurt was as responsible for our great Defensive work in the 2nd half of last season as a lot of people give him credit for.

Remember his KC defenses werent that great, generally middle of the pack. In addition the current Detroit defense is ranked 28th in the league.
Kurt Schottenheimer was the D coordinator under Cunningham in Kansas City for two years after Marty left. Didnt do anything note worthy with that team.
Who cares what Kurt Schottenheimer's defenses were like with other teams and other players? When he was here he had them playing at a VERY high level. Other than the first month, that was the kind of defense I'd like to see around here. They were a top-5 defense and we finished 8-3 DESPITE a horrible offense (and only gave up 3 FGs in one of the losses).

Doesn't really matter now, but ... what might have been, y'know?

Originally posted by Brave

Who cares what Kurt Schottenheimer's defenses were like with other teams and other players? When he was here he had them playing at a VERY high level. Other than the first month, that was the kind of defense I'd like to see around here. They were a top-5 defense and we finished 8-3 DESPITE a horrible offense (and only gave up 3 FGs in one of the losses).

Doesn't really matter now, but ... what might have been, y'know?

==============================================

EXACTLY BRAVE

Archived